Author Topic: High Noon 24hrs a Day?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: High Noon 24hrs a Day?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2024, 04:08:48 PM »
I’m sorry a VR headset isn’t compatible with a changing sky. Thats kinda funny to me. Is the immersion so ridiculously fantastic that you want to strip away whatever it takes to keep it.

The immersion is definitely worth it to those that dogfight in fighters and not fly straight lines in bombers.  The dusk/dawn also sucks for those that don't fly straight lines in bombers.
Tours 86 - 296

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2024, 08:49:40 PM »
The immersion is definitely worth it to those that dogfight in fighters and not fly straight lines in bombers.  The dusk/dawn also sucks for those that don't fly straight lines in bombers.

So what you’re saying is that the game itself has broad appeal?

I fly all the planes and drive all the cars.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2024, 03:28:57 PM »
I think this is a bit of evidence as to how AH went down hill. I understand why all that time and work was invested in to the night sky, "Combat Tour" or what ever they were going to call the "roll playing version of the game", COULD have used the navigation abilities of the stars and such, but how many players would really have bothered? All that time and work wasted.

There were a bunch of decisions that HTC made that seemed really out in left field. Some of them I think they made because they thought it would be fun to build it, what ever it was in stead of looking at was it going to be fun in the game and help the game move along. During the "hey-day" they should have been looking at what works in the game and what didnt. They always wanted the game to be fun and playable and not add a bunch of switches that dont add/do anything of purpose, yet they spent all this time to add stars and constellations that are just that.

GVs, back then we had a number of maps players look forward to that had great GV battles. Instead of creating more maps with those types of areas they removed the maps, or rebuilt (crater) the maps doing away with them. Then they added GV dar and took away more fights.

Planes, if they would have kept adding planes to the tune of 3-4 a year how much excitement do you think that would have generated? Even if the plane or variant became a hanger queen it would have added that excitement for a month or so until the rumors of the "next" plane or vehicle to be released came along.

Maps, a couple of options here. If they didnt spend a year or two building the perfect night sky how many maps could they have added? A second option, once a map is compiled you cant change it but what if they compiled the same map 2-3 times and for each one they could rotate 30% of the fields. No more knowing which way the fields are pointing until you get some recon and they spread the word. Next map is "Baltic", add a randomizer so it picks balticA, baltic,B, or balticC. All baltic maps look identical, but the fields are in different orientations. An extra twist that doesnt cost much.

Ships, the addition of the big battle ships was great, but werent their Japanese, German, and British ships? I know adding more and more fleets to a map is a big data draw, but what if some of the US ships were just reskinned in the colors of other nations? The German PT boat looked pretty cool. I think a lot of time could have been spent on the puffy guns on the ships. For what ever reason you can fly a set of buffs through their puffy a number of times and take a few hits, but heaven forbid you even brush the edge of that umbrella in a 262! Its the tower with the first shot!

Then just some in game tweaks. The icon vis range GVs vs planes. I think they should have spent some more time on this. If a vehicle is on the more 1 to 1planes see the same icon ranges as GVs. I the GV is stopped under some trees, same setup we have now were the plane is handycapped, but once the GV fires it goes back to 1 to 1 again for 15-20 seconds.

The wind should have been adjusted and maybe have the alts the wind is at change with the randomizer of maps. Bomber dropping at 10k should have a great hit percentage, but as their alt goes up the hit percentage should go down and the wind could help with that, just add a randomizer to that as well. 30K buffs shouldnt hit as well as a 10k set. This would bring some of those buffs down to a fight more often.

I think had they spent more time "in game" and working on just that they wouldnt have lost so many players so fast. If you already have the best, most in-depth WWII game around there isnt any need to make vast changes. Just tweak and adjust to meet the needs of the game as it moves through time.

Just saw this, but I 100% agree with this. Good observations.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.