Author Topic: Are the Bishops now part of the Rising Sun?  (Read 284 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Are the Bishops now part of the Rising Sun?
« on: April 16, 2002, 09:36:16 AM »
Interesting observation I had yesterday while I was online during the day.  It wasn’t my normal time to be up so I’m not sure if this is a day culture or entire Bishop strategy or not.  Seemed to work very well though.

Mind you I have seen my share of kamikaze aircraft approaching a field and doing a suicide dive into the AA at a target.  I have never seen aircraft after aircraft after aircraft do this though.  It took me several minutes to figure out what was going on.  “Damn, not one of these guys cares whether or not they survive the attack”.

Each would come in, do a high-speed dive (most seemed to be in either P38’s or 47’s), and drop on a hanger.  One by one the hangers dropped.  I didn’t realize what was going on until I spied the deck and saw the one loan FH that was up had 2 craters next to it.

This looked like it was actually a coordinated attack with the kamikaze tactic being used intentionally rather than the normal dweeb death dive.  I wouldn’t have participated in such a thing because I like to fly to live.  I have to say it was very effective.

So, was that whole thing I saw intentional or did it just end up that way?  If it was intentional who was the responsible “general”, was it a squad, and if it wasn’t a squad, how did you convince everyone to do the death dive?

Just curious.  BTW, it was after the reset and at A63 in the Baltic terrain which is the base just east of A1.

Offline TheOxman

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 09:40:43 AM »
If you death dive into a AA or hanger or anything, does it cause damage on the building you hit.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 10:06:15 AM »
Each would come in, do a high-speed dive (most seemed to be in either P38’s or 47’s), and drop on a hanger.

you do a high speed dive in a p-38 = you compress at 450mph and lawndart.
you do a high speed dive in a p-47 = you reach 600mph with a blink of an eye, create a sonic BOOM, lawndart in "Baltic" terrain and come out in "Mindnao" map. :D

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 10:18:44 AM »
RTOFL :)
you are truly a wise man Bozon :)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 10:34:37 AM »
LOL bozon.

TheOxman – no crashing the aircraft does not cause damage.  Releasing the bombs a second before you crash does.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 10:38:42 AM »
except that bombs dont arm before travelling 1000 feet anyway
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2002, 10:41:17 AM »
Heh, I would bet $100 its just general ineptitude that you witnessed.  Must have been an FDB mission.

Offline TheOxman

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2002, 11:29:59 AM »
you have to be a a min. alt of 1000 feet before a bomb will explode?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2002, 11:57:25 AM »
Originally posted by TheOxman
you have to be a a min. alt of 1000 feet before a bomb will explode?

I think its 500 feet, before the bomb arms.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2002, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lance
Heh, I would bet $100 its just general ineptitude that you witnessed.  Must have been an FDB mission.

LOL! Last week, the Bish spent two hours trying to sink our (Rook) CV. They came in one at a time, sometimes two. I manned a 5" dual turret on the CV. When it was all said and done, I had 21 kills and I'm certainly no great-shakes as a gunner. God only knows how many went down to the other gunners and aircraft, probably well over one hundred. For the record, they never sank that CV. They did, however, lose their own CV and the base we were attacking. They were clearly having trouble getting organized that day. However, each country has the same problem.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2002, 12:22:21 PM »
Why do people assume everyone that hits the ground is on a kamakazi mission?

Of course I'll auger just so I can get up and get a new drink, but there's no chance the people that hit the ground had intended to live?

Or do you mean if there's a good chance they're going to die, they shouldn't try?  That cuts out pretty much all dogfighting sorties too.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2002, 12:49:08 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty
Why do people assume everyone that hits the ground is on a kamakazi mission?

Just for the record... any time I hit the ground, I was on a kamikazi mission.  I'm not lame enough to auger unintentionally or anything like that.  :D

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2002, 01:29:03 PM »
Fatty,

I didn’t assume anything.  Someone who wants to live from a air to ground attack does not come in one at a time, level at around 6-7K, drop in from the outside of the field into the center, with an exit route taking you further into enemy territory.

As far as not trying if they’re going to die, come on man.  You fishing with sour bait.  Attacking air to ground on an untouched airfield will always come with a good chance to die.  Most though try and eliminate as many of those chances as possible.  For example, diving in the center of the field to the outside, with enough altitude to drop and escape.  Then the only worry is someone dropping in behind you.  Maybe a lucky AA hit but for the most part drop and escape.

When the first 10 or so aircraft that come into the area dirt dart to the field, one by one, you wouldn’t call that a Kamikaze mission?  If your saying that it is just a lack of skill and/or training on the part of your countrymen, you said it not I ;).

I only made the conclusion that this must have been planned because of its obvious affect.  If your saying that it wasn’t and it was just coincidence I’m not sure how to take that.  It gives a lot of weight to the mass attack of Chihuahuas taking a bit of skin as they pass by.

Trying to pass your bad flying off as needing a drink is a new one.  Must be drinking kind of heavy to fly 20 miles to auger at an enemy base.  Of course from your response here I can only assume that either 1) you were responsible for the mission, 2) you knew who was responsible for the mission, or 3) you weren’t even there to see it and have no idea what your talking about.

It appeared to me to be organized but I’m getting the impression from the responses so far that it wasn’t.

I’m not bagging on people who dirt dart from a JABO, happens all the time.  In fact I’m not bagging on anyone.  I just wanted to know who organized it if it was at all.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2002, 03:38:54 PM »
I'll take on a full airfield of ack alone from 7k happily, and expect to live every single time.  Sometimes I don't, usually I do.

I only live because of the times I died (and still die) figuring it out.  Same with CV divebombs.

There are so many inexperienced flyers that I've regularly seen 90% of an attacking force (that I was in, no secret mission) auger even when ack is already down, simply because they're inexperienced with planes with higher compressability.  Sit in a vehicle without firing or drive a c47 low and rack up the kills to see how often this occurs.

As for myself, it isn't an issue of flying somewhere with the intention of augering, it's more of where I happen to be when I decide to auger.  Be that for a phone call, drink refill, bathroom trip, whatever strikes my fancy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 03:40:56 PM by Fatty »

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2002, 03:46:08 PM »
btw, yeah I know you didn't post this as a gripe over suiciders, I just got off track a bit from hearing similar complaints too often about cv divebombing (which can be done quite effectively and survived but only after a lot of deaths and listening to people griping about cv divebombing gamers)