Author Topic: Let's agree on the etiquette of kill stealing (or lack thereof)  (Read 509 times)

Offline Ogun

• Copper Member
Widewing has a post about "a common sense scoring system," that goes much into detail about the current AH scoring system, but my intention is to see if we can come to some kind of agreement on the rules of engagement (not that there are any; you wanna steal kills you will)

Ok, I've done no rehearsal here just going to put it out there.  

How would one tell the difference between a countryman chasing down an enemy to kill it (along with five others) with the pure intent of racking up a kill from the other guys' labor vs. somebody who just wanted to help make sure the enemy was dead?

I have become very careful in this area and it's actually starting to hurt me.

Ex. I see a countryman get a few pings on some nme fiter and that fiter starts smoking and I go ahead and keep my distance as to avoid interfering with his kill.  Next thing I know, smoking fiter is on my six pinging me.  I hate this situation; it has become so difficult.

What would you do?

Currently, my only exception is bombers.  I don't care how much they are smoking or how many countrymen are on them, I join if I feel that one of my country's targets is at risk.  I will endure any cursing for steal killing as long as I know the bomber is dead.

But fiters seems so much more tricky.  Advice?  Can we come to some agreement on what the perception will be in the ma?  I will clarify anything that's cloudy here.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Let's agree on the etiquette of kill stealing (or lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 03:15:21 PM »
There is a better idea. Check a thread named "My policy on check-6 calls" or something like that.

Basically the idea is that anyone stealing a kill that you feel was yours must be punished.

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 03:16:32 PM »
As long as it (enemy plane) is flying it is fair game.

If someone shot it and it is flopping/spiraling downwards, it isn't.

Pretty easy :)

Broes

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Well...
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 03:22:04 PM »
Once fatal damage is done, the kill should be scored then, NOT wait til it hits ground or pilot ejects.

That would solve the whole problem

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 03:24:12 PM »
agree with broes... but... even then, I have shot at a plane that I thought was flying fine but as I lit it up I seen it had no tailfeathers...

Main thing is... the way kills are awarded right now is the best comprimise.   Some people will allways "steal" kills out of mistaken identity, desperation, over reacting or just plain selfishness.... we can't stop that.   What we got works pretty well.

with my up to 50% assists and my squaddies cruel and insensitive policy of "steal lazs's kills at all costs" ..... I wouldn't mind seeing say.... 1/3 kill awarded for a sist.
lazs

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 03:51:46 PM »
Yeah, like Broes said.  Additionally, if you see the plane is fluttering toward the ground and need to see something blow up, just circle and wait for him to bail.  This way, you may even get to see the pilot blow up twice - Once in front of your windscreen as you strafe his chute, and then once more on the text buffer!  :D

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 04:03:34 PM »
And there are 4000 AH players out there that don't read this board so its not like an agreement here will mean anything.

I just use my best judgement as to whether or not a friendly needs help.  If somebody comes to help me when I don't really need it:  That's cool.  It's much better than not getting help when I do need it.

Hooligan

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2002, 04:06:26 PM »
Just shrug it off, do you really care that some yahoo shot at your kill?  Is it worth the enrgy you will spend getting upset? happens to me all the time, i just go shoot down more.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2002, 04:15:16 PM »
I try not to 'steal kills.'  But what you saw and what I saw are two different things.   In additon to that, there's what actually happened......

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2002, 04:27:28 PM »
I'll shoot at anything that stands a chance of landing.

Botabing;
It won't work.
Imagine that you spawn on the runway, start your engine and then I vulch your wing off.  Should I get a kill for this?  You are not wounded, sitting on your own runway in a busted plane, ready to end the "flight", yet your death (or my kill) has already been awarded to me....?  Now THAT would really suck!

A kill should only be awarded when a pilot: dies, bails or is captured.  As it is now.

eskimo

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.3-jg2.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2002, 04:32:14 PM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It won't work.
Imagine that you spawn on the runway, start your engine and then I vulch your wing off. Should I get a kill for this? You are not wounded, sitting on your own runway in a busted plane, ready to end the "flight", yet your death (or my kill) has already been awarded to me....? Now THAT would really suck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a feild is at the point where if you up, you will be vulched, then why up? What good will upping 1 plane against 10+ enemy's fighters do? They have the E Advantage, Alt advantage, and every other  advantage there is. Sure, if you kill the goon, you will save the field....for another 3 mins at least...:rolleyes:

BotaBing's idea is a good idea
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 04:35:19 PM by Heinkel »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2002, 04:32:45 PM »
Unless its blowing serious smoke and diving earthward its fair freakin game. I have flown by too many fluttering enemy only to find out the guy is jinking like a (.....my metophor muscle is sore...) jinky thing.

Offline Chanter

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2002, 04:34:30 PM »
It doesn't matter so much to me about getting a kill.  I fly BnZ pretty much exclusively and rarely get my F4U below 300, which doesn't leave a lot of time on target.  If I haven't killed him in my first pass and am in a crowded area, I'll convert back into alt and leave the wounded plane to his own devices.
1841 Fleet Air Arm

Offline Kuben

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2002, 05:07:12 PM »
IMO, if it's an enemy and it's still airborne it's totally fair game.
I personally have never yelled at anybody for "kill stealing".  If you're good (not implying that I am) the enemy won't last long and you'll get the kill anyway.

I have been reluctant at times to dive in and "help" somebody so I loiter above waiting/watching the dogfight when the tables quickly turn and the guy I was letting get the kill is shot down.  About this time I usually get a message asking if I paid for those excellent seats and why the hell didn't I help out...

Phewy on that.

This isn't a Kung Foo movie where 100 bad guys wait their turn to attack Bruce Lee and when they finally get their turn they are beaten badly.  Air combat is not a fair fight.  If it ain't friendly and it's still flying, shoot it down, I don't care who you are, kill it!

Kuben

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2002, 05:08:27 PM »
well....  that doesn't seem like a very fun way to fly an F4U.    
lazs