Author Topic: Talibans in Cuba, Euro pressure...  (Read 3457 times)

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Talibans in Cuba, Euro pressure...
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2002, 08:24:52 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I think European political leaders are weak and indecisive because they always knew the USA was there if anything serious were to happend.  They need to fight some wars and soon and they need to do it without the USA as big brother.

I think the Germans, French, Italians, and  British have all fine armed services, and are quite capable. What they lack are numbers and the ability to finance a long conflict The English are a fine example of a military stretched across the Globe from Nth Ireland to the Sth Atlantic.

I also strongely disagree with the notion that EU leaders are weak. Hardly so, but the US is not restricted by the political minefield of German leadership by its troops being stationed outside its national borders, possibly where the German military had occupied in the 40's for example.
Europe is made of many differing cultures and opinions and aren't easily  polarised into a single view.

This is not a weakness, this is a strength and they need not fight wars as some type of proof of manhood.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2002, 08:34:15 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Trotski:

You make sick to be proud that this criminal who would like nothing better than to kill you will not be charged with anything.

Sorry for that trotski but thats not democracy its madness!

"You make sick to be proud that this " I'll assume you meant You make me sick that I'm proud.

ACTUALLY which part did I say I was proud? or even agreed...what I posted was the legal situation of David Hicks a mercenary who aparently found God while fighting for the KLA in Kosovo and went to Afghanistan to fight for the Taliban against the Northen Alliance.

He has a wife and family here, and he was fighting in a foreign county in it's own civil war. So you'll forgive me If I'll feel a little safer and assume that he wasn't out to kill me.

What I am proud of is that right or wrong the laws of this country will be adhered to, and not bent or twisted to satisfy the mob mentality whipped up by the media, condoned by political leadership.

Perhaps you'll think before swallowing whatever garbage Fox News or the like has just shown on TV

Tronsky
« Last Edit: January 23, 2002, 08:44:34 PM by -tronski- »
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2002, 11:18:45 PM »
That is certainly your right.

I disagree, laws are not some sort suicide pact, they need to change or be modified to suit specific instances- like this one.

I think than anyone directly involved with Al-Qaeda or Taliban after Sept11 should be punished in some way.

And yes I say after Sept11, make what you want of that, but Sept11 is when this task was put opn us. And Sept11 is when people had to decide which world to belong to, civilization or madness. Those choosing madness should be punished.

But I'm a smelly meat eating barbaric neanderthal or something right? And you are some urbane civilized progressive cultured vegitarian superhuman......

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2002, 12:20:23 AM »
Personally I don't think they qualify as "Prisoner's of War" since I don't think there was not a formal declaration of war on the nation of Afghanistan as we know it. There was a US led  worldwide declaration of war against terrorists and their supporting elements. That makes a huge difference to me.

I would be all for pushing their Taliban/Al-Qaeda arse's right out of the helo doors over shark infested waters with a few nice cuts in really meaty parts of their bodies.

But that is just the hateful side of me talking. Lets really give these beautiful, fun-loving, "we only did it to help the Taliban" people rooms at the Plaza hotel with $1000 spending money a day in NYC.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2002, 12:23:18 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2002, 02:00:34 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target

Have any European leaders actually said anything about the prisoners?

Sure there are toons of hesitation. Mostly between people, only few politics have balls to speak about it.

Im not disenchanted, propaganda in US works great.
Its good to see that few of you still see more then black and white.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2002, 02:05:45 AM »
Originally posted by brainless
Hi Grunherz,

i wonder where you are from, i mean your past in europe?!

i guess he is from southern part, because he speak 1st and then he think about it

southern people are mostly like that
:p

Offline brainless

• Zinc Member
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2002, 02:06:47 AM »
Buck, youīr still not seeing the difference between PEACE KEEPING and PEACE ENFORCEMENT...bad thatīs no problem...you never had to learn that.

Believe me that military has learned itīs lesson from the pictures showing UN soldiers chained to bridges, and i think that itīll not happen again. Try to fight a peace keeper and uīll find out what will happen. Only because they are not running around with blazing guns doesnīt mean they wonīt fight if thereīs the need.

THEY ARE BOUND TO TH RULE OF ENGAGEMENT. These rules were set by their leaders and the leaders of the state they are in, and believe me the restrictions normally are given by the last ones.

Iīm sorry t hear that you donīt like the name "Bundeswehr". The fact that you prefer the name "Wehrmacht" makes me thinking.... why do you prefer that name, you want some old "landsers" back on the streets?!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2002, 02:10:23 AM by brainless »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2002, 02:15:58 AM »
I just dont like the word, dont like the way it sounds- Wehrmacht just sounds, well more military....

Im Croatian and I thank Germany for its friendship and of course being the first state to recogonize our independance.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2002, 02:18:03 AM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2002, 03:01:41 AM »
Originally posted by Eaglecz

i guess he is from southern part, because he speak 1st and then he think about it

southern people are mostly like that
:p

Then my guess is that you are from the south right mate?

Oh please... :rolleyes: :D

Daniel, aka Cyrano
PS: Stereotyping must be one of the first things we Europeans should get rid of...

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2002, 03:55:45 AM »
I don't normally post in these topics, but this one hits home for me because of where i've been the last 6 months. I was deployed on a U.S. Navy ship on Sep 11th. I got to learn about the attacks mostly through E-mail, and some taped news stories flown over to us from the CV we were with. I had to watch some of my shipmates learn about thier loved ones dying that day. For the rest of that time i was underway, 100+ days at sea without stepping foot on dry land. How many of you can say you were even There to get first-hand information to even argue the points you are trying to make? Those "Detainees" (And that's what they are) are being treated quite well considering the circumstances they were "detained" under. They'll be treated that way until thier disposition has been determined. Whatever that is, It will be more humane that what happened on Sept 11th and that's for damned sure. If ya don't like the term "Detainee" then go to afghanistan for a while and serve some time. Then maybe you can talk to me about how those "detainees" are being mistreated.

-Hamish

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2002, 04:13:20 AM »
Read the post again Hamish, nowhere did I say I believed that they're being mistreated...nor do I.  I still think "Battle Field Detainee" is still a BS term of convience.  Sitting there saying,  "No it's not.", doens't suddenly change that.

How many of you can say you were even There to get first-hand information to even argue the points you are trying to make?

For the rest of that time i was underway, 100+ days at sea without stepping foot on dry land.

So tell us, what's it like in Afghanistan.  I mean you were there right?  In Afghanistan?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2002, 04:16:07 AM by Thrawn »

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2002, 04:15:27 AM »
I was Underway in support of Operation "Enduring Freedom"

Enuff said

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2002, 04:17:49 AM »
Thanks for helping protect me and mine.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2002, 04:32:10 AM »
Originally posted by Fatty
In the interests of humoring the moral outrage by our more civilized cousins across the lake, what about the picture was inhumane?  Giving them earmuffs?  The effort to prevent a TB outbreak?  Come on, you've got us barbarians right where you want us with the spotlight, out with the list.

I heard that they were given Hamburger which were NOT fat free !!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Damit it's intolerable !!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2002, 04:36:09 AM by straffo »

Offline brainless

• Zinc Member
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2002, 06:47:32 AM »
Hiya

The name Bundeswehr says exactly the same as the name Wehrmacht, only that today Germany is a federation (Bund).

And we took that part Macht (power) out in order not to offend anybody (...thatīs at least my opinion).

I donīt know if you know, but there still are states in Europe that would like to see Germany as an agricultural state, best without an army.
So weīve got to be a bit more careful when using words or choosing names....
We even changed the names of some barracks that had names of old Wehrmacht officers, Rommel for example. And that happened only 2 years ago.