Author Topic: Masters of the Air Trailer 2  (Read 1821 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Masters of the Air Trailer 2
« on: December 18, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Masters of the Air Trailer 2
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »
Looks awesome, also looks like the Tuskegee Airmen will get some episodes according to what I've read.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
And here I thought this was going to be about the Mighty Eighth, weird...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »
Yeah, the Tuskegee Airmen reference throws me a bit when the series is supposed to be based on the book, "Masters of the Air", which I believe is strictly about the 8th AF's ETO bombing campaign.

I'm still hoping for the best; I'm hoping for such success it spawns another Band of Brothers type historically accurate, gritty story based on the Flying Tigers in China.  I'm hoping it generates renewed wide-spread interest in WWII flight sims.  (Aces High being the only one where you can fly a B-17 or B-24 in a multiplayer environment).

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 01:51:27 PM »
They have to fit our civics lesson into it somewhere...

Hollywood can't help themselves these days

Wondering how they are going to get a chick into it as the hero...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 02:05:28 PM »
Yeah, the Tuskegee Airmen reference throws me a bit when the series is supposed to be based on the book, "Masters of the Air", which I believe is strictly about the 8th AF's ETO bombing campaign.

I'm still hoping for the best; I'm hoping for such success it spawns another Band of Brothers type historically accurate, gritty story based on the Flying Tigers in China.  I'm hoping it generates renewed wide-spread interest in WWII flight sims.  (Aces High being the only one where you can fly a B-17 or B-24 in a multiplayer environment).

Imagine being upset about it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 02:08:23 PM »
Imagine being upset about it.
Trolls gonna troll. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 02:13:50 PM »

Spikes and I looked into it after the first trailer came out.

The 100th BG went to Ukraine as part of one of the Operation Frantic shuttle bombing missions. On their return trip, they went to Italy and did a couple of missions with the 15th AF. So it's possible that they did encounter the pilots in the 332nd FG. I haven't read the book, but I figure there's some mention in there if it occurred.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 02:24:25 PM »
Trolls gonna troll. :)

I guess there is some legitimate concern that the greatest film producers in our lifetimes might honor the Tuskegee Airmen better than the stinkburger that was "Redtails" or the 1995 Made for TV movie "The Tuskegee Airmen"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 05:46:09 PM »
I guess there is some legitimate concern that the greatest film producers in our lifetimes might honor the Tuskegee Airmen better than the stinkburger that was "Redtails" or the 1995 Made for TV movie "The Tuskegee Airmen"

I hope you didn't get that impression from my post, Nefarious.  The Tuskegee Airmen deserve our unbounded admiration and gratitude for what they accomplished and what they put up with; theirs is a remarkable record of achievement.  I'm just hoping for tight historical accuracy, authentic dialogue for the period, a compelling story and great music and effects.  If it doesn't turn out that way, I'll be disappointed, but not upset.   If it gets close to the quality of Band of Brothers, it'll still be great.

Hollywood being a business, I suppose the do have to make sure its appealing to many different audiences, so it makes money.   

Thank you Devil, for pointing out the possibility of an accurate story of the Mighty 8th that includes missions with the Tuskegee Airmen.  I have the book so I better get it back on my nightstand. 

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 08:13:13 PM »
I hope you didn't get that impression from my post, Nefarious.

lol no, just some sarcasm.

I hypothesized the theory of the 100th BG-Tuskegee "crossover" in the first trailer post by Capt Trips. I don't have a problem with it at all and yes, if the producers can reach more people and inspire one more little boy to become an aviation
history enthusiast I will be pleased.

I might even go as far and say that maybe the two pilots cross paths in the prison camp they show in the trailer. Or maybe it's a small interlude between stories.

I don't care. Looking forward to January.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 11:26:21 PM »
The Tuskegee Airmen are not in Masters of the Air (the book) as far as I can tell.  The book is basically about the 8th AF.

I don't mind if the series occasionally jumps over to cover the Tuskegee Airmen as a separate plot.  However, I'm hoping that they don't go full Hollywood, mixing the 8th AF and Tuskegee Airmen into a non-historical mess that fails both 8th AF history and Tuskegee Airmen history.  I'll keep an open mind.

Overall, I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 06:45:14 AM »
The Tuskegee Airmen are not in Masters of the Air (the book) as far as I can tell.  The book is basically about the 8th AF.

I don't mind if the series occasionally jumps over to cover the Tuskegee Airmen as a separate plot.  However, I'm hoping that they don't go full Hollywood, mixing the 8th AF and Tuskegee Airmen into a non-historical mess that fails both 8th AF history and Tuskegee Airmen history.  I'll keep an open mind.

Overall, I'm greatly looking forward to it.

^This, exactly.   We'll just have to wait and see; as Devil and Spikes discovered its historically plausible that the two groups crossed paths.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 10:39:17 AM »
I wouldn't hold your breath that they are NOT going to go full hollywood. The opening scenes of this trailer were of the obligatory love interest. I am just wondering if they are going to rewrite "history" in a woke manner as well with the also obligatory trans person(s).
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 10:50:21 AM »

My guess is that it will be a concurrent\parallel story line like they did in Pacific.

It may not have been have been in the book, but no law says they can't expand the storylines as an example of other Masters of the Air.

There were some historical tweaks and misses in Band of Brothers too.  I can live with a little massaging as long as they don't jump the shark.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.