Author Topic: While I’m wishing…  (Read 286 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
While I’m wishing…
« on: July 02, 2024, 10:01:56 AM »
…for things that are going to be ignored.

Field supplies need to go away unless the numbers come back.

Last night I climbed out in a heavy jug headed to a port. Took out the radar (44min). Second pass I killed a few guns (99min if memory serves). Third pass and all the auto guns are down along with a wirb. Loop back around and the radar is back up along with the first two guns I just killed. Less than 5 minutes total time elapsed from when my first egg took out the radar.

Evidently the CV was able to spawn LVTs “feet dry” and immediately drop off supplies. Basically making it impossible to take the base.

I understand why resupply was implemented. I believe it had good value when we had numbers (100 per team). But I also believe those days are past us (10-15 per team lately). This is a combat game. I pay for combat against fellow players. Base re-supply is taking players that would otherwise have to engage to defend their positions and turning them into supply bots. It also takes away the need to actually defend taken territory. Couple M3 runs (players not in combat/defending) and the base is now safe from a quick re-take.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: While I’m wishing…
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 10:22:18 AM »
Feet-dry spawns can be eliminated by re-orienting a town or port.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 10:23:43 AM »
I approve this message.  :salute
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 11:28:17 PM »
Don't eliminate field supplies. Resupply is a part of strategic thinking.  Just fix the spawn points to eliminate the instant resupply.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:00:25 AM »
Another possibility would be to adjust the ENY of supply carriers to slow down the resupply (and capture) efforts of a Horde.

M-3   49mph.
SdKfz 251   32mph.
LVT(A)2    24mph.

(Although some players are so infuriated by ENY this may be have a net negative effect on MA gameplay.)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:13:29 AM »
Don't eliminate field supplies. Resupply is a part of strategic thinking.  Just fix the spawn points to eliminate the instant resupply.

Resupplying towns while players are actively trying to take the base is an easy way to defend a base while avoiding combat at the same time. It just seems extra cheesy.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:34:12 AM »
Resupplying towns while players are actively trying to take the base is an easy way to defend a base while avoiding combat at the same time. It just seems extra cheesy.

But very realistic. Remember, every gv coming to a towns defense, is not always a re-supplier. If you remove the ability to re-supply, you reduce the number of targets,  you move the aggressors focus to the base, and set up the vulch fest. If no one ups, you just roll the base. If no one ups, no fights, no fights, no fun.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:52:02 AM »
I disagree. Strategy implies forethought or a plan. Field supplies, as it applies to the game, is reactionary. I suppose, if your strategy is to wait until something is being attacked and not actually defend it with any weapons, that could be a strategy. It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t the first thing people do in order to stem the tide of an attack.

The primary purpose of having a capture the flag setup is to encourage players to interact in conflict. While logistics it probably one of the most critical things in actual war, it’s not conducive to players actively participating in combat.

In my example, there was clearly a CV in extremely close range. Instead of even attempting to launch any type of aircraft to defend, a few players (maybe 20-30 percent of the total logged on at the time) took away all the effort I made in less time than it took me to make three passes. Basically, I took off, climbed out, bombed the radar tower, took out 80% of the field guns and my reward was everything I did was erased almost instantly. What’s my incentive to play if nothing counts and I don’t even get a dogfight out of it? Any one of those players could’ve launched an aircraft and stopped me after my first or second pass or maybe even intercepted me before I got in range to let my ordinance go. Instead they took the lazy/safe way out simply because it was available. It’s not even specifically related to a port either. We’ve all been there when someone sees an attack coming to a town and the M3 is already waiting to drop field supplies before the first bomb comes out.

Field supplies had their day but with the reduced numbers, we shouldn’t have 3 of the 10 players on a team selecting something in the hangar that doesn’t contribute to combat.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:54:56 AM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:05:19 AM »
But very realistic. Remember, every gv coming to a towns defense, is not always a re-supplier. If you remove the ability to re-supply, you reduce the number of targets,  you move the aggressors focus to the base, and set up the vulch fest. If no one ups, you just roll the base. If no one ups, no fights, no fights, no fun.

I wouldnt call it realistic. If a field was under attack the first thought by command was never "lets get supplies rolling!", but Im sure if it was an early warning, "lets get a cap up", or if it was a late warning "lets intercept them as they head home".

Resupplying the field is the issue, not the vehicles, tho replacing a pinle gun or engine in the field is a bit of a stretch. I think HTC should set it up so that if an enemy is flying in the dar circle resupply runs on the field are down to only 20% of a normal drop. If no enemy in the dar circle supplies are counted at 100%. This would promote defending vs resupply, but once the base is secure then supplies can do their job.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:13:52 AM »
No one upped. No one fought. No fun. And still the base wasn’t able to be captured.

There’s also a difference between a “target” and “defense”. The number of defenders will increase and the number of targets will decrease. I can blow up field guns and radar all day long offline. I don’t need to pay $15 for that.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:40:24 AM by LilMak »
~Hub Zemke

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:17:28 AM »
At the very least, we need to take away field supplies for LVTs until this feet dry thing is corrected.
~Hub Zemke

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:10:41 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of a base during ww2 that was actually vultched?

Where fighters had impunity to destroy any upping defensive aircraft?

I don't think it happened often it at all...

Runways need hardened if not indestructible ack..maybe manned if auto even more accurate than ack now imo

Vultching should be much harder

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 10:13:30 AM »
At the very least, we need to take away field supplies for LVTs until this feet dry thing is corrected.

Probably the easiest solution.

Maybe let TBMs drop supplies?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:24:20 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 10:24:59 AM »
Probably the easiest solution.
Yeah. Color me skeptical but I don’t think even that simple arena setting will be corrected.
~Hub Zemke

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 10:26:34 AM »
Maybe let TBMs drop supplies?
Perhaps a good compromise?
~Hub Zemke