Author Topic: Why not go Free to play?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
Re: Why not go Free to play?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2024, 06:09:42 PM »
How about a system that allows say X amount of play time per month for free?

In other words if you exceed lets say 12 hours of play time in a week then you need to wait 3 weeks until the next month for you "free" play time to reset.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2024, 06:22:28 PM »
How about a system that allows say X amount of play time per month for free?

In other words if you exceed lets say 12 hours of play time in a week then you need to wait 3 weeks until the next month for you "free" play time to reset.

I'd think anything your could do to maintain contact with that potential customer, rather than have them uninstall, is better than nothing.

For instance, just to give Animl an aneurism,  DCS (standalone not Steam) has a two-week trial per module\terrain.  And it can be repeated every 6 months.

So you could trial a pony.  Then trial a spit.  Then trial an F-16, etc.  Keep going through all the modules and in six months come around time to trial the pony again.  ;)

That is kinda like what you describe.  That essentially is another flavor of F2P but a rotating model.  They are betting that eventually with enough experience you might fall in love with one of the modules and decide it is worth it to buy have have whenever you want. 

In any case, it provides a reason to keep the game installed and allows them multiple bites at the apple to convert you. 

Never give a potential customer and excuse to uninstall if you can avoid it.  Every day they don't uninstall is another chance to convert them.

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2024, 06:59:53 PM »
I'd think anything your could do to maintain contact with that potential customer, rather than have them uninstall, is better than nothing.

For instance, just to give Animl an aneurism

Glad I won't be seeing that lolz :)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2024, 07:02:26 PM »

Sometimes it has comedic value. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2024, 07:51:50 PM »
A free to play model would help the game grow. Its been proven to work and  you don't really have subscription based games anymore, particularly with this genre.  However, it doesn't seem HTC cares much about growing the game at this point and I say that in no way an insult or his neglect. He seems to be making the profits he wants with the work required and his core base don't seem to pay a monthly subscription as we can see by the replies here.

AH has become a small community relatively speaking and both the owner and most the users seem happy with the situation.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2024, 08:53:11 AM »
I don't play the others because I never liked a scam. They are not free to play. You have to buy every plane. Folks can even buy themselves better. All just a scam.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2024, 02:57:16 PM »
A free to play model would help the game grow. Its been proven to work and  you don't really have subscription based games anymore, particularly with this genre.  However, it doesn't seem HTC cares much about growing the game at this point and I say that in no way an insult or his neglect. He seems to be making the profits he wants with the work required and his core base don't seem to pay a monthly subscription as we can see by the replies here.

AH has become a small community relatively speaking and both the owner and most the users seem happy with the situation.

The entire world of media has moved to a subscription base. Most apps are sub based.

This is not AH’s biggest problem.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2024, 03:18:31 PM »

The feeling is quite mutual. Has been since your first stupid thread.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2024, 03:30:23 PM »
The entire world of media has moved to a subscription base. Most apps are sub based.

This is not AH’s biggest problem.

When you say "media"  that is mostly stuff like Netflix and Disney+, etc.

But those services are based on a never ending river of constantly updated new content coming monthly.  Constant new content.
If Netflix stopped adding any new shows or movies for 5 years, would people keep their subscription for long?

Subscription models in software are generally hated.

I was a life long Photoshop guy.  They went sub, I dumped them and now use something not quite as good, but not subscription.  Most users hated the change to sub.

I used to have older versions of MS Office installed.  They went sub, I dumped it for Libre Office.

Subscription software is a very hard sell.  Most people hate paying for the same software again every month.

It's not impossible, but it is a very big resistance.

That and the graphics are the two biggest beefs I get when I've tried to get others to try out AH.  Didn't you have similar reaction with those you talked to?

Subscription and no F2P was probably the biggest common gripe I saw in the Steam reviews.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:35:19 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2024, 03:41:24 PM »
Sometimes it has comedic value. ;)

Don’t ever think your supreme immaturity and Dunning-Kruger mentality has me captured in your small little world of punkville. Your words make rocks appear brilliant and way mire mature.

Your Pretty Manikins sales thread finally cough blood?  Your clan of narcissist going back to vomiting here?

The funniest part of you is I’m the only one who sees you for who you are, a scamming skimmer over the top obsession with selling horse crap. I’m not alone.

I just think you’re low class and I’m more than glad I’m not you, or your chimps on leashes attached to the music box.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2024, 03:43:08 PM »
Don’t ever think your supreme immaturity and Dunning-Kruger mentality has me captured in your small little world of punkville. Your words make rocks appear brilliant and way mire mature.

Your Pretty Manikins sales thread finally cough blood?  Your clan of narcissist going back to vomiting here?

The funniest part of you is I’m the only one who sees you for who you are, a scamming skimmer over the top obsession with selling horse crap. I’m not alone.

I just think you’re low class and I’m more than glad I’m not you, or your chimps on leashes attached to the music box.

Sig line.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2024, 03:49:47 PM »

For instance, just to give Animl an aneurism,  DCS (standalone not Steam) has a two-week trial per module\terrain.  And it can be repeated every 6 months.

So you could trial a pony.  Then trial a spit.  Then trial an F-16, etc.  Keep going through all the modules and in six months come around time to trial the pony again.  ;)

That is kinda like what you describe.  That essentially is another flavor of F2P but a rotating model.  They are betting that eventually with enough experience you might fall in love with one of the modules and decide it is worth it to buy have have whenever you want. 

In any case, it provides a reason to keep the game installed and allows them multiple bites at the apple to convert you. 

Never give a potential customer and excuse to uninstall if you can avoid it.  Every day they don't uninstall is another chance to convert them.

$0.02.

Not only is that stupid, it comes from a coward who hides behind a pc. You’re just a coward on every level.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2024, 03:52:32 PM »
Sig line.

You read it. You got my point, my lil squeak toy.

Now don’t go crying when you got what you provoked.  :)

Lol, holy crap! I wasted time of my life on a dweeb like you.
I need a shower, or dipped in acid, for a cleaning.

Ta ta :)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 04:05:36 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2024, 03:52:43 PM »
Not only is that stupid, it comes from a coward who hides behind a pc. You’re just a coward on every level.

Sig line.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2024, 03:53:46 PM »
You read it coward. You got my point, my lil squeak toy

Sig line.