Author Topic: Well, WWIIO is still doomed  (Read 737 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Well, WWIIO is still doomed
« on: January 21, 2002, 10:27:42 PM »
One captured Fairmile with 2 occupants successfully captured a city (Dover!), and as a result panzers and troops could spawn. The island will fall shortly, and the game is now without one more player.

An idiotic game concession (enabled to cover a lie placed on the box) is now responsible for a cheap tactic that completely destroys any suspension of disbelief for me. Evaluation over, CRS can sink with their captured Fairmiles as far as I'm concerned.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 01:01:43 AM »
How long exactly has it taken you to realise CRS suck? :)
[No offence :)]
Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 01:31:14 AM »
Whine has been recorded.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 01:57:14 AM »
u think thats bad 4 dudes on the axis side were talkin (dunno if its true) about how they walked across the channel one time and capped a base. They said it took about 2 hours. They would hold "w" down then hit enter to bring up text buffer then let go of "w" and hit enter again. This allows you to keep walkin without holding the "w" key.

They said they kept gamevoice open and checked back through out the "walk" to britain..............

When I logged england had fallen and about 10 fairmile's had left dover docks to invade calais (sp).

I was over calais in a stuka as they dumped there inf. It got dark so I logged.

Way too many bugs to exploit in that game...............

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2002, 02:52:21 AM »
An idiotic game concession (enabled to cover a lie placed on the box) is now responsible for a cheap tactic that completely destroys any suspension of disbelief for me. Evaluation over, CRS can sink with their captured Fairmiles as far as I'm concerned.

Kieran, explain to me how do you keep your suspension of belief in AH?

I would think spawning PT boats from CV would hurt it. Or the fact that each side flies same planes all the time...
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Big difference
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2002, 06:13:19 AM »
AH doesn't purport to be a realistic recreation of a WWII environment, does it? You aren't told you are going to have the tools of war you should have and must use them accordingly, are you? Well, WWIIO claims that.

Are you saying wall clipping isn't a regular part of the game. Domino capping? A captured boat capturing English cities? Stuff like this is exactly why I don't play games like RTCW or Quake- you know people are cheating and you either put up with it or you don't play.

Staga, drop the pom-poms. Anytime someone brings a point up against WWIIO, you yell "whiner" out of reflex. You seem to forget you are not there sometimes. I have tried to be balanced on this revisit, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Your canned response is as predictable as if it appeared on their boards.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2002, 06:47:39 AM »
Hmm Kieren all I said is "Whine is recorded" and now you see pompoms on my hands ?

IMO there's lots of  things which needs more attention from CRS than situation you described.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2002, 06:55:33 AM »
Yup, pretty much I do, but that has as much to do with your history on the topic as one post. You noted I have been more or less positive about WWIIO in the past month or so, and wanted to give it a fresh look. I did. While some things have indeed improved, the core game is still crippled with exploits and cheats.

The major difference between there and here is I can jump into a plane here and ignore the rest of the war if I don't agree with it. There it isn't possible. Nothing wrong with that in concept, but if I must be involved in a war, I want to believe there is a reasonable chance it will be conducted without cheats and exploits. That seems reasonable, doesn't it?

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2002, 07:00:46 AM »
You are correct in saying that Kieren's problem isn't the biggest one CRS has but isn't that the point? If something like that is considered minor then they have major problems.

I tried getting back into WWIIO but it didn't take long for me to realize that it still has way to many bugs for me to pay any money for.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2002, 07:28:10 AM »
The major difference between there and here is I can jump into a plane here and ignore the rest of the war if I don't agree with it. There it isn't possible. Nothing wrong with that in concept, but if I must be involved in a war, I want to believe there is a reasonable chance it will be conducted without cheats and exploits. That seems reasonable, doesn't it?

Can you be sure that players in AH do not use exploits and cheats? In AH I have seen ground rolling bombers dropping bombs on troops, single engined fighters suicide bombing CV's, CV's being steered away from map, bombers flying outside of map and planes warping in most convinient moments.

There was also the incident where someone had hacked AH so that B-26 could drop troops and P-51 dropped dozens of bombs. This was fortunately stopped in swift manner after screenshots were made public.

There are cheats and exploits in every game. AH is quite limited in scope when you compare it to WWIOL that it is easy to see there is also less opportunities to exploit cheats and bugs.

I don't know why you cant ignore ground war in WWIIOL when flying? I do it succesfully all the time, except when I go hunting enemy ground forces on purpose.

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2002, 07:35:23 AM »
Because in WWIIO, if the enemy domino caps all your air bases, there is nowhere left to fly from. This situation can last for a long time- meaning a guy that has no interest in being infantry nor more than an hour to play is pretty much out of luck. In AH I can ignore what everyone else does pretty much, and only rarely am put in a situation where it is better to log.

There is nothing in AH that compares to the wall-clip cheat. No contest there. Exploits are here, sure, but they usually in no way effect what I expect from the game.

Put another way, if WWIIO advertises as "real as it gets", that's what I want when I go there. Comparing it to AH is irrelevant in that context, because AH has never presented itself as such. You may note that I never compare the two for this reason (previous to the comparisons made here). If it does come to comparing, anything they do similar AH does better, so why would I go there to get what I can here?

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2002, 07:40:58 AM »
Yes there are cheaters and hacks in AH but they don't effect the game like they do in WWIIO. Hell I've caught several of the so called great pilots cheating( a p38 pilot comes to mind) but once you know who they are you can normally avoid them.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2002, 08:09:40 AM »
"I don't know why you cant ignore ground war in WWIIOL when flying?"

Perhaps because purely flying aircraft in WWII Online is a joke with the bugs and gaping holes in the FM?

Westy

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2002, 08:34:38 AM »
Because in WWIIO, if the enemy domino caps all your air bases, there is nowhere left to fly from. This situation can last for a long time- meaning a guy that has no interest in being infantry nor more than an hour to play is pretty much out of luck. In AH I can ignore what everyone else does pretty much, and only rarely am put in a situation where it is better to log.

Likelyhood that enemy can capture all your air bases with domino attack is about as likely in WWIIOL as in AH I would think.

WWIIOL strategy elements prevent sneak captures that can be and are conducted in AH. If you want to capture airfield you must have friendly base next to that field. In standard WWIIOL frontline situation allies must capture tens of cities, each requiring something like 5 to 10 skilled infantry players and truck drivers in case of domino capture tactic, taht makes 50 - 100 players that are willing to co-operate. What is likelihood of that to happen? And still the operation can be spoiled by one stuka in wrong place...

There is nothing in AH that compares to the wall-clip cheat. No contest there. Exploits are here, sure, but they usually in no way effect what I expect from the game.

This is only because there is nothing in AH (yet, it is coming in 1.09) that compares to WWIIOL infantry model :D

Put another way, if WWIIO advertises as "real as it gets", that's what I want when I go there. Comparing it to AH is irrelevant in that context, because AH has never presented itself as such. You may note that I never compare the two for this reason (previous to the comparisons made here).

Personally I find it useless to look what the game claims to offer and what it actually offers. If I find the game to suit my interests I will pay for it, no matter what has been promised. After all, it's the product that counts, not the promises.

If it does come to comparing, anything they do similar AH does better

I do not agree that AH does everything better than WWIIOL, not at all. There are features that AH could use.

so why would I go there to get what I can here?

Only you can answer to that question... I did go there because they have what I cannot get here and I am very happy. It goes down to personal preference and those things are not worth arguing with :)

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Jochen
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2002, 08:43:39 AM »
What I am saying is, what few things AH and WWIIO do in common AH does better (aside from tank modeling). Your continued assertation that cheating doesn't occur in AH like WWIIO because there isn't infantry in AH? What does that matter? If cheating is acknowledged openly and accepted, it's wrong- however revolutionary the concept of the game.

As for domino capping- it happens. I was on the other night when we lost our airbases. Log off time for me, I won't grunt.

You have fun and I'm happy for you. I'm lost as a customer and won't recommend the game to anyone else.