Author Topic: Why not go Free to play?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline 99kashus

• Zinc Member
Why not go Free to play?
« on: March 31, 2024, 11:37:07 PM »
Why not got free to play? Honestly, adding a few payable plane skins that are unique, would earn this game well over their subscription numbers. Why hold on to this archaic model? 2003 player commenting. I'd always play this if it were free to play and contribute. A sub model is just silly. Please devs before your concerns become reality. Such a good game.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why not go Free to play?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 12:28:34 AM »
We have hundreds of players trying out the game every month.  They only stay a few short minutes.    Free planes don't change that dynamic when 30 free days (of access to ALL the planes) aren't even used...

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 01:11:23 AM »
It cost to run game servers, maintenance and customer service. It could never be free.

Think of it this way. It's the price of a Burger King meal that's gone in 10 minutes :)

In other choices, you're either paying for game play with free planes, or free game play and buy planes or scripted missions with AI.

This is probably the least expensive route you'll find, better yet for 100% multiplayer arenas.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 02:57:51 AM »
We have hundreds of players trying out the game every month.  They only stay a few short minutes.    Free planes don't change that dynamic when 30 free days (of access to ALL the planes) aren't even used...

I presume it is because of pretty realistic gameplay w/o external views and arcade modes. Probably those who have been playing some of those massive multiplayer arcades like World of Warplanes/Tanks/Gadgets or War Thunder find AH much too demanding.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 04:14:20 AM »
I presume it is because of pretty realistic gameplay w/o external views and arcade modes. Probably those who have been playing some of those massive multiplayer arcades like World of Warplanes/Tanks/Gadgets or War Thunder find AH much too demanding.

This games greatest strength is how dynamic it is but the Achilles heel is not having the population to support it. Aces high when prime had populated lobbys with no shortage of things you could pick to do from defending against GV attacks to flying 5 hours for a back door HQ kill. All while you are able to pick whatever base to tend to how high, or crowded you wanna fly. You had options unlike these competitors where spawns are fairly predictable and maps aren't even close in size.

When it came to dynamic gameplay Aces high was unmatched when it had its numbers. My personal opinion of course.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 05:35:48 AM »
A sub model is just silly

So where should that money come from instead?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 07:15:07 AM »

So where should that money come from instead?
Two tiered system.

Basic: Early war planes (or some basic planes/GVs) are free. Other than that..pay for perks. All planes/GVs outside early war cost perks. Yes you can earn perks but at a much lower rate than a subscription.

Subscription: Exactly what we have now but maybe with an option to buy perks.

"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 09:16:01 AM »

Well, not entirely true. Mid and Late war games are available minus perks. Spits, 51s, 47s, 38s and many more. The list of perked planes is very small.

Earning perks for planes still works because many fly perked planes.

Paying for perks destroys the entire ranking system, which makes players try harder to be better, goals to meet. I’ll go to Vegas and bet HT would never change that.

Paying for perks would change the dynamics to arcade, a negative from its current status.

Side note;
It amazes me when people complain about $15, its .50 cents per day. An arcade game will give you 5 min. In fact I’m not sure you can play an arcade game for .50 cents these days.

Most that complain about sub throw money out the window for much less several time per day. I can sneeze $15.

Its human nature to want something for nothing. 25 yrs of coding and running the game for free is absurdity from unreasonable people. Not worth a listen.

They should code their own game, pay for all the gear, and give it away for free ir “donations” <eye roll>.

Some of the same people are buying every plane or staged AI missions that well exceed 1yr of AH just for a few items. I don’t listen to these types at all. Disingenuous.

I’d pay $30 for AH. One scenario like MotA is worth $15 all by itself. If there were updates I’d pay $40.

If someone can’t afford $15 they have much bigger financial problems than they ever thought, while sitting in a $2k computer.

The complaint about a $15 sub is nonsense.

<shrug>

Please

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
Two tiered system.

Basic: Early war planes (or some basic planes/GVs) are free. Other than that..pay for perks. All planes/GVs outside early war cost perks. Yes you can earn perks but at a much lower rate than a subscription.

See my prior post  as to why this suggestion is useless to solving the problem.
”KILLER V”

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 10:49:08 AM »
Id like to see a free month offer with the right promotion on the nerd thunder platform. More players seem to be getting real sticks and vr. 2 weeks for the average working player is not enough time especially with most of the players being vets now. Just need to increase numbers outside of peak time. Mornings are not worth it for me and late night either anymore. This is coming from someone who hasnt played but 3 times in 2 months and still pays. I know its a pointless post and will fall upon deaf ears.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 11:48:29 AM »

Correction.  14 free days.    The premise remains.
”KILLER V”

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 12:48:38 PM »
If you can't afford 15 bucks, you might want to hang on to your funds for food.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 12:57:48 PM »
Instead of free planes for beginners maybe experienced players should be limited to ew and mw planes in ma to give beginners a fighting chance and maybe they'd stick around longer..

This should be voluntary with enormous guilt and shame awarded when any decent stick is caught buzzing around in a late war plane..

HT has already stated he's against any kind of free to play setup beyond the 2 week trial

Eagler
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 01:00:43 PM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 12:58:35 PM »

With AH's setup of a single, non-tierd free for all arena, this would be purely pay-to-win. Pay a bit to have some chance of survival, pay more to slap everyone around.

Introducing any kind of micropayment would require a totally new game to make it work.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 01:08:30 PM »
If you can't afford 15 bucks, you might want to hang on to your funds for food.
You might want to think about this. I have 3 kids that would like to play. If I pay for an account for me and them it's $60 a month. While it's not a huge amount of money it's not an amount I can justify for playing all together once on twice a week.

I would however be willing to pay a family plan or play with them on a limited free account.

That's 4 players AH3 doesn't have because of $15 a month that I'm saving for food...