Author Topic: PopJanko's 60 year old attempt to use VR - experiences  (Read 1204 times)

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
PopJanko's 60 year old attempt to use VR - experiences
« on: July 11, 2024, 07:38:09 PM »
All,

So, here I am a 60 year old near sighted fan of the game.  I save enough money and finally got a Quest 3 set.   :banana: :banana:

Once I figured out the following:

1) Install the Meta Quest Link app on your computer
2) Learn to use Meta Quest Link from your Quest 3 headset

That was step 1.

Step 2 as it relates to Aces High.

If your headset is connected and active, AFTER you set up Meta Quest Link app, you should receive a message that asks you to use the quest link.   Click yes.

Once you've done that, subsequent starts of Aces High can be started from within your headset, but you may need to switch back to your pc and again click "yes" to use quest link.

I quickly learned, shut down all other applications, especially any using your graphics card.

My first attempt to connect resulted in a psychedelic constant view of black and while contrast of angles.  My first warning that I had too much crap running on my pc.  At the time not realizing I left the d@mn thing turned on.

Next day, I restarted my PC, just in idle mode, the headset drained to about 5% battery.  Now, that was my first few hours of ownership of the Quest 3, 512.  So, I plugged it in using the USB C cable, realizing that a measly 4 foot cable was not going to work.

So, I actually shutdown the headset, and recharged it to 100% and quickly ordered a USB C to USB C cable 6foot in length with an angled connector that I could use at the side of the headset for extended play.

The cable hasn't arrived yet.

So, I chaged it using the cable I had.

Next day, I restarted my computer and quit anything that would interfere (Steam, VirtualBox, etc.)

Next, I launched Oculus from my PC, then powered on my headset, connected to my PC using link while in the headset.

Launced Aces High from my PC, I was asked to use the Quest Link, I clicked yes.

WOW!

Overwhelmed.

I spent about 3 hours just using the hand controls and getting used to things.

Because of the restrictive  USB C cable, I could look left and right, but not up and to the rear, but the effect was short of mind blowing.

I sway the lifters in the engine of the D.7 work!

I spent about 20 minutes just flying around and trying to figure out controls.  I can't fly with the quest hand controls, it's just not something that works in my mind.  So, I crashed a few times until I adjusted map keys.

20 minutes was good, I did actually experience some slight vertigo, which I don't normally experience, but that's when I called it quits.

End of Day 1 - success, wild, blown away.

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
Day 2 - Re: PopJanko's 60 year old attempt to use VR - experiences
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 07:48:27 PM »
Day 2 of my experience

Headset is all charged up!  Worked a 10 hour shift got home and learning from yesterday, let's get going in the training arena!   :banana: :airplane:

Easier said that done. 

I fired up a D.11 again and lost my yaw.  Quick crash on tack off.

Readjusted my map keys.  I was off!  But, peculiar!  I don't have auto tack off enabled.  But, it's enabled when in VR mode.  Bug?

I crashed, went into settings and made sure auto take off wasn't enabled.  Re-checked my control mapping, took off again.

Again, auto take off enabled.

Go with the flow.  So, I did.

HOLY SMOKES!  This was one of the best flying experiences I've had.  I got a bit of a feeling in my head of turning and such, it was the most glorious feeling of flight.  Mind you, I decreased speed by about 25% after take off and just flew for fun in the training arena.

I flew for about 20 minutes.

I wear glasses, the bridge of my nose was getting pinched and my glasses were getting fogged over!

Oh my, I was able to land successfully.

But, I realized that I don't think there's any way I can continue to fly VR and learn to fly in VR unless I have contacts.  Just not going to work without contacts.

The Quest headset doesn't accommodate glasses, AT ALL!  I could barely stand to have the headset on more than 30 minutes because of the pressure on the bridge of my nose and the fogging of the glasses due to lack of ventilation.

The experience is HUGE, incredible beyond belief, worth every penny spent because I also use Microsoft Flight Sim.

For me, I can't continue to use the Quest headset due to comfort issues unless I use contacts.  It's possible, I just need to get the prescription and get it done.

That's my experience so far, look forward to more!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: PopJanko's 60 year old attempt to use VR - experiences
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 11:01:23 PM »
Welcome to VR !!!!

OK, first you can get prescription lens inserts for the Quest, go here.  https://www.vr-wave.store/

Second, all settings and controls are seperate from the regular settings. So auto take off is a default setting and must be turned off in VR if that is the way you want it. Joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals are the same. If you set them up in the 2D version of the game you must set them up in the VR version of the game as well. A quick way to do this is to open the "File Explorer" (folder icon on the bottom of the desktop or type it into the search box) Navigate to "C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\settings" if your game is in the default location. Find your controllers my joystick is labeled "joystickhotaswarthog.jsm". Copy each controller file to the desktop and then rename each of them by adding "VR_" to the front of each. Mine would be VR_joystickhotaswarthog.jsm and drop them back into the settings folder. Once you restart the game all of your controllers will work like they do in the 2D version.

Third, get Voice Attack. VA is a program that you can program voice commands to do key punches. Say "tune 200" and it will run the key pushes to tune your radio to 200. It is only $10 for unlimited commands, but the free version gets you 10 commands. I have one that I say "calibrate" and it moves me to the bomb site, hits "U", hits and holds "Y" for 10 seconds, releases the Y and hits "U" again to get out of calibration mode and Im ready to drop, all with out touching the keyboard. Well worth the $10.

Forth, ask away!!! There are a number of folks using VR and and have worked though many issues. As in, put a fan on your desk and have it blow into your face. It will help with the fogging and also helps if you have motion sickness, which goes away after a few hours in the seat.

Have fun!!!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 06:29:12 AM »
I have my mr.magoo glasses on under my vive pro..

The prescription vr lenses didn't work for me..I  tried them

Vive pro has a deep space in front of their lenses so small frames fit ok though I have scratched both my glasses and vr lenses in the almost 6 years I have been using them..the gear vr lens mod makes changing the vive lenses easy ..

Glad you like vr...it was a whole new world in 2018 when I 1st tried it

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 11:36:01 AM »
I had the same problem with my RiftS and now G2 so I got lenses from Reloptix. Very nice, not godawful expensive and quick turnaround. Also made in the US. Two part system where the base snaps over the existing lense on the headset and the prescription lense mounts to that using tiny magnets. So easy to swap in and out or clean. Highly recommended.

I'd add I have a pretty extreme scrip and they were able to handle that. Not all of these companies do.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 02:00:31 PM »
Yep on top of the script in my right eye being off, it required the original fresnel lenses to be used in the vive..

The lens mod is much clearer than the original fresnel lenses so that killed it for me

Small frames should fit if the headset has any forward room at all if needed

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 05:56:13 PM »
A cheaper way to beat the glasses thing would be to get an aftermarket thicker face pad. Quests aren't on my radar but I know they make them. Either way you don't want the lenses of your glasses to be rubbing on the lenses of your headset scratching them. No such thing as replacement lenses for a headset!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 07:31:10 PM »
The Quest 3 can adjust the lenses away from your face if you wear glasses but I would still worry about scratching the lenses.

It is an uncomfortable headset.

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2024, 03:48:46 PM »
Thanks for all the tips!  I'm looking at the VR prescription lenses as an option.  Thanks for those tips!

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2024, 04:19:02 PM »
One thing that I haven't figured out.  When I get into a GV, the reticle in the gun site is never centered.   I've attached an example.

I've tried to reset view, but that doesn't work.   I also don't have TrackIR option enabled in VR settings.

It's very disorienting and hard to use the guns.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 05:01:06 PM by PopJanko »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2024, 10:12:22 PM »
One thing that I haven't figured out.  When I get into a GV, the reticle in the gun site is never centered.   I've attached an example.

I've tried to reset view, but that doesn't work.   I also don't have TrackIR option enabled in VR settings.

It looks centered to me, but your range finder is set to "0", or at the top of the range finder. I set my throttle in GV mode as the range finder axis. I use a couple of buttons to move forward and reverse so the throttle isnt needed to drive. I just pull the throttle back to move the range finder to the appropriate range for the target.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2024, 03:38:51 PM »

That looks like an LVT sight, and the way it is mean't to be (even in non-vr).

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2024, 04:41:59 PM »
That looks like an LVT sight, and the way it is mean't to be (even in non-vr).

Vulcan, it's a T-34 sight.   ;)

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2024, 04:44:00 PM »
It looks centered to me, but your range finder is set to "0", or at the top of the range finder. I set my throttle in GV mode as the range finder axis. I use a couple of buttons to move forward and reverse so the throttle isnt needed to drive. I just pull the throttle back to move the range finder to the appropriate range for the target.

Sorry, yes, it's centered.  I mis-spoke.  The x axis is very high. 

I didn't realize you could set the range finder axis.  I'll have to play with that.  Thaks for the tip!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 09:38:29 PM »
Ah, the LVT sight has the same thing going on.

Some sights are not great for VR, and the rotary range on some like the german tanks is difficult to use as the range bar sits right up the top and is difficult to read. That is why you usually see me in an M4.