Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 24247 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2024, 08:14:36 PM »
If nothing else, DCS is good for some music videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHkwiB5ZNk

You guys make some for AH.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2024, 09:54:13 PM »
Hitech will survive beyond AH. He knew how to coad before Brandon recommended it.

Coding was invented by Al Gore.  That's why we have the famous programming language algore.  The original version of Aces High was programmed in algore.  Later versions in C, though.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2024, 10:01:42 PM »
Coding was invented by Al Gore.  That's why we have the famous programming language algore.  The original version of Aces High was programmed in algore.  Later versions in C, though.

So that's where algoreithm comes from.  Huh.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2024, 10:10:36 PM »
So that's where algoreithm comes from.  Huh.

:aok

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2024, 03:23:55 AM »
Anyway, to work all these sims and games need internment. Or was it interment? You know, that huge building somewhere, where all the online shops and youtubers are located.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2024, 07:55:44 AM »
How is the developer feedback in IL-2 since the shake up in the development team?

For those still actively flying in AH has there been any sightings of HT or him answering any questions on 200?

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2024, 08:49:15 AM »
How is the developer feedback in IL-2 since the shake up in the development team?

Since Enimga made this video, IL2 has revealed that the next product series is going to be Korea.  So at least a little communication has occurred.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2024, 09:22:20 AM »
Interesting.

So for WWII the only "new" developments coming are from DCS and Combat Pilot (which looks promising, but several years away).

DCS speculation is that there will be a release of WWII Marianas map, the F6F, F4U, LA-7, WWII carriers and Pacific A/I assets.  All possible within this year.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2024, 10:01:03 AM »
So for WWII the only "new" developments coming are from DCS and Combat Pilot (which looks promising, but several years away).

No other top tier efforts I'm aware of.

DCS speculation is that there will be a release of WWII Marianas map, the F6F, F4U, LA-7, WWII carriers and Pacific A/I assets.  All possible within this year.

That is the speculation, but I have less confidence in the F6F and LA-7.  Who knows.  Those are ED planes I believe and they are embarking on converting to Vulkan now so I don't know how much that will absorb their efforts.  So I don't know if those make this year, but I'm expecting the others to.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:57:03 AM by CptTrips »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2024, 10:04:16 AM »
There has been much anticipation for Vulkan in DCS. I've compared DirectX and Vulkan in other games and discerned little to no difference. Guessing Vulkan has better support for VR which isn't a factor for me. Maybe.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2024, 10:07:34 AM »
Interesting.

That’s all I need to know to not spend a dime on DCS. I also have no interest in the Korean theater. If IL2 went back to the pacific then they would get some of my time and chedda. I will stick with my modded IL2-1946.

For me the graphical and realism differences just do not outweigh the full service WWII experience we get here in AH.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2024, 10:15:47 AM »
40+ years ago I was amazed with Flight Simulator on the Commodore 64. Made me a little sad when they relatively recently decommissioned Meigs field. Funny how those primitive graphics were more satisfying than a few years later when they first started texturing those polygons. The former left most to your imagination. The latter was just too ugly and interfered with the imagination. 

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2024, 10:20:32 AM »
40+ years ago I was amazed with Flight Simulator on the Commodore 64. Made me a little sad when they relatively recently decommissioned Meigs field. Funny how those primitive graphics were more satisfying than a few years later when they first started texturing those polygons. The former left most to your imagination. The latter was just too ugly and interfered with the imagination.

Was Chuck Yeager’s flight sim on my Apple IIgs for me. Then I got way into the the Microsoft combat flight sims. CFS3 was and is still my fave. The dynamic war aspect was I cool. I think that’s why I gravitated to AH so easily.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2024, 10:38:32 AM »
There has been much anticipation for Vulkan in DCS. I've compared DirectX and Vulkan in other games and discerned little to no difference. Guessing Vulkan has better support for VR which isn't a factor for me. Maybe.

Well, even for 2D, if you can jack up performance, that is just more visual quality you can pump in for the same FPS.  Better filters, more advanced effects, higher resolution textures, etc.

I think graphics are very important.  Perhaps not in keeping committed players, but certainly in providing "curb appeal" to a prospective customer. 

The graphics they see in the trailers, review videos, screenshots, etc, form the initial emotional reaction they have to a product.  That sorta sets the tone of how they emotionally approach their evaluation.  Great graphics already have them excited and they approach the eval like, "Oh man this is going to be awesome!"  At that point the sell is yours to lose.  You still have to have a good game behind that, but you have set the initial conditions favorable to your argument.  Before they have even downloaded the game, you already have them half won.

If the graphics they see in the trailers, review videos, screenshots, etc, suck, they may not even give the game a chance at all.  Or if they do, they have already formed an initial negative emotional reaction to a product.  That sorta sets the tone of how they emotionally approach their evaluation.  Sucky graphics already have them skeptical and they approach the eval like, "I start it up to see if it is maybe better in RL than how it looked in the videos."  At that point you are having to work against friction.  The sell is going to be doubly hard now that you have to first overcome the initial impression.  Even if you have a good game behind that, you have set the initial conditions unfavorable to your argument.  Before they have even downloaded the game, they are already thinking this is going to suck.

And frankly, why wouldn't you want great graphics?  Really great graphics do increase emersion.  The more realistic it looks, the easier it is to suspend your disbelief and forget you are looking at a computer screen.  That is a legitimate factor.  If AH dumped texturing and just changed to wire-frame rendering, I can't believe the vast majority of players wouldn't say that makes the game worse.  So that is your proof that graphics are important, if they can have that level of effect.

What I think is that great graphics are a necessary, but not sufficient condition to success.

It is necessary that you have great graphics to lure in more players to try your game and start the evaluation excited and in a positive frame of mind, and to give the player a pleasant first impression with the UI design on the landing page.  But graphics aren't sufficient on their own, the mechanics of the game also have to be at the same high level to seal the deal.

I think it is hilarious that there was a big enough problem they had to release a public note about people using DCS to fake videos of air combat that looked so real they were passing it off as live witnessed iphone captures, and for a while people couldn't tell.  I mean that is sort of the visual equivalent of a Turing Test, right?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2024, 10:43:27 AM »
Seems Arma 3 has been used to fool people also. Have seen some war videos made with that which could have fooled me.