Author Topic: So happy this game still exists!  (Read 1584 times)

Offline wormburn

• Zinc Member
So happy this game still exists!
« on: March 18, 2024, 10:32:26 PM »
I was an old player of this game from the time it was created until version 2.  I am ecstatic to see this game still here!  I just got a new computer can't wait to get in the action again after all these years.  What are some major differences (positive and negative) I might notice?  Thanks for any input in advance.  <Salute> ps - Go Rooks

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: So happy this game still exists!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 01:55:54 AM »
Biggest difference is the latest version supports VR.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 01:59:57 AM »
Hi,
the main difference between AH2 and AH3 is that the video card is of much more importance than it was in the two first versions - back then a workstation laptop could run AH well, now you really need a gaming computer with a decent video card. Not necessarily a top shelf one, though, if you're only playing on a 1080p monitor. As Skuzzy said after the change, AH3 looks much better than AH2 even with all graphic settings disabled so if shimmering eye candy isn't on top of your list an entry level gamer should play smoothly.

The numbers aren't what they used to be but on American prime time there's still plenty of fighting going on.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 06:26:59 AM »
Radar has changed:

"Dot dar" now shows aircraft shapes instead of dots.  This shows different shapes for fighters and bombers, and shows their direction of travel.

The new "dot dar" now shows any enemy within icon range of a friendly -- anywhere on the map, regardless of the state of base radars.  (In addition to any enemy aircraft within range of working friendly base radar.)

There is a new "gv dar", a red square that shows up on the map when an enemy vehicle is within 10 miles of your position.  The square is 3x3 miles and the vehicle can be anywhere within it.

Welcome back!
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 06:59:19 AM »
I’m glad it’s still here too. Even though it’s a shell of its former self, it still provides just enough fun to keep me subscribed. You’ll find that the player base that is still here has an overall higher skill level because most of us who still play have been here a long time.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 07:45:39 AM »
Best sim going for a2a ww2 action with live opponents imo..

VR is implemented the best in AH and suggest giving that a go for an experience like nothing else

Welcome back!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 08:03:20 AM »
Welcome back, sir!  :salute
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 09:46:12 AM »
Best game hands down and best damn community online! I also recently got back and it is just as much fun now, if not more. Hope to see you in the skies soon  :salute
Squadron: Arabian Knights

In Game Name: AKBaloo

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 10:31:37 AM »
First, you’re not alone in returning.

I haven’t gotten around to a lot of things, VR is top on the bucket list.

The films and videos I’ve seen shows VR in AH3 is a major improvement in 3D graphics and immersion. It’s another world, on steroids. Very impressive.

It’s still the same addicting fun. Maybe better, as stated, these guy (and gals) are well seasoned. The bar has been raised on competitive skill level. Many have been at it for 15-35 yrs.

The community is a lot tighter than bbs can indicate. Lot of words, but again, these relationships are well aged over 25 yrs. It has a more home feeling, squabbles and all.

I left in 2010-ish under AH2. I returned last year under AH3. So it is a new game to a lot who did the same. To me its twice as good as AH2.

Numbers are much lower than the peak era when I left. However, I was not a big fan of over crowded MA. Too much like fish in a barrel, IMO. I would log off if it was at max numbers. IMO 300-400 would be more intimate and comfortable.

When I came back MA average numbers was way low, 90-110 at prime time. This is just below critical mass of 100-120 to be able to find action and good battles.

With players producing more videos again, getting the word out that the game still exist, numbers of return (and some new) players brought the MA arena’s average at prime time up to 120-155, crossing critical mass. If its above 110 you’re going to have a good time. Weekends prime time can easily hit 160. Remember, 10 is basically one horde.

The “Masters if the Air” scenario and the awesome advertising by players brought both events arena and MA to 200. 115 just for MotA, the largest participation in 5-7 years.

You’ll be happy you returned. Return players tend to appreciate the game more than before.
Because many of the same names, it will feel like home.

Welcome back!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 10:36:10 AM by Animl-AW »
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Animl's Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 10:39:27 AM »
AH3 will be whole new game to you. Welcome back.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 11:20:24 PM »
Huuuuzzzzzahhh!
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 08:51:24 AM »
It's been a good enough game, even if a huge chunk of player base is gone, that's it's had me coming back many times over the past 20 years when life allows.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2024, 10:25:52 AM »
It's been a good enough game, even if a huge chunk of player base is gone, that's it's had me coming back many times over the past 20 years when life allows.

Saw your name in the arena yesterday for the first time in years! I always enjoy seeing familiar names from the AH2 days!
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024, 11:18:06 AM »
Saw your name in the arena yesterday for the first time in years! I always enjoy seeing familiar names from the AH2 days!

Yep. Agreed, sir. Life has kept me busy. It's a little harder getting online with the squad from the Philippines time zone. I just recently came back Stateside for a while, so I plan on being online more through this summer.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline uglymuder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 08:08:43 PM »
Also glad to see this game is still going strong! I played back around 2012 to 2016 (back when I was just a kid really), and would like to get back into it soon. I used to love the big furballs and the tank battles (particularly on the map with the central island). Between work and other hobbies I don't get much time to game, but I think I'm going to get a new stick here in a few months and give it a go again.