Author Topic: old timers  (Read 4189 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: old timers
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 03:18:34 PM »
That's it!

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 03:30:48 PM »
I played Warbirds (VF-101) from it's open beta to the split into Aces High and WWII Online. Played both for a while until settling on AH for a couple of years before quitting altogether, coming back almost 20 years later. Can I claim Old Timer status?

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 05:46:14 PM »
Read about it back then in one of the popular computer magazines while in the AF on Okinawa. Was anxious to get back stateside to try it and did '90-'92. GEnie at $6/hr.

Man, I can remember people making $6 an hour back then. Not me fortunately.

I bought Air Warrior on a CD ROM, around 1994 I think. I had it and a hard copy manual for at least 20 years. I think that I actually had 2-3 of the CD's.They probably got lost during the deevorce about 6-7 years ago.

Only played Warbirds for a very short time. Was a closed beta tester for WIIOL, WoT, and WoW. Was also in the closed beta for the AH Tour of Duty. I was really sad about that dying, I had really high hopes for it.

I think I still have Silent Hunter III (U.S. subs) and Over Flanders Fields.

Wow, I have burned a ton of time gaming.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2023, 06:03:29 PM »
Man, I can remember people making $6 an hour back then. Not me fortunately.

I bought Air Warrior on a CD ROM, around 1994 I think. I had it and a hard copy manual for at least 20 years. I think that I actually had 2-3 of the CD's.They probably got lost during the deevorce about 6-7 years ago.

Only played Warbirds for a very short time. Was a closed beta tester for WIIOL, WoT, and WoW. Was also in the closed beta for the AH Tour of Duty. I was really sad about that dying, I had really high hopes for it.

I think I still have Silent Hunter III (U.S. subs) and Over Flanders Fields.

Wow, I have burned a ton of time gaming.

I would have liked to come back to the tour of duty. Can you share how fare it got and some of what you liked about it. It all happened during my absence.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 08:52:23 PM »
Read about it back then in one of the popular computer magazines while in the AF on Okinawa. Was anxious to get back stateside to try it and did '90-'92. GEnie at $6/hr.

Computer Gaming World #67 January 1990,  page 14,  Lost in the Ozone again - "Air Warrior" on GEnie by Dale Archibald

That is the article that drew me in..

Magazine here..  available in pdf.

https://cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php?year=1990&pub=2&id=67
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 01:55:58 AM »
Man, those were the days.

And yet, what we have today is vastly better.

I just feel like, overall, pilots today lack the enthusiasm they had back them, when the computer world was shiny and new.

I've still got that enthusiasm, though, these 35 years later!  :aok

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 03:23:55 AM »
Computer Gaming World #67 January 1990,  page 14,  Lost in the Ozone again - "Air Warrior" on GEnie by Dale Archibald

That is the article that drew me in..

Magazine here..  available in pdf.

https://cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php?year=1990&pub=2&id=67

Heyyy, page 17, M1 Tank Platoon! That's the first game I ever played and I still have it in original box somewhere in dungeons.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2023, 06:35:50 AM »
Man, those were the days.

And yet, what we have today is vastly better.

I just feel like, overall, pilots today lack the enthusiasm they had back them, when the computer world was shiny and new.

I've still got that enthusiasm, though, these 35 years later!  :aok

Back then, there weren’t a lot of quality choices. First time I logged into AW in 89 and saw what appeared to be a furball, that was true eye candy for me, that hook set in my mouth. All of hose planes are humans? Thats bada—. What made it bad, my current pc couldn’t pull the game. I think I had 12 fps. Which made me to become tech-ish to solve my own problems. Tried and tried, barely got there. Tried other sims, but they just didn’t hit the mark. About the same time AOL hosted the game I got a used 386 (wow, lol) I was finally in full time. FPS troubles is where a tech was born.

I stayed AW until the end too. Boom boom out go the lights, and here I is.

True, attitudes are different. They have a lot more choices.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 08:34:07 AM by Animl-AW »
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 08:31:23 PM »
I was absolutely mesmerized by that early gameplay and the graphics...  Not sure why, maybe it was the newness of it, the pure excitement, but I have more memories of epic A2A combat encouters with early versions of Warbirds than I ever did with AcesHigh.  Its odd, I cannot pinpoint why...
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2023, 09:02:20 PM »
Don’t forget we are a couple generations further removed from WWII. It’s taught less in schools as we grow older and new history emerges. Our current youth does not have the same romance with the period that us Boomer and Gen Xer’s do.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2023, 11:55:00 AM »
I was watching a piece the other day. They asked some college age folks questions... when was the attack on Pearl Harbor? One answer, in the 1980s. Where is Pearl Harbor? Answer, somewhere in Florida.

Yes many people are uneducated in todays world. They may graduate, but they wasted their time doing things other than learning.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2023, 12:11:59 PM »
I was watching a piece the other day. They asked some college age folks questions... when was the attack on Pearl Harbor? One answer, in the 1980s. Where is Pearl Harbor? Answer, somewhere in Florida.

Yes many people are uneducated in todays world. They may graduate, but they wasted their time doing things other than learning.

Very true. Schools and universities are not teaching people how to live or be civilized. Pressure is to make another brick in the wall, which competes with other bricks in earnings and show off items.

Also folks have a tendency to mix education with intelligence. Even totally uneducated person can have high IQ and well educated one be dumb as a dumpster.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2023, 12:15:28 PM »
Heyyy, page 17, M1 Tank Platoon! That's the first game I ever played and I still have it in original box somewhere in dungeons.

I played the heck out of M1 Tank Platoon.  Clancy's book Red Storm Rising and Team Yankee drove it.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2023, 06:45:16 PM »
Flying Circus (Duckwing Squad !) was my first MMOG :D then AW until they closed, went into AH when it came out into open Beta testing. dabbled a bit in WB but dunno prefered AH.
Then became a Professional Pilot in real life, found a Girl and stopped simming (or any other gaming) for a loong long time.
AH has been on my Laptop always and out of nostalgia i started it up today and it`s been patching ever since  :rolleyes:

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2023, 07:33:55 PM »
Flying Circus (Duckwing Squad !) was my first MMOG :D then AW until they closed, went into AH when it came out into open Beta testing. dabbled a bit in WB but dunno prefered AH.
Then became a Professional Pilot in real life, found a Girl and stopped simming (or any other gaming) for a loong long time.
AH has been on my Laptop always and out of nostalgia i started it up today and it`s been patching ever since  :rolleyes:
AHII ended awhile ago so you will not be able to connect AHIII is the newest version and might not run on your current Laptop if you have AHII then it is pretty dated I would assume
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named