Author Topic: Poll: Not military related at all, but on speed ;-)  (Read 1179 times)

Offline DmdStuB

• Zinc Member
Poll: Not military related at all, but on speed ;-)
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
153 mph (according to radar)on my 1990 FZR600 at Daytona Int'l Speedway (I know, I know....not a public road)
125 mph (according to digitally calibrated speedometer) in my police car on the interstate.....car could go faster but the damn limiter kicks in  

StuB

Originally posted by Sturm:
What is the fastest speed you have ever attained on a public road 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled?

Sturm

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
Yikes stub you a trooper in VA?  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron
"The soup nazi"

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
Crash, I know what you're thinking, over 160 on a 600 is kinda rare.  

However, (Sturm'll like this too) I used to run the Gloucestershire UK branch of the Kawasaki Riders Club.  There was a bloke who owned a ZX-6R, had more money than sense and time on his hands.....spend thousands on the thing.  Took it through the timing lights at Bruntingthorpe at 178mph true.  Those kwack engines can be wrung to hell and back, the tollerances are bleedin great.  I had a ZXR400L3 that I got 85bhp out of, damn thing did 149.5 at Bruntingthorpe (tried 4 times to get 150....nope).

Sturm, I love kwacks, they just look so damn meaty.  Trouble is I wanted a 600 and the ZX is a bit.....um.....toury.  Damn good engine tho, I just didnt wanna spend any more on mods and the R6 wipes the floor with a stock ZX-6R.  It gets to 120mph in 150 metres less than any other 600. 0-60 in 3.27secs.  

The R6 is only comfy if you're in leathers and not much else.  Add a T-shirt, 2 sweaters, waterproofs and a heavy bikers coat over the top and the riding position is bloody painfull after 50 miles.  The ZX-6R scores big there, real comfy, huge seat, good fairing.

Handling is like comparing Spit with P51.  I reckon the extra weight of the ZX helps in fast sweepers......but thats all.  The ZX decks out MUCH sooner than the R6.

If I had stupid money to spend I'd pick the ZX and replace almost everything to lighten the bike and get the most out of that beaut of a motor*.  As it stands I'll keep my R6 ta.

* actually, no I wouldnt, I'd buy an SB7 instead.

Sturm

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
Swoop I hear ya, I am one of those die hard Green and purple lovers.  I did everything I could to lighten it up, and around 370 was the lowest I got it with a full tank of gas.  I shouldn't have been so rash with Crash, but sometimes jumping the gun is not good.  178 true my god.  I would have liked to have known what he did to his bike, I refused to run nitrous for that was instant death waiting in a bottle.  

One thing though I did not just waste the money on the bike for the street I did race it every other weekend.  It was expensive to keep it on the street.  Oh and my race number was 187    Team mate who was a doctor and our sponsor his number was 666 was very odd to say the least.  Rode for SR Axis out of AZ.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
"The soup nazi"

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
Dude, dont even go there.  I left the business in 92 and yes, I've raced at watkins glen and at bridgehamton. As a matter of fact, the first time I ever saw a race course I was racing on it.  CBR 600's top speed was in the 130's if I remember correctly, as were all stock 600's of the time, 91 and earlier,  and of course if ya spent $7000 on the motor it's gonna be significantly faster, (conveniently left that out though, didnt ya), although I dont know why you'd do that unless you were racing enough to warrent the cost.  Very few people I've known did and I knew alot of people in the business.  You didnt mention that in your post which is why I specifically used the work "stock".  The 135 to 140mph reference was refering to the 600 not the 1000...figure you'd know that.  
     As for a modern stock 600 doing 150 now, thats great, but it still aint 172 which is why I questioned it. BTW, I spent 5 years in the business and there wasnt too much I didnt know about motorcycles and I've ridden just about every model sold between 87 and 92 made by honda,kawasaki, suzuki, and bmw.  In that time I met literally hundreds if not a thousand enthusiasts and you wouldnt believe the toejam I've heard people claim and the misperceptions they held about the hardware and about riding in general...Christ, it was amazing some of it, so naturally when you claimed 172 on a 600 I had to question it, although you'll take note I did it in manner so as not to sound like I was trying to discredit you, which of course is not the same tone in your reply.  Why you'd make a clearly exagerrated claim like that and conveniently leave out material facts like "I spent 7 grand on the bike" and direct it towards go fast kinda people and not expect to be questioned about it leads me to believe you were lookin for an opportunity to let everyone know just what a smart motorhead you really are.  Congradulations...I'll call cycle world, I'm sure they're always lookin for guys like you.

CRASH OUT

Crash have you ever raced before?  I am curious.  Do you understand the HP to weight relationship?  Gearing?  I had multiple sets of sprokets, depending on the track and for street use.  I boosted the HP of my stock bike by 36 HP, I invested well over 7,000 into this bike most into the engine.  And crash you might have sold bikes or raced them back in the 70's or whenever but the 600 bikes they have out now stock do 152-56.  STOCK!!!!

Crash what do you know about rockets?  140 maybe even 135 top speed?  You got me laughing here this has just proven to me your data on rice burners is about 15 years old.  Hell my old 88 Hurricane "thats a CBR F1 if ya didn't know" would do that easily.

Please stick to topics you know something about and discrediting someone when you know very little about the subject matter at hand makes you the fool.  Here is your homework assignment go out and research the top speed's of these bikes.  ZX-6R GSXR-750 ZX-9R CBR 929 GSX-R1000 ZX-12

Crash I have included A link for your reading so you can catch up with the times.  
 http://www.cycleworld.com/xp6/CycleWorld/contents.xml/features/0301_gixxer_gym.xml
ZX-6R review
This is for the GSX R1000 from this article it states

Covering the same stretch of road aboard the new 1000 registers upward of 188 mph on its digital speedometer, yet I didn't encounter a hint of instability. In all honesty, I'd estimate actual speeds were just shy of 170 mph, considering the grossly exaggerated speedometer error while leaned onto the rear tire's smaller-diameter shoulder

Here is your stock 1000 going 140 lol.  Ok I am thru with you for now.  Still chuckling at you though Crash.    (Image removed from quote.)        

[/b]

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2001, 07:57:00 PM »
One thing will always be true $=horsepower, but if I was gonna make a claim that I went 200mph in my 97 camaro I'd mention that I rebuilt the whole motor so as not to give people the idea that I didnt know what I was talkin' about, but hey, thats just me.

CRASH

Originally posted by Swoop:
Crash, I know what you're thinking, over 160 on a 600 is kinda rare.  

However, (Sturm'll like this too) I used to run the Gloucestershire UK branch of the Kawasaki Riders Club.  There was a bloke who owned a ZX-6R, had more money than sense and time on his hands.....spend thousands on the thing.  Took it through the timing lights at Bruntingthorpe at 178mph true.  Those kwack engines can be wrung to hell and back, the tollerances are bleedin great.  I had a ZXR400L3 that I got 85bhp out of, damn thing did 149.5 at Bruntingthorpe (tried 4 times to get 150....nope).

Sturm, I love kwacks, they just look so damn meaty.  Trouble is I wanted a 600 and the ZX is a bit.....um.....toury.  Damn good engine tho, I just didnt wanna spend any more on mods and the R6 wipes the floor with a stock ZX-6R.  It gets to 120mph in 150 metres less than any other 600. 0-60 in 3.27secs.  

The R6 is only comfy if you're in leathers and not much else.  Add a T-shirt, 2 sweaters, waterproofs and a heavy bikers coat over the top and the riding position is bloody painfull after 50 miles.  The ZX-6R scores big there, real comfy, huge seat, good fairing.

Handling is like comparing Spit with P51.  I reckon the extra weight of the ZX helps in fast sweepers......but thats all.  The ZX decks out MUCH sooner than the R6.

If I had stupid money to spend I'd pick the ZX and replace almost everything to lighten the bike and get the most out of that beaut of a motor*.  As it stands I'll keep my R6 ta.

* actually, no I wouldnt, I'd buy an SB7 instead.

Offline DmdStuB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2001, 09:43:00 PM »

Yikes stub you a trooper in VA?  

No, Sturm, I work for a city and I-95 passes through it.  For some reason, most turds try to use the interstate to get away.  They forget about the limited (and well known to us) number of exits, and that they can't out run the radio.  I still like it when they try though  

Hey Crash,
The stock 1989 Yamaha FZR 600 did 145 mph.  My '90 FZR 600 was stripped, piped and jetted.  When the CBR F-2's came out they STOMPED the FZR's in acceleration and top speed but the FZR's cornered better.  Was alot like turn fighter versus energy fighter situation.....very frustrating  

Sturm

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
Crash
As you stated  
One thing will always be true $=horsepower, but if I was gonna make a claim that I went 200mph in my 97 camaro I'd mention that I rebuilt the whole motor so as not to give people the idea that I didnt know what I was talkin' about, but hey, thats just me.

What I said first line in this thread  
ZX-6R race bike in Arizona heading to Tucson
Didn't realize I had to go on figured the average person would understand the difference between a race bike and a stock one, until you came along.  Plus going into details I certainly did later.  19 posts later.  
I used to race out at FIR and vegas in the 600 class. I had my bike street legal by adding a mirror to the left handle grip and adding a good old license plate. Depending on the gearing I used for long road trips I would go 2 up in back running a 600 with 130 RWHP and weighing 370 wet.
What part of the weight and HP thing didn't you understand?  I mentioned this way before mentioning how much I spent on the bike.  

Another good one from ya  
and of course if ya spent $7000 on the motor it's gonna be significantly faster,"DUH" (conveniently left that out though, didnt ya),"Crash once again didn't think I had to throw out $ figures would be braggging to the 10th degree" although I dont know why you'd do that unless you were racing enough to warrent the cost. Very few people I've known did and I knew alot of people in the business. You didnt mention that in your post which is why I specifically used the work "stock".

Crash you came into this thread the "Wang Wei" wrongway and I assume you might have some knowledge on this subject matter, judging by your commments I have a hard time believeing you know anything but what you can read in cycle world, even that you still claim figures lower.  As far as very few not spending that much on their bikes?  What rock are you living under?  I knew 20 people out in AZ alone that spent more then double what I spent in our group.  And BTW this post was never intended on making me look like a smart motorhead LOL, hell the car portion I wasn't even driving it, you crack me up.

from Mr. Crash Congradulations...I'll call cycle world, I'm sure they're always lookin for guys like you.
 LOL and I am sure they will listen to ya buddy.  Go get em, and don't bother reposting until you have finished your homework assignment.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
"The soup nazi"

[This message has been edited by Sturm (edited 04-18-2001).]

lazs

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
going by gearing and tire size... my 55 Healey is doing 157 at 6500 rpms... it wont pull more than 7000 in 3rd or fourth tho.   67 vette 454 160 at 6600rpms.  102 inch shovelhead... no tach guess at about 140.  69z28 150 at 7200rpm.   couple of friends are in the 200mph club at bonnie and my buddy owns an a fuel dragster.

I have allways liked acceleration more than top speed tho and am not interested in modern stuff or furriner stuff.  like the sound and punch of big inch "antiques".

not sure but I believe that anything around 170 would set a 600cc record at bonnie tho.
lazs

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
You don't need a fast bike to have fun anyway...

No, Its not me  

Sturm

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
What are the 600 drag bikes doing their quarter mile runs in?  I am not sure I don't follow them but I know it is ludicrous time and speeds.  Swoop posted a guy that did 178 in his ZX-6R and that was at Bruntingthorpe.  Never thought about this though slip streaming with other riders how much speed would this add on?  But the guy Swoop posted about was alone I was in a group of 10.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
"The soup nazi"

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
Drag bikes are kickin through the 1/4 mile in waaaay sub 10 secs.   7 sec 1/4 mile would not be unusual.....but you cant use that kinda kick on the streets.

Not many production bikes get sub 10 secs on the 1/4.......R6s get 11.16secs, Porche 911 gets 13.7secs......scupcake.  Must be all them extra wheels slowing em down.

Um......reason I know all this toejam is cos I wrote a bike racing game a while back (with all kindsa engine mods available) and input the test data for just about every bike from AR50s upwards......kinda makes meaningless figures stick in yr mind.

Sturm

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2001, 01:40:00 AM »
What about the knuckleheads running Nitrous on the street?  Had a guy die last summer on a  900RR hit the nitrous rear ended a car doing 120+.  Darwin lives in some thats is for sure.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
"The soup nazi"

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2001, 06:48:00 AM »
AHhhh... you bunch of wienies! I got a toyota 4 X 4 that'll do 90! Bring it on! I'll..I''llll... I'll let you guys run interference on them blue light guys, hehe.  
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

lazs

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
just to add some perspective...

Class APS-PF: Posted 156.677MPH to displace the old 124.017MPH record
Class MPS-PG: Posted 157.284MPH to displace the old 154.432MPH record
Class APS-PG: Posted 156.674MPH to displace the old 155.361MPH record
Class MPS-PF: Posted 158.533MPH to displace the old 139.968MPH record

These are the land speed records for the 1000cc motorcyle class.   They break down like this... the first letter is amount of modification, second two are "partial streamline" - then,"pushrod" then not sure what the last letter is.

I've been told you can add a "couple" of miles per hour for sea level and asphalt vs salt.

650 Cubic Centimeters (Approx. 39.7 Cubic Inches)

CLASS
                           ENTRY NAME
                                                          DRIVER
                                                                         YEAR
                                                                                      SPEED
 A-G
              David Dastrup/Twist Off Racing
                                                       D. Dastrup
                                                                         Sep-93
                                                                                      168.488
 A-VG
              Eric Vaughn
                                                       E. Vaughn
                                                                         Jun-99
                                                                                      132.052
 A-PF
              Tatro Machine Special
                                                       K. Tatro
                                                                         Nov-95
                                                                                      145.979
 A-VF
              Eric Vaughn
                                                       E. Vaughn
                                                                         Nov-98
                                                                                      129.123
 APS-G
              David Dastrup/Twist Off Racing
                                                       D. Dastrup
                                                                         Nov-94
                                                                                      174.249
 APS-VG
              Eric Vaughn
                                                       E. Vaughn
                                                                         Jul-98
                                                                                      128.747
 APS-VF
              Tatro Machine Special
                                                       K. Tatro
                                                                         Sep-97
                                                                                      136.041

These land speed records ar for 650cc class at El Mirage dry lakes and some of them are for modified (stretched) frames and "streamlines".
lazs

[This message has been edited by lazs (edited 04-19-2001).]