Author Topic: uncalled for  (Read 687 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
uncalled for
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2002, 03:09:11 PM »
I see your point, JAB. It looks like we've just grown up in different environments

What are you saying banana?  That you didn't grow up in a trailer park?  :)

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Don

• Silver Member
uncalled for
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2002, 04:03:07 PM »
>>>>I wish we could all be friends and give each other salutes after a fight, and gather around and give each other a big Barney hug at the end of the night.<<<<<

Ahhh banana! I was with ya up to the point listed above :(
And then ya had to go and do that......so the juvenile in me (or guy, take yer pick) prompts me to say ...."Bullocks you banana" :D
I feel better now :)

Offline Tjay

• Copper Member
uncalled for
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2002, 05:15:40 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
Ripsnort--
I still don't understand what this recent "you all have to be nice to each other" crap is about.  Are you people really so sensitive that you can't handle a bit of trash-talking?  J_A_B

Nope, we can handle it, but why should we have to? There's a lot of difference between being Nicey Pie and Prissy and using gratuitous obscene language which - as this thread confirms - is offensive to many players.

I remember typing 'Shit!' on my squad channel some while ago and got an automatic warning. Is that all that happens? (Genuine question.)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
uncalled for
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2002, 05:21:22 PM »
No, it only warns you the first time.  If you do it again, you get muted for a while.

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
uncalled for
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2002, 05:56:46 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
Looks like another argument for a permanent squelch option or an ad for CA, those types don't hang around long in there..

I agree they don't last long heheh i know some
        more thats heading that way ;)
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
uncalled for
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2002, 09:48:34 PM »
Aces High is a virtual environment created for those who love WWII era aircraft.  Created for us wannabes in most cases so that we to can somewhat experience what was done, and felt as a pilot flew combat during the era 1939 - 1945.

It gives youngsters (sometimes) the urging to "look up" the names of some of the valiant men who flew during WWII.  It also impresses their young minds.  They might just get interested in the craft that are slowly disappearing from the planet, unfortunate crashes, some left to rot etc.  It also can be a pleasant learning experience learning to play as a team.

Unfortunately...even though this is just a game a few "hot heads" can't seperate the virtual world from the real one. Let our children learn the real world by experiencing the real world.  There is no need for intolerable language anywhere, anytime while playing a simple game.  IT AIN"T REAL!"  It's a venue to have fun and interact within the community.  Not for some jerk who wishes to spew his intelligence in vulgarity over the text buffer.

My son is 12 years old....and I'm sure he's heard plenty.  I am not naive about that.  But lets' teach our younger ones also that what is not tolerated in the real world....is also not tolerated in a virtual one.   They'll learn enough on their own....let's not give the impresssion that it is acceptable to behave like an ignoramus in a virtualy created venue made for the express purpose of having fun...it's a game.  Treat it as such and enjoy!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline K West

• Silver Member
uncalled for
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2002, 08:26:20 AM »
*Really* good post Hajo.   !

Westy

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
uncalled for
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2002, 09:44:21 AM »
"Not for some jerk who wishes to spew his intelligence in vulgarity over the text buffer."

should read:

Not for some jerk who wishes to spew his LACK OF intelligence in vulgarity over the text buffer.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
uncalled for
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2002, 12:45:08 PM »
It gives youngsters (sometimes) the urging to "look up" the names of some of the valiant men who flew during WWII. It also impresses their young minds. They might just get interested in the craft that are slowly disappearing from the planet, unfortunate crashes, some left to rot etc. It also can be a pleasant learning experience learning to play as a team.

Wow.. this is very well stated drivel.

One of the flaws with how people view "heros" is the common confusion between actions and the person themselves.  Someone could have done heroic things in WW2 and be a complete ass.  Likewise... some people with truly heroic personalities didn't make it through their first engagement.  Deeds do not define the man.

AH pretty much exemplifies that.  The best pilots can be asses.  They can also be class acts.  Abilities are not correlated to behavior.  That is also a lesson to be learned.

Another lesson to be learned is that teamwork often involves working with people you don't personally care for.  Its not always a pick and choose.  Some will be likeable.. some will be offensive... but its up to everyone to figure out a way to make that work.

There's a time when the fairy tale stories have to end.  That should be well before you start playing AH.  Though, many here are still in need of that sobering experience.

Unfortunately...even though this is just a game a few "hot heads" can't seperate the virtual world from the real one. Let our children learn the real world by experiencing the real world. There is no need for intolerable language anywhere, anytime while playing a simple game. IT AIN"T REAL!" It's a venue to have fun and interact within the community. Not for some jerk who wishes to spew his intelligence in vulgarity over the text buffer.

One thing your child is going to learn is that some of the ugliest behavior you will see occurs while playing games.  Friends are often lost on the playing field.  It has nothing to do with the word "game" and everything to do with the word "competition".

Some people will behave differently than others... in AH, the "Real World" and in every game on the face of the Earth.  To expect some kind of uniform behavior is simply unrealistic.

In light of that, it comes down to identifying what you believe to be excessive when you see it.  Forward that information to HTC and let them make the decision on whether or not it is acceptable behavior in thier game... providing them with as much information as possible.  Then let them handle it.

Believe it or not, people will not draw the same line in all situations.  What one percieves as profanity/vileness is different than another.  Its not your job, nor is it any one else's to define this for HTC.  Its simply your decision as to whether HTC is meeting your standards or not as far as regulating behavior goes.

Its just that any regulation will result in loss of revenue for HTC.  Lack of regulation will do likewise.  Obviously, there needs to be some kind of balance.

Zero tollerance is a really neeto idea... if you aren't worried about customers.

AKDejaVu