Author Topic: Does AH Need the B-29 Superfortress?  (Read 729 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Does AH Need the B-29 Superfortress?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2002, 08:25:04 PM »
You guys want a russian Heavy so bad?

Bring on the TU-4 before the 29! :D

*No one is getting this joke, are they?*

C'mon you guys. I thought you knew everything about WWII hardware.

Your really letting me down here.

Nobody watching the Discovery Wings Channel lately?

And where then hell is Karnak when I need him?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2002, 08:27:40 PM »
real run on people with a false sense of supperiority arround this bbs  of late.
Soviet copy of the B29. reputed to be complete with bullet holes.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2002, 08:29:02 PM »
Dude, you put a 360mph, 20k payload, 35K+ ceiling, 10x.50 and 1x20mm defensive armament, 3,200 mile-range bomber in this arena for free, you may as well remove the other bombers. What's gonna catch it at alt? A 262 at 200 points? A Ta152 at 70 points? Shoot, the Japanese don't have anything to catch it at all at that height. That leaves P-38, 109, P-51, and a couple of other aircraft that have the lungs to go that high, and one teeny mistake and they are toast or miss the chance altogether.

Ever chase a B-17 or Lanc at high alt? It's hard enough. Now imagine something 70-80 mph faster.

IF and WHEN it appears, it has to be perked, and big. It WILL get through, and it WILL wreak havoc.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2002, 08:29:53 PM »
I got the Tu-4 reference, I was just ignoring you  :)

Anyone who wants to "eat my lunch" is welcome.  I learn exactly SQUAT nailing people who give me zero deflection shots from the tail turret.  I need people who know how to kill buffs to teach me how to gun from them.  I'm not a very good buff gunner; no experience at it.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline UserName

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2002, 08:32:43 PM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
You guys want a russian Heavy so bad?

Bring on the TU-4 before the 29! :D

I'd have to second this request.

The Tu-4 is a example of classical Soviet originality.

The B-29? *yawn* Just another Yankee bomber.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2002, 08:34:22 PM »
Shane, the only problem with that logic is this: the stated ceiling for the Lancaster is 24,671 ft. How many times have you seen 35K Lancs with full loads over your HQ in AH? Lots.

So, is it unreasonable to assume the B-29 won't operate above its performance specs in AH? Think it is impossible we may see 40K buffs? How many fighters in the game can operate, not to mention operate offensively, at that altitude?

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2002, 08:34:50 PM »
I'd like to see it, perk at 10 points (yes 10), because with full bomb load it's rate of climb will be worse then the lanc.

But I would rather see a german heavy bomber added first.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2002, 08:41:38 PM »
Ahh, My faith in the BBS is restored.

Hey, I'm not acting superior. I picked up that little tidbit of info the other night, and was aching to use it.

God knows, I don't know half the Sh*t you fellas are talking about most of the time.

Thanks Pongo! I can sleep now.:)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2002, 09:39:14 PM »
Whenever I think of the B29.. all I remember is one day when I was watching a documentary and they had a piece on the B29 and my grandfather walked in and looked at the screen and said

"B29 eh?... the damned thing was tail heavy... I wanted to fly P38's but the damned Airforce stuck me in bombers...."

then turned around and left...

I was rollin' hehe ;)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2002, 09:42:34 PM »
B29 has a maximum conventional payload of 16,000 pounds.  Thats only 2000 pounds more than the Lancaster.  The early versions that had guns had 4 remote turrets with 2 .50 cals in each turret.  The tail gunner had a 20mm cannon.  The B29b had no defensive armament.  Crews werent real happy about that.  

I am 100% for having the B29.  It might need to be perked since it is such a good bomber.  20 to 30 perks would be acceptable.  Less is better.  

Historical statistic:  More B29s were lost due to mechanical failures than due to combat damage.

Offline Rob Cashman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2002, 10:15:55 PM »
WoOot! Looks like lots o'fish for a Lenten Friday tommorow! :) Only a foo' would ever think the B-29 should not be perked.

I am a tad dissapointed that the topic did not get very inflammatory. where were the calls for the P.101 or TA-183?? ;) I guess the obnoxious leprechaun looking for film.exe stole the wind out of all else going on today ;)

Offline chunder'

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2002, 10:32:03 PM »
I would love to see the B-29 in AH, the sooner the better.  Would it be unbalancing?  Hell yes!!  But only if it were unperked, which would be a major mistake.  I feel a fair perk value would be in the 40-90 range.  Only being enabled at certain airfields also sounds like a decent idea, maybe limit it to medium and large or possibly just large fields.  Fighters already have the ultimate example of their kind in the game (262), why can't the bombers have theirs?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2002, 12:38:11 AM »
B-29A would be the version to add, hopefully with the 4 gun forward top turret too.

Kieran,

B-29A with the 4 gun turret had 12 50s and 1 20mm.:D

As to perking it, hell yes.  The thing would render all other bombers moot and pointless if it weren't perked.  The level of perking is something I'd leave up to HTC.  There are many factors to consider with this particular aircraft.  It is very powerful, but it isn't actually fast enough to run from fighters and like all perk planes it will get gangbanged.  It might prove too unsurvivable to justify a 200 point price tag.  I'd hesitantly suggest a 100 point price tag, given the current perk values in AH (which I have made abundently clear that I think are too high).

BTW, Kieran, the Lanc's technical ceiling was 24,000ft.  Technical because the way the RAF defined an aircraft's service ceiling was by the point at which its climb rate dropped to less than 500ft per minute.

The Lanc could climb higher, the RAF simply didn't see the point at that rate of climb.  People playing AH are simply ignoring that and slowly clawing their way higher.

Now, if the Lanc climbs faster than 500ft per minute at 24,000ft, you have an issue.

Pongo,

It wasn't "complete with bullet holes".  It was "complete with holes accidentily drilled during construction".
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2002, 05:45:41 AM »
How about B-29B as non perk? :)

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2002, 06:23:29 AM »
Will we have it AH? - Im sure one day we will!

Will it be perked? - Yes it will be!

How much will it cost? - A lot! My guess is 100-200 pps