Author Topic: Questions for the game  (Read 985 times)

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
Questions for the game
« on: June 16, 2024, 10:24:59 PM »
 <S>all...
Having a 200 channel conversation with an enemy pilot during today's flights made me think about what others pilots do in the following situations, "considering what could be the best for the game future" ( my answers in CAPITAL LETTER ) :

1. You are  flying with members of your squad and see any of them in a fight where he is "possible" having difficulty to get a better position to win the fight, or the enemy is behind him :
    a) Do you immediately jump into the fight and try to kill that enemy plane ? (YES)
    b) Wait if the enemy kill your squaddy and later intervene ? (NO)
    c) Ask your squaddy if you can join into the fight ? (SOMETIMES)
    d) Leave him and choose another target ?(NO)

2. In a furball:
    a) Do you attack planes already smoking or with damage? (YES)
    b) Do you change target if some enemy planes no checking on you? (YES)
    c) Only participate if you have the advantage in altitude and speed ?(NO)
    d) Do you participate in several againts one ( 2 on 1, or 3 on 1 ) ( YES, - ESPECIALLY
        WHEN TRYING TO TAKE A BASE, BUT SOMETIMES I FLY AWAY )

Maybe I'm wrong guys, but I believe there are no correct answers to these questions just personal actions, since I also believe we all like this game so much and don't want any pilot ( especially the new ones ) to feel like this is a group of nasty people and the environment to spend money and time...
 :salute
ZE

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
Re: Questions for the game
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 02:30:45 AM »
<S>all...
Having a 200 channel conversation with an enemy pilot during today's flights made me think about what others pilots do in the following situations, "considering what could be the best for the game future" ( my answers in CAPITAL LETTER ) :

1. You are  flying with members of your squad and see any of them in a fight where he is "possible" having difficulty to get a better position to win the fight, or the enemy is behind him :
    a) Do you immediately jump into the fight and try to kill that enemy plane ? (YES) Same answer for me. I jump in to help unless squaddie calls me off. I don't care what the opponent thinks or says over 200. Kill all red icons near is most basic premise of the game.    b) Wait if the enemy kill your squaddy and later intervene ? (NO) Same for me
    c) Ask your squaddy if you can join into the fight ? (SOMETIMES) Same. It's hard to ask questions in an already kinetic engagement. Type "help?" and move in until called off by squaddie-NOT enemy pilot. His request is nothing. He's a red icon.
    d) Leave him and choose another target ?(NO) Same. I'm there to help team and squad mates. Help a teammate or squad mate first.

2. In a furball:
    a) Do you attack planes already smoking or with damage? (YES) Same. They are red icons, must be cleared. Watch Skyyr on Youtube sometime. Note how many kills he gets while smoking or hemorrhaging oil or blood-an astonishing number! It's best they are brought down when given the chance.
    b) Do you change target if some enemy planes no checking on you? (YES) Same. I'll go after next target endangering a teammate or squad mate. If they aren't looking to engage (yet) they are extending to come back or are a picker/booger eater and will wait for you to be engaged. Leave them be for now and protect endangered countrymen.
    c) Only participate if you have the advantage in altitude and speed ?(NO) Definite NO as well in my opinion. I stress, MY OPINION! I feel there is no point in this strategy while playing a video game as the consequences aren't real. I understand there are the "Hartmann" strategists looking to avoid dogfights and furballs and the like and look to sim and have good ratios etc. and I understand fully. I just don't agree. Picking/booger eating is also strategy/mindset and I begrudgingly respect it but I still reserve "booger eater" for them. I feel their backyard BBQ's must be boring and I'll wager they eat Melba toast and egg whites for breakfast. Give me a 1 vs 3 or 4 every time. The consequences aren't real and imagine the exhilaration if you make it out of there! That's steak and eggs for breakfast right there. I can probably count on 1 finger where I turned the tables on that dilemma but it's fun trying.
    d) Do you participate in several againts one ( 2 on 1, or 3 on 1 ) ( YES, - ESPECIALLY
        WHEN TRYING TO TAKE A BASE, BUT SOMETIMES I FLY AWAY ) Same. kill all red icons. Perhaps grab back some E and assess overall situation and look out for next red wave if things look in hand. Make sure situation is in hand.

Maybe I'm wrong guys, but I believe there are no correct answers to these questions just personal actions, since I also believe we all like this game so much and don't want any pilot ( especially the new ones ) to feel like this is a group of nasty people and the environment to spend money and time... Again, same. Just expressing my opinions on your subject matter and agreeing. All of this stuff is subjective and everyone finds nuance and differentiation. Kinda like public discourse used to be when we talked face to face and such.
ZE

I saw the exchange that perhaps inspired this on 200 earlier in the evening. There was some whining expressed on 200 about someone jumping in to help but I'd say they were just venting some frustration and I fully understand. I just don't agree with them. Take some deep breaths, pick a plane and re-up for some fun and a chance at payback is the path they should have followed.

Salute, ZE
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 08:24:57 AM »
1. I'll ask if they want me to join. Some folks enjoy their 1v1s. I don't like to be 'that guy' who has to pick everyone in 1v1s. Depending on the situation, I may jump in though. Normally, I like to stay above them and make sure no one is coming in to pick my friendly. Too many times I see like 5 friendlies on 1 guy and this gives the enemy coming into the field the advantage.

Yes. I'll attack planes smoking damaged planes if they are still engaging or I want to finish them for the kill.

I'll certainly change targets given any situation in the furball. Sticking on one plane can be deadly and also can prevent you from getting additional kills you could have got if you changed targets.

Certainly do not attack only with advantage. Sometimes being low right on the deck is an advantage because enemies don't see you until you pop up too late. Especially with my style, the defense counter punch is how I get a lot of kills, so certainly making the enemy think they have the advantage is a tactic I like to use.

A lot of times I'm dealing with 2 to 3+ on 1 because I don't fly the fastest planes and therefore once you get caught up with a faster plane that catches you, and then all their friends join for no reason other than desperation for a kill. This makes it tough. It can be fun but also tiring when it's good sticks doing this.

If this was super duper serial, and I had to play 100% smart like I do in FSO for example, and if was full on ranking for money and sponsorships ext, I'd fly high and patient most of the time in BnZ style much like when I fly a Tempest and would not turn around to fight as much as I normally do. That style is a lot more boring though. Many times I like to drag players away from their horde and then try to reverse or get in a 1v1. It's all about judging your plane vs theirs and how good you think the guy chasing you is.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 08:41:57 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 10:30:08 AM »

a) Do you immediately jump into the fight and try to kill that enemy plane ?

NO

b) Wait if the enemy kill your squaddy and later intervene ?

Usually, unless….

c) Ask your squaddy if you can join into the fight ?

I always ask anyone already engaged…

d) Leave him and choose another target ?

Usually, unless…

2. In a furball:
    a) Do you attack planes already smoking or with damage?

If they are actively engaging me

b) Do you change target if some enemy planes no checking on you?

Not sure what you mean here, but I try to attack the biggest threat first or get the easiest kill out of the way.

c) Only participate if you have the advantage in altitude and speed ?

I am at a disadvantage most of the time.

d) Do you participate in several againts one ( 2 on 1, or 3 on 1 )

I am usually outnumbered. If there’s more green than red, I usually leave the fight unless it’s the only fight on the map and I can’t change. Then I usually log.

To add to this, a vast majority of the player base left only fights when they have an advantage (numbers, speed, alt, or all the above) and then they run every chance they get. Pretty boring
Tours 86 - 296

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 10:37:21 AM »
The Pigs On The Wing are horribly aggressive.  If I do not shoot that enemy plane, one of the other swine will.  Shoot first and tease your squaddie later. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 10:53:57 AM »
To add to this, a vast majority of the player base left only fights when they have an advantage (numbers, speed, alt, or all the above) and then they run every chance they get. Pretty boring

I think it's because many have no clue how to utilize ACM and thus extending is the only thing that makes sense to them in that situation. I always find it weird though when I see these P51Ds at 20k, dive down on me with no one in sight, pull up at any sense of my turning, and then fly off back to 20k and dissappear out of range.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 11:33:54 AM »
I think it's because many have no clue how to utilize ACM and thus extending is the only thing that makes sense to them in that situation. I always find it weird though when I see these P51Ds at 20k, dive down on me with no one in sight, pull up at any sense of my turning, and then fly off back to 20k and dissappear out of range.

This is why I've been flying fast planes lately, which is totally against my usual style. 
Tours 86 - 296

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 11:54:09 AM »
<S>all...

a) Do you immediately jump into the fight and try to kill that enemy plane ? (YES) NO, I might make a turn in but I try to ask before jumping in
    b) Wait if the enemy kill your squaddy and later intervene ? (NO) If my squadie said not to jump in Ill circle until hes down or calls me in.
    c) Ask your squaddy if you can join into the fight ? (SOMETIMES) see above
    d) Leave him and choose another target ?(NO) see above

2. In a furball:
    a) Do you attack planes already smoking or with damage? (YES) Ill shoot at anyone
    b) Do you change target if some enemy planes no checking on you? (YES) Ill take the next target of opportunity
    c) Only participate if you have the advantage in altitude and speed ?(NO) NO
        WHEN TRYING TO TAKE A BASE, BUT SOMETIMES I FLY AWAY ) I try not to gang, but when going for the base sure. More often than not I'll be the first one in and due to my aim I end up having all sorts of helpers with me.

Maybe I'm wrong guys, but I believe there are no correct answers to these questions just personal actions, since I also believe we all like this game so much and don't want any pilot ( especially the new ones ) to feel like this is a group of nasty people and the environment to spend money and time...
ZE

Agreed, I like to play the game with a bit of class and honor. I know, people say "LOL!!! Class and honor in a VIDEO GAME?????  LOL!!!" but sure why not? I play to fight against other players, to pit myself against them and there cartoon plane. But thats how I try to play. Thats why I try not to HO even when getting HOed pass after pass. Thats why I try not to gang a really wish that I wouldnt get ganged. Thats why you'll never catch me hiding in the 3 story building some players like to vanish into. But thats me. 

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 12:17:07 PM »
I think I go along with common sense and respect on these.

OTOH, Lets face some simple basic facts of life here,... if I kill anyone it's a accident.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 02:20:43 PM »
I generally play the game with one thought in mind and I preach this whenever I can…

“If everyone was doing this, would this game be any fun?”

If the answer is “No.” then, as a general rule, I do my best to avoid that behavior. Am I infallible? Clearly not. The game is dynamic and sometimes you make calls based on situations presented to you.

Will I jump in on that fight? Most likely not. But I might if I look at the map and see a massive dar bar headed my way which will make me want to clear the area for a reset.

Am I going to vulch you. Again, almost never. But I might if a base snatch is imminent and I’m the only one who’s gonna stop you. Still, there’s a 99.9% chance I’m going to at least let you get your gear retracted.

Am I going to make a half hearted pass and keep going? Extremely rare. But I might if there are extenuating circumstances. (Horde behind me/damage/fuel/ammo issues)

Will I HO you? That would be a waste of a potentially good fight. But if I’m already engaged and you come in head on, there’s a good chance I’ll let some rounds fly. Or if you just keep climbing, resetting, and HOing. I may get bored and return the favor after the second or third pass.

Clearly we all get joy from coming out victorious. Me as well. But I get infinitely more satisfaction from a good fight whether I win or not. I don’t mind people fighting to the strengths of their plane but I’m not a fan of people who simply give up the second things aren’t 100% in their favor when it’s 1v1. In the MA you have unlimited lives for $15. There’s no reason to play strictly for the kill or to survive. Save that for the events (FSO/scenarios).
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 02:41:36 PM »
Good to know others believe as well that this game deserves pilots with different opinions, but, playing to maintain the quality of good dogfights and camaraderie...
ZE

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 02:48:35 PM »
This is why I've been flying fast planes lately, which is totally against my usual style.

Yup, and unfortunately it's like a chain reaction. "If everyone is flying the fastest planes, than so should I because I can't compete" mentality. It's lost on some...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2024, 03:49:57 PM »
Ah, a survey!  I can never resist those.  Rarely, at least.

a) Do you immediately jump into the fight and try to kill that enemy plane ? No.
    b) Wait if the enemy kill your squaddy and later intervene ? Depends on the answer to (c)
    c) Ask your squaddy if you can join into the fight ? I always ask if he (or she) is doing OK, or wants assistance, and I'll follow the response
    d) Leave him and choose another target ? See the answer to (c)

2. In a furball:
    a) Do you attack planes already smoking or with damage? If they are still in the fight, then yes.  If they're trying to make it back to base, I wish them luck and leave them alone.
    b) Do you change target if some enemy planes no checking on you?  I'm not sure what this means
    c) Only participate if you have the advantage in altitude and speed ?  Hah!  While I'm pleased to start out above an opponent, it doesn't seem to happen very often
    d) Do you participate in several againts one ( 2 on 1, or 3 on 1 ) You mean, like ganging?  I'm sure it happens sometimes when there are a bunch of people flying around in the same air space, but no, not as a tactic.  There isn't much of a challenge in ganging, and the last thing I'm interested in is taking bases.

In the simulation v. game world, I'm definitely a gamer, so I'm in it for the fun of the fight, not for the glory of teamwork or the satisfaction of conquest.  As you suggest, there isn't a correct answer here (with two exceptions:  I cannot tolerate ganging or vulching).

- oldman

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2024, 04:01:55 PM »
Yup, and unfortunately it's like a chain reaction. "If everyone is flying the fastest planes, than so should I because I can't compete" mentality. It's lost on some...

It's not about competing...it's about chasing down the losers  :rofl
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2024, 04:43:39 PM »
The last time I logged on.... maybe a week or so back, I upped my P38J at a field that a corsair was attacking. As soon as I was wheels up, he started running. I logged and have had no thoughts of logging on since. I used to fly quite a lot. Most of the players are gone.... those few left are not on in the evenings.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)