Author Topic: Spit XIV vs P-47M  (Read 414 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Spit XIV vs P-47M
« on: January 24, 2002, 08:02:15 PM »
They meet on opposing courses at 30,000 ft.   Guns cold at merge.   Who would win, and why?

OK, talk amongst yourselves.....

Offline vector at work

• Zinc Member
Spit XIV vs P-47M
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2002, 03:54:35 AM »

Given that both pilots know what they are doing: P-47M
Superior hi alt performance.
Top speed 470-480mph @ 28.500ft
Climb (w/ wep) to 20.000ft: 4.75 min with full fuel and ammo.
P-47M is a monster! I heard we are going to get it in ver 1.09, kewl!
:)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Spit XIV vs P-47M
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2002, 07:03:25 AM »
I think that's a good contention, but the Spit XIV is no slouch, either.   I wonder at what altitude it's best performance occurs?

Seem's strange to suggest that a Jug will out manuever the Spit XIV, doesn't it?   But, I did put them at 30,000 ft.   So if they both know what they are doing, the Spit driver should spiral dive to a lower altitude, right?  And of course the Jug driver would follow, and have plenty of E (prolly more than the Spit) when he got there.   Now, have the tables turned?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Spit XIV vs P-47M
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2002, 07:13:12 AM »
Hmmm, I really don't know enough to say.  Both planes are real monsters, but I'd have to know more about the Spit than I do.  It would certainly be an interesting fight, and I think it would be close enough that pilot skill would be the deciding factor.

I look forward to having this fight sometime in the future in AH. :)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Spit XIV vs P-47M
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2002, 07:32:16 AM »
OK, my guess is that if the Spit survives long enough to drag the fight down to a lower altitude, where the '47 doesn't have such an advantage, the Spit would prolly have superior E-retention and climbrate and be able to manuever into firing position.  Of course the Jug driver would see this starting to occur and power dive out of danger, right?  And nuthin' dives with a Jug, right?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spit XIV vs P-47M
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2002, 08:16:43 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
They meet on opposing courses at 30,000 ft.   Guns cold at merge.   Who would win, and why?

OK, talk amongst yourselves.....

Well, the P-47M is 30-35 mph faster at the minimum. Therefore, the Spitfire will be totally defensive as the Jug can disengage at will. So, it's the P-47 pilot's fight to win or lose.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline lapa

• Zinc Member
Spit XIV vs P-47M
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2002, 08:53:09 AM »
Well, the Spit XIV should be a great hi alt plane too, it should do something around 440 mph at that alt and probably have a lower wing loading that the Jug so the fight shouldn't be totally one sided.

Anyway, I'd bet on whatever plane has the better pilot.

Our current spit IX is a great hi alt fighter too.. still I've tun into some in the arena who tell me that is's only good for low level dogfighting.. to all their own I guess.

Lapa