Author Topic: The much underrated P51.  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2000, 12:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
"less skilled people are more likely to fly famous P-51 than FW190A5."

ROFL FISHU!!!!

"Cadillac of the skies", doesn't that tell many newbies what plane is that what they want to stick in.. plane that sounds the best?
Alot posters and stuff wrote of it... kinda makes newbies go for it. (and die in it as they think its sooo uber)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2000, 12:57:00 PM »
Fishu.. it is the use of the phrase "less skilled people".  Newbies may be a better term.

Skill level has nothing to do with it... there are plenty of "less skilled people" that fly all aircraft in the arena.  These are the people that account for a large percentage of deaths in planes like the 190, 109s and p51  Have you ever wondered why it was really easy to kill some pilots but really hard to kill others (in the same type of plane)?

The p51 is popular because it is a cool plane that Americans are familiar with.  The F4u falls into the same category.  Its pretty much as simple as that.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2000, 01:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Fishu.. it is the use of the phrase "less skilled people".  Newbies may be a better term.

Yes I admit, I did figure that out today as I were reading.. and like I said on more recent post..
Think I posted that at 5am, at the time I found something wrong with 'newbies' instead finding something wrong with 'less skilled'

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2000, 09:46:00 PM »
jez guys...

I fly the P-51D. I like the P-51D.
Other people Fly 109s. They like 109s
Other people Fly 190s. They like 190s

Why do we have to bash peoples prefered plane? What the hell is this thread going to achieve? More hatred for people based on the planes they choose to fly? This is OLD.

If you *geniunly* believe a plane is 'too uber' then tell HTC with *facts* to back it up and a repeatedable process to regenerate your findings. Let them decide, its their game. You have a choice to pay them for the merits of the game or let them go bust for a shoddy product.

PS Ram, i realise you werent bashing the P51 as the original reason for this thread.

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 08-31-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2000, 12:57:00 AM »
IMO, P 51D is among the best AH planes. Its qualities are well known and numerous. And it even looks good. Along with nice historical record. It is very easy to understand why American players (and others too) like it. Flown to its strengths it can rack up impressive record.

IMO, C-Hog would be even better in AH, if without that 6 view. Of course, if flown to its strengths. I can understand Americans like it because of its historical record, but it sure ain't pretty. Correction though, it was D-Hog who had great historical record, C-Hog's was marginal  . IMO, the pilots that fly D-Hog are true enthusiasts who should really be congratulated for their dedication to the plane. They turned down a cannon crutch and are investing in skill to fly the plane they admire. Salute !

A dedicated LW type has to choose between 2 planes, of which only 3 subtypes are really competitive. Me 109G-10, Fw 190A-5 and Fw 190A-8. Success in other subtypes (109s) relies heavily on pilot ability, IMO.

However, all LW planes can be reasonably successfull in AH. Some easier, some harder than others. If you die, you probably died because of your own mistake. Don't blame your plane or plane that enemy flew. If C-Hog shot you, you probably gave him that tiny firing window which is enough for him to disintegrate your plane. If a P 51D or D-Hog shot you, you made a bigger mistake for sure.

After one month of AH apstinence and from this perspective, my opinion is that a pilot can be successfull in any AH plane he choses to fly (with only few notable exceptions). He just has to learn the plane but also himself.

Some planes are easier than others, some are real challenge to do well in. It is up to you.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2000, 01:01:00 AM »
... I dont know what i'm doing posting into that kind of nonsense thread, anyway, having a bit of experience with G10, A5 and P51, my conclusions are:
1 - P51 is the best overal fighter unless in a closed 1 vs 1 engangement.
2 - G10 3x20 is a very capable plane, close to the P51.
3 - A5 is a dogfighter, with very limited capability against buffs. So, with little value as a platform capable of interfering into well mounted offensives.

In a 1 vs 1 engangement, my experience sais that G10 3x20 can eat any P51 (if P51 doesnt decide to flee away for 50 miles) or A5, and that a well driven P51 with some alt to play with can win any dogfight with an A5. Anyway, A5 is a very dangerous opponent at close quarters.

A side note: I'm up to the balls of my "destierro" at Rio, haven't been able to fly in the last three weeks, so, I dont remember very well what an A5 is ...  

[This message has been edited by MANDOBLE (edited 09-02-2000).]

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2000, 09:45:00 AM »
RAM;

Does mean you are still not having fun in AH or as some of the fun re-appeared?

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"hehehe...I like this thread squealing Bastids!"
SOB

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2000, 10:19:00 AM »

Originally posted by Minotaur:
RAM;

Does mean you are still not having fun in AH or as some of the fun re-appeared?

Think in the kind of boredom I must have to experience to change planes and fly a P51D.

If that answers your question...

To be true last 2 days have been much better. To have people that want to wing and learn with you is much more fun than to ride alone. So well, now it is much better than before thanks of the time I am spending in Erg/Jg26  

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
The much underrated P51.
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2000, 12:03:00 AM »
Just spent a few hours toolin around in a pony.

Damn nice airplane.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.