Author Topic: Aces High III - "2023 Events Montage"  (Read 371 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Aces High III - "2023 Events Montage"
« on: January 22, 2024, 07:07:52 PM »

Special Thanks to the following for their support and AH3 film contributions
Spikes   
Rud3boi
Sik1
Desmo
Tig
Saladbar
Violator
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:47:30 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High III - "2023 Events Montage"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 11:31:28 PM »
Really enjoyed watching this Animal.    I do think efforts like this film have the possibility of moving the needle and getting people to try out AH.  Well done!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 12:34:23 AM »

A few minor tweaks. YT still had it's way with the quality a little.

Special Thanks to the following for their support and AH3 film contributions
Spikes   
Rud3boi
Sik1
Desmo
Tig
Saladbar
Violator
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:36:10 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 12:49:06 AM »
Really enjoyed watching this Animal.    I do think efforts like this film have the possibility of moving the needle and getting people to try out AH.  Well done!

Thanks Oboe.

Made a few, mostly unnoticeable tweaks, and updated.
I hope you're right. I hope all the great videos put out recently have a positive effect. We have people with some visions, and skills.
I'm never happy with my end results, as I watched them 200 times lol. But I hope others enjoy them. I already spotted something else I could fix, time to move on. :)

I've got a MA (clips already waiting) and a Masters of the Air videos planned. I HOPE to get some films donated from both sides of the battles.
Provided the work season doesn't snatch me up again, which they say is coming early and hard, ....heavy LAST year in the biz :).....Stoked.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 01:03:40 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 07:16:46 AM »
Good stuff! I really enjoyed some of the twirling fight type clips...never been good at those. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 10:17:04 AM »
Whoa!
Audio mix sounds decent on pc spkrs and HPs,….NOT the same on cell phone spkrs. I may change that. Shoulda known better.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 04:20:12 PM »
Some stuff nice there! Was gonna the music was a bit loud but you seem to have found out.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 06:31:26 PM »
Some stuff nice there! Was gonna the music was a bit loud but you seem to have found out.

Depends what you're listening on. That's the issue in a recording studio and basically stuff like this. Sounds killer on headphones, always will...., doesn't sound the same on PC speakers, sounds worse on cell phone. Headphones sound like a touch to much volume on music. And this IS because on pc speakers the planes are louder, etc... blah.

Some guys turn their engines sounds down, if I'm using their file and didn't remix it in AH game, you'll have that.

The other reason why is,.. missing frequencies in speakers.

Will try to explain.

The full spectrum of sound, 20hz (lowest) - 20khz (highest), every freq is the same volume, 0. Scrible art, gives an idea in short what a Graphic EQ looks like. hz=x100s - khz =x1000s. We've all seen this on EQs.
Lowest 20hz....100hz.....220hz...500 hz....1khz......3.5khz.....6k hz....10khz.....13khz....20kh z Highest

Most planes are dominant between 100hz - 6khz
Music is between 40hz - 10khz (fuller spectrum)

When you dip down from HP to cheap PC spkr you usually lose everything below 100hz (the spkrs simply won't reproduce lower than 100hz) which means you lose a lot of music volume, since half it's spectrum is missing.

But the planes start sticking out in the mix because they are mostly still with in the range that's left, 300hz-6khz
This will get worse on a cell phone because you'll lose everything below 500hz, now the planes are just screaming, because the dip in music freqs.

It's an acid trip honey spot to hit on all 3 type spkrs.

In a recording studio for music, you have seriously great speakers, Headphones, Car Spkrs. This I so the engineer can make sure his mix sounds as good on car sprkrs as great spkrs and HPs.. Since cars, in the older days is where music is always playing. This is why they get the big bucks when millions is resting on the final product. We all have our own bag of tricks and we won't tell anyone most of them...it's how we make our money.

So remedy
1) find the honey compensation spot of volumes in a mix so it works DECENT on all and do a lot of praying.
2) do the above to a point and then use a compressor to make every freq closer to the same volume, attempting to drag those missing frqs up, higher freqs down,.. without touch the EQ. This is a good and bad because compress too much you ruin the EQing it just smashes everything to one level, dynamics is gone. We call this a flat-line mix.

Old MP3s, because of the devices and spkrs they played on,... used INSANE amount of compression to make that happen.is why they sound ike hell  compared to a .wav, which carries the full spectrum..

Why live bands will always sound better....no restrictions, one set of speakers, a lot more dynamics, cleaner. As long as the FOH sound engineer doesn't suck, or his ears so blown out he sucks.

This is why playing MP3s on cheap ear bugs are insanely horrible for your ears, and after time will irritate you, and you may not understand why. Your brain is rejecting every freq at the same level and trying to make sense of how the music should sound, your brain is working over-time, even while you sit and do nothing. Same thing when you think you hear the right lyrics and then find out it's not what you thought. it was indistinguishable and your brain filled in the missing blanks. Your brain always seeks the fastest connection to answer to a question, not always the right answer, it just wants to fill in that blank and move on.

Whats the cure so it sounds good on all, a soft honey spot compression setting where you're raising the floor of low freqs a little and holding down the highs a little. Trust me, it's an art. Doesn't mean a normal joe can't do it, the experienced just know the short way home.

All that said, real good In-Ear Monitors the artist use on stage these days, have up to 8 micro spkrs in each ear to cover a full spectrum. They cost between $3k-10k for a pair.

I way over talked it to some, under talked it to a pro. We're nerds.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 06:41:32 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 07:03:49 PM »
Was the plain old iPhone14 speaker. Wasn’t awful just a bit higher than the other sounds.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 07:04:46 PM »
Great Video Animl-AW
Thanks for sharing...
ZE

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 07:18:30 PM »
Yup.  I agree with Animl.

Ear fatigue issue was in my previous sounds, both in codecs and compressor settings.  Live and learn, and get gooder.  Took me awhile to figure out why something felt not right and to track down the issues, then learn to fix the issues.  Months later I now own balanced headphones and a pair of HS7s with half the room acoustically treated, with other half on my to do list. 

Part of my work flow, is I listen to the audio on over half a dozen different speaker systems, all with different settings, and adjust the mix to compromise.  Still all based on my own ears so that's a single point of failure :)  This is after Youtube's final compression impact.
Mixing is hard for some and I'm having difficulties for beginner techniques.  I use headphones to work on the details, and meters to see if I can free up any headroom or for any issues.   Sometimes learning new stuff is like taking 2 steps forward, and 1 step back. 

My first film Carrier Sortie was created in 5.1 surround sound.  I was very excited about it.  I think everyone listened to it on Stereo, and the method of downmixing by the codec to stereo created the vox audio to be inaudible.  I then reverted to stereo and mixed only on headphones, but this caused me to have slightly elevated vox audio to compensate for avoiding repeating that past issues, but the headphones didn't have enough power to reveal elevated vox audio.

Also, after listening to the same sounds over and over, your brain begins to still hear sounds that may no longer be there after changes made, or the program doesn't update the cache after changes in EQ, so you end up making more unnecessary changes.  :bhead    Gotta walk away or listen to something else to cleanse your palette.  Also, nothing is ever perfect, but just make sure to eat you're wheaties in the morning and always be willing to experiment new methods to doing the same thing, and save the file before experiments to allow ability to undo it all and go back to square one.   :bhead
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 07:37:22 PM »
Was the plain old iPhone14 speaker. Wasn’t awful just a bit higher than the other sounds.

Right and it will be different depending on what you listen to. Try HPs. Why? because I did basic theater mix with almost no compression. There is a theater mix and TV mix based on compression for everything you watch. I did a theater compression mix, if I wanted to hit all devices and it still sound awesome in everything,..I need different versions, I'm only doing one.

Why a cassette tape was compressed more then a LP. because it was usually played in cars, LP on a home system, less.

Check this out these numbers > Threshold/Ratio < the higher of either of these the more compression.

Threshold is at what volume the compressor grabs it to hold that volume, 0 is loudest output.
Ratio (done in multiples) tells me what volume (db) it kicks in to hold it down. It varies, depending on the idiot doing it.

Basically on an analyzer we are going after just the peaks, TV rushes itt, MP3 puts it through the floor.

Just loose examples, just showing how it climbs

Movie Theater = -3db/3:1 (a lot of dynamics)
Vynal LP = -6db/5:1
.WAV = -3db/4:1
Cassette = -9db/7:1
TV signal = -15db/21:1
MP3 = -20db/32:1

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 07:49:17 PM »
Also, after listening to the same sounds over and over, your brain begins to still hear sounds that may no longer be there after changes made, or the program doesn't update the cache after changes in EQ, so you end up making more unnecessary changes.  :bhead    Gotta walk away or listen to something else to cleanse your palette.  Also, nothing is ever perfect, but just make sure to eat you're wheaties in the morning and always be willing to experiment new methods to doing the same thing, and save the file before experiments to allow ability to undo it all and go back to square one.   :bhead

This is absolute, especially in concert $etup trying to EQ the room. Some guys will stay at it until they dig a pit it he ground they can't get out of without starting over, setup time limits to sound check.

My rule of thumbs is, and I'll press it on the FOH engineer when I catch him doing it. Because if he looks bad I look bad, we all look bad. If you can't nail it in 10-30 minutes, WALK AWAY.  Take 5-10 minutes away from that sound and come back. You'll hear it differently, and you'll make more secure decisions. I've babysat some designated band monitor engineers on our system and watch them just cook their career because they won't take a break, and in a cold panic, dug a pit in a situation where, go ahead blow just one show,... you're done. You're not going to fare well in this biz. His panic crushed him. I do it in 3-10, or I walk away. No time to gamble.

There is mostly infinite ways to come to the same result. What's your poison?
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 09:20:28 PM »
Best to listen with Headphones, or full range home speakers like on TV w/soundbar.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks