Author Topic: Time to bring back field capture of old?  (Read 491 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Time to bring back field capture of old?
« on: January 23, 2002, 09:56:45 AM »
Way back in the old golden days of Warbirds, we used to have to land on the runway and exit to capture a field. The addition of the JU-52 and it's troops eliminated that neccessity.

Frankly, I miss those days of having to land the field to capture it. There's something so impersonal about dropping troops to capture a field. I remember how hair raising it was to try to slow down enough to land safely, all the while risking getting vulched as you touched down.

I wonder if bringing back that system would help increase the fun factor? Back in those days, an organized squad could fly behind enemy lines, destroy a field with buffs or heavy fighter-bombers, then land for the capture. No need for anyone to bring a goon.

Yep, those were the days. Even with 2D graphics, it was a blast. Long live v1.11r2!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 10:07:44 AM »
Heh... the F4U was especially good at controlled crash landings.

How about requiring an "inverted double hangar fly-through" for capture.  We could sell tickets in the tower.  :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2002, 10:28:01 AM »
Hehe, banana, "he'll" be along shortly to follow up on your post. :D

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2002, 11:08:34 AM »
Well, not ever doing Warbirds online, the "field capture of old" for me was flying an AH C47 into a  smoking wreck of a field, good guys and bad guys all over the place and landing way too hot hoping not to wreck.

Many times the bad guys got me but  the few times we actually pulled it off were some of the BEST AH times I ever had.

Keep the Gooney Bird.

Put the maproom back on the field please.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 11:18:58 AM »
I'm with Sunchaser.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 11:27:09 AM »
Can't you see guys that can fly magically through a mob without being hit *cough**cough* plopping their ride on the runway at 200mph, gear up and sliding to a stop before ack can get 'em? I can.

Goonies mean you have to prepare a field for capture, not just knock down the ack and bring a fighter down in a controlled crash. I flew WB's and DoA under this system, and I never cared too much for it. Too many guys can do what I mentioned above, and really excel at it.

Drop ack, spiral that B-26 down from 8k and pancake on the runway? Instant capture! Imagine the rear bases falling one after another. Waaaay too wrong direction for my tastes.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2002, 11:43:49 AM »
In "Dawn of Aces" the field captures are still done by landing at the field.  Those fields fall just as quickly and with the same amount of frustration for the defender.

I think field captures are just going to be a problem unless AH either had actual defending troopers that the airdropped troopers had to eliminate (shades of "Master of Orion II") or the number of troops required to take the field was tuned.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2002, 11:50:10 AM »
"so impersonal "

And so easy.

Make them land it outside the town! :)  I'd vote for that change in a heart beat. And any damage to the C47 results in some "drunk" casualites - depending on the damage severity due to enemy fire or a bad landing. More damage = more casualties = more C47/M3's required to run in replacements to the scene

Westy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2002, 12:06:53 PM by K West »

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2002, 11:56:28 AM »
Agree

Put the Map Room back on the field.  As it is now, down 3 acks and a city and woof, you own the field.  In the old days, it was a real nail biter to have all the acks down, hangars down and hope the goon would be there any moment

Miss those days  ;)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2002, 11:58:22 AM »
"Field capture of old" would be good Ol' Air Warrior...Which required 1.5 goons to capture a base...I would like to see something like...
Small Base:8 Troops
Med Base  :10 Troops
Large Base:12 Troops
Port Base   :8 Troops
VH Base     :6 Troops

Might add to strat..
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2002, 02:26:22 PM »
i miss capturing field the old way.

i'd be all for putting maproom back, though i bet htc is gonna have some mroe stuff in wait for us with 1.09
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2002, 04:55:30 PM »
Landing your plane for field capture was a blast.  For a "fun" arena like MA it is perfect.  But HTC have committed a lot of resources to troop carrying aircraft and vehicles so I doubt we'll see it.

Sure was fun in WB though.  My favorite was throwing the P-38 into a sideways slide to brake it on the runway.  :)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2002, 05:01:08 PM »
I would certainly like to see changes that make fields easier to capture.  Lots of quick captures and recaptures by small forces would certainly make the MA less stagnant than it sometimes becomes now.

Hooligan

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2002, 05:03:33 PM »
Originally posted by Sunchaser
Well, not ever doing Warbirds online, the "field capture of old" for me was flying an AH C47 into a  smoking wreck of a field, good guys and bad guys all over the place and landing way too hot hoping not to wreck.

Many times the bad guys got me but  the few times we actually pulled it off were some of the BEST AH times I ever had.

Keep the Gooney Bird.

Put the maproom back on the field please.

Jup, keep the goonie birds, put the map room back on the field, and get Sunchaser back in his goony bird :D

There's alot of good drivers out there, but I don't think anyone could sneak a goony around like Sun could

bro

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2002, 07:41:13 PM »
This ain't Warbirds.