Author Topic: How do I set up Ah for vr?  (Read 400 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
How do I set up Ah for vr?
« on: April 07, 2024, 07:26:33 AM »
I have not played the game in a decade but am considering firing it up again.  For VR I'm running a Vive Pro 2 with Index controllers.  A decent machine with Virpil Hotas.  Do I install AH in Steam then fire up Steam VR and go from there? 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: How do I set up Ah for vr?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 07:43:24 AM »
I have used the original vive pro since 2018

I had steam already installed b4 I got vr

Install the vive pro software first

Then run dx11.exe for AH as that lauches the vr version

A window should pop up the asks if you want to use vr..click that

Steam vr should start as AH opens in vr

I put the focus back on AH by clicking it

Putting on the vr headset should have vr going

Set your views and controls while in vr

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 11:34:25 AM »
I'm not sure if you can run the game direct if you installed it from steam but in my experience the performance has been better if you can keep that steaming pile of crap called SteamVR out of the picture. There's also a thing called open OpenXR if I recall correctly that you can use in place of SteamVR.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:00:57 PM »
I run my desktop copy of ah in vr, I don't use the steam version

I have not tried openXR as I thought ah had an issue with it

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 12:05:58 PM »
I run my desktop copy of ah in vr, I don't use the steam version

I have not tried openXR as I thought ah had an issue with it

Eagler

There is no need for OpenXR if you can run the game direct from your desktop. The only reason I would use OpenXR is if there was a game that required SteamVR to run.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 12:10:47 PM »
There is no need for OpenXR if you can run the game direct from your desktop. The only reason I would use OpenXR is if there was a game that required SteamVR to run.

When ah opens into vr steamvr also opens and when I close ah, I am in the steam world of vr games so I don't see an openXR option at all..

Eagler

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 12:30:58 PM »
So, if I'm reading this right.. 

Install the game and run "whatever the AH.exe is called" for 2 d or dx11.exe to run the 3d version and that will fire up my VR setup?  I don't need to use Steam to install or run the game for VR?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 01:04:34 PM »
The game supports VR natively so you shouldn't have to install anything else. You will need to click "use VR" on your monitor thought as it will not prompt you in VR if you are running the game without SteamVR.

The question is about the Steam version. If you installed from steam it may launch the SteamVR app when you launch the game. This may be totally acceptable. I prefer to run AH3 directly without steam VR.

I was only mentioning it as I had performance issues with IL2 when running SteamVR.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 02:33:54 PM »
AH is not compatible with Opencomposite/OpenXR. It don't work. It's SteamVR only for VR. Or if on a WMR headset it's WMR for SteamVR.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 03:08:49 PM »
AH is not compatible with Opencomposite/OpenXR. It don't work. It's SteamVR only for VR. Or if on a WMR headset it's WMR for SteamVR.

As I said previously, if you can run AH3 directly, that is you best option. I do not know if this is possible with the Steam AH3 installation

I have used OpenXR to replace SteamVR. If you are running AH3 on steam and it requires SteamVR you can replace SteamVR with OpenXR. I have done this so I know that it works. If you do not experience any issues running under SteamVR then there would be no reason to mess with OpenXR.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 03:13:24 PM by hazmatt »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 09:32:25 PM »
You can replace SteamVR with OpenXR by using Opencomposite and yes it does work. I use it for IL2 and it works perfectly. It worked for DCS before DCS came out with native OpenXR. It's not needed now. Same for MSFS which is native OpenXR. Opencomposite doesn't work for every game, there's a long list of those that don't work, and unfortunately AH is one of them. I spent an afternoon online with the dev of Opencomposite trying to get it to work with AH. If he couldn't get it to work I don't see how you did. AH is SteamVR only. I've asked HT about making it compatible with OpenXR but he wasn't interested. Can't imagine that'd be a major deal as OpenXR is the basis for all things VR. But that is what that is.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 12:23:32 PM »
When I log in I get the press space bar to center then get the dot that tracks where I'm pointing.  What do I use to actually click on something?  Space bar or randoms keys don't seem to do anything nor the Index vr controller.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 01:10:00 PM »
When I log in I get the press space bar to center then get the dot that tracks where I'm pointing.  What do I use to actually click on something?  Space bar or randoms keys don't seem to do anything nor the Index vr controller.

I mapped a left click and a right click mouse buttons onto my joystick so I have both available. The dot that tracks where your pointing is the "curser" so you need a left click to activate what your pointing at.

Online SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 02:23:15 PM »

On the G2 the dot is the cursor then I use my mouse as you normally would.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 03:14:17 PM »
The mouse dot should only be visible when you have the clipboard up..

All settings need to be redone in vr as vr reads a different file than monitor play does..

Eagler