Author Topic: Connection Lost  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
Re: Connection Lost
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2024, 07:45:29 AM »
What is this? A limit to how much you can post or a limit to how much you can see? I don't get it.
Maybe a suicidal mutual-fund manager reported you.

I suspect the convo will only go one direction. Political blame was right around the corner. Maybe even suggested in some way. But it was coming, no matter how innocent.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2024, 07:51:18 AM »
"Has" currently. The outages were higher right after the hurricane. Storm severity of course is the issue. My point was that you don't call a grid poor because portions of it are affected by natural disasters. Here we are at the hottest time of the year and Texas has fewer outages per capita of many if not most states. Ironic that Animl was calling the Texas grid horrible when his own much smaller state currently has significantly more outages and we're not talking per capita.

And btw, Houston has a lot more people than any city or county in Florida.

It is stated in every article the outage I spoke about was due to refusing maintenance of insulating certain gear to protect it from just that. Basically, I assume out of tx pride you’re trying yo dispel that reality. The natural disaster was due to incompetence. I have no clue about the rest. I only spoke of 1-2 that could have been avoided. I think tx pride consume some to think tx is immune from problems and everyone else is stupid and sucks. Denial. <shrug>
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 07:56:35 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2024, 07:56:28 AM »
Texas is overrated. Can't wait to see Texas become a middle of the pack SEC school.

*Horns Down
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2024, 08:09:49 AM »
It is stated in every article the outage I spoke about was due to refusing maintenance of insulating certain gear to protect it from just that. Basically, I assume out of tx pride you’re trying yo dispel that reality. The natural disaster was due to incompetence. I have no clue about the rest. I only spoke of 1-2 that could have been avoided. I think tx pride consume some to think tx is immune from problems and everyone else is stupid and sucks. Denial. <shrug>

A natural disaster is due to incompetence? I've never heard anything so ignorant. I think we're done here.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2024, 08:11:37 AM »
Texas is overrated. Can't wait to see Texas become a middle of the pack SEC school.

*Horns Down

Yeah, can't wait for that classic rivalry between Texas and Vandy to heat up this year.

Better yet, that burgeoning annual shootout between Wake Forest and Stanford in the good ol' ACC should be scintillating this season!

The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2024, 09:40:38 AM »
A natural disaster is due to incompetence? I've never heard anything so ignorant. I think we're done here.

Stop it, you know what iI meant. Power going out during cold weather never had to happen. I can’t explain because the thread will grt locked. But it went down during cold weather due to incompetence ordered by a moron who refused maintenance be done. Totally avoidable.Natual disasters is different. You’re busy trying to conflate the two. My only point was the grid went down during a cold flas, never brought up natural disasters . Because the grid was weakened and had to get power from another state is why you have mire wind power that any other stste. The thing they cry snout most, green power. The succombed to what that tribe hated the mist and why its funny. Sorta. People gad to freeze to death to get that change. Point being tx us nit as invincible as tx pride states.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 09:44:39 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2024, 10:05:55 AM »
Yeah, can't wait for that classic rivalry between Texas and Vandy to heat up this year.

Better yet, that burgeoning annual shootout between Wake Forest and Stanford in the good ol' ACC should be scintillating this season!

I thought that was funny, without even knowing what it means.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2024, 10:06:49 AM »
We had colder weather in Texas last year than you had in Indiana. I live in North Texas. No outages for us last year. In the late 70's the Tower Controllers at Grissom AFB Indiana got snowed in and lost power. They burned furniture in the tower to survive. Was that due to an incompetent state government? 

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2024, 10:29:15 AM »
We had colder weather in Texas last year than you had in Indiana. I live in North Texas. No outages for us last year. In the late 70's the Tower Controllers at Grissom AFB Indiana got snowed in and lost power. They burned furniture in the tower to survive. Was that due to an incompetent state government?

You’re totally missing my point. I’m in redundant repeat mode because I think you’re putting effort into it “Animl cannot be correct”. You had no more black outs because you niw have supplemental wind power. What I stated 3 pages ago is in fact correct.

TX is a great state. Many states are. But invincible to stupidity its not. People not conditioned to high heat, or fragile in age are NOT p******, texans could not handle the extreme cold and complained just as much. Its what you’re conditioned for.

Us snow birds get a chuckle from FL visitors who wear winter coats at 50-60 degrees. It started by you thinking tx is brawn and everyone else  a p****. Thats delusional. They isolate themselves and get caught up. Tx pride gets in the way of reality. <shrug>

Done, but not wrong.

My fav place in the country, because I’m into majestic, is west side of the cascades in WA state, a cool rain forest jungle. Most majestic place in the country, hands down. Rarely below 40, rarely above 80. Winter last one about month. I’ve been in 36 states. Its my fav.

Wanna experience extreme winter in the USA, go to Montana, middle if the jet stream.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 10:33:15 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2024, 10:41:37 AM »
You don't want to be challenged then don't make claims that are offensive and wrong.

And I've been to Montana many times. Lived just a few miles from the Idaho/Montana border for 3 years.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2024, 11:08:02 AM »
You don't want to be challenged then don't make claims that are offensive and wrong.

Here are some news articles about the Texas power grid and its issues, both during that freeze in '21 and ensuing years' issues because... reasons.   The refusal to consider cooperative cross state distribution is... detrimental to Texas citizens over the long run, imho. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/18/texas-power-outages-ercot/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen/2024/05/19/texas-is-heading-towards-an-avoidable-blackoutagain/

https://www.dallasfed.org/research/economics/2023/0117

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2024, 11:44:08 AM »
https://www.eenews.net/articles/texas-grid-has-gone-3-years-without-a-crisis-will-it-last/

And as was already mentioned. The demand on the Texas grid has grown dramatically as people leave other states to move to Texas. This growth isn't likely to stop anytime soon.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 11:46:11 AM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2024, 11:52:25 AM »
Two big semiconductor plants in construction now in Sherman Tx near us. Another was just awarded a $400 million subsidy under the Chips program to build another multi-billion dollar plant in Sherman.

Chip plants require a lot of water. Nearby Lake Texoma has a lot of water. North Texas in general has a lot of water.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 11:54:53 AM by AKIron »

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2024, 12:45:37 PM »
I have been through some major hurricanes and this last little storm we had here in Texas was worse than many of them. The winds were not straight winds. They would shift back and forth. That is why so many trees went down by the roots.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2024, 12:53:56 PM »
"Has" currently. The outages were higher right after the hurricane. Storm severity of course is the issue. My point was that you don't call a grid poor because portions of it are affected by natural disasters. Here we are at the hottest time of the year and Texas has fewer outages per capita of many if not most states. Ironic that Animl was calling the Texas grid horrible when his own much smaller state currently had significantly more outages and we're not talking per capita.

And btw, Houston has a lot more people than any city or county in Florida.
If it was JUST natural disasters, I probably wouldn’t have a gripe but it’s not.

Listen. I’m speaking from personal experience. And my experience isn’t just related to hurricanes and freak winter storms. I’ve literally spent more time in the dark in my last 6 years in Texas (in a metro area not the boonies) than the previous thirty plus years in various other states. Including Florida. That’s simply a fact. The grid, at least where I am, is TRASH. And there is plenty of evidence outside my personal experience to back that up. 

I’m genuinely curious to see that Florida map 4 days from now to compare percentages (not total numbers) of people who still don’t have power vs what happened in Houston. Mostly so I can see Florida’s recovery vs Texas. Cat 1s in Florida
usually bring more surfers than linemen.

I realize Texans have a lot of pride and this isn’t a bash on TX. Now, if you work for Centerpoint Energy as are trying to low-key defend your sub-par company, I’m willing to listen. But first you’re going to have to pay me the $2400 bucks you owe me for having to throw food away and repair the damage to my home your company cost me so far.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 01:09:14 PM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.