Author Topic: Stick stirring  (Read 937 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Stick stirring
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2000, 12:04:00 PM »
A 2-3 second warp is not the result of stick stirring.  It is the result of a momentary loss of connection.  The smoothing code causes the plane to keep going in the direction/acceleration it was heading before it stopped receiving its packets.  The warp comes when the packets start arriving again.

Right now you should see this in planes beyond X range.  The server does not send your FE updates on these planes as fast as planes that are closer.

After a while... you get the hang of what is normal and what is not.  The net is not a twisted pair network... it can't always keep up.  Once broadband is here.. things may change. Until then.. we deal with it.

AKDejaVu

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2000, 12:24:00 PM »
AKDejaVu;

CC and thanks!  

I do however see this at close ranges as well, upon occasion.  Say d400 or less.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"So what do you post here? Poetic love letters?"
Ram

Hazed

Stick stirring
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
i put warps down to servers and connecions and prefer to think its not induced by a 'cheat' until i read this i didnt know what stirring was...lets keep it that way..the more its talked about surely the more people will try it.
i beleive in sportsmanship..if i cant win honestly im not winning at all. Stop describing how to 'cheat' and we may not see it too often  
hazed

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2000, 07:00:00 AM »
Just curious, but in Warbirds it turned out the the stick stirring problem was related to red and blackouts.

If you violently move the stick around trying to evade it did not cause the little micro warps or flea jumping of the plane unless you did a quick red out or black out.

I only know this because a few of us did several experiments to prove this out. What you do is go to an arena, training arena is best, and then one plane becomes the target and stick stirrer while the other follow D3 or less. Every time you see the target plane jump you determine exactly what the pilot was doing and what he saw. That is how we found the redout/blackout problem.

I believe this have now been fixed in the other Sim but perhaps this is what you are seeing in AH as well? Try it out, it will only take a few minutes to experiment.

Ram1

-lazs-

Stick stirring
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2000, 09:12:00 AM »
LOL... now watch how many LW guys claim it doesn't exist, followed by "all planes can do it" (when they are finally beaten into admitting it) and "turn is not important"... Oops... strike that last... right sim...different thread.
lazs

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Stick stirring
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2000, 12:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
A 2-3 second warp is not the result of stick stirring.  It is the result of a momentary loss of connection.  The smoothing code causes the plane to keep going in the direction/acceleration it was heading before it stopped receiving its packets.  The warp comes when the packets start arriving again.

Right now you should see this in planes beyond X range.  The server does not send your FE updates on these planes as fast as planes that are closer.

After a while... you get the hang of what is normal and what is not.  The net is not a twisted pair network... it can't always keep up.  Once broadband is here.. things may change. Until then.. we deal with it.

AKDejaVu

Keep in mind that cross-controling with full rudder WILL make a plane fly this way. Well except bombers.

- Jig

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »

Originally posted by -lazs-:
LOL... now watch how many LW guys claim it doesn't exist, followed by "all planes can do it" (when they are finally beaten into admitting it) and "turn is not important"... Oops... strike that last... right sim...different thread.
lazs

Ya know, Lazs, I've been on both sides of the fence, in VF-101 in WB's and recently for 6 months in JG2, and I just don't understand why folks like you draw lines in the sand and put LW on that side and yourself on this side of the line..its degradating to the community.  Heck, we're all some sort of A/C fans, only difference may be that your Grandfather gave you a model of an F4U when you were a kid, and someone like Maik might have got a FW190 model when he was a kid...Just my opinion.  Had to vent.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 07-10-2000).]

lazs

Stick stirring
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
rip... allthough I am impressed with your new found sensitivity, your "poor unfairly malighned LW pilot" act doesn't ring true to me.

If you have a sim where climb, roll, speed and cannon are the most important features  plus, roll rate for some planes is "just over the edge" where it is capable of being the only plane that can reliably warp roll and then ... you trivialize turn rates by blurring them in most cases and outright changing the coparitive rates  plus, damage models are such that AP rounds are not given their full value...  Then, I would say that even though some planes have an unfair and biased advantage.... It is the fault of the sim and has nothing to do with the pilots.

but... if the guys that fly the planes with the unfair advantage won't admit to it or try to defend their unfair advantage or trivialize it... Then it isn't just the sim that is at fault.

As for the LW guys... I've known a lot of em and they fly em for different reasons.  90% are great guys who just fly whatever their handed and make the most of it.   Some... have read too many LW romance novels or entered into too many head butting contests or... are just plain dishonest, sissy, wife beating, sneaks with  phony bad bellybutton persona's .  They also tend to brag that they are the best or that the biased sim proves that LW planes and pilots are the best.   I have no problem with the first group but I take issue with the last group(s).

but then.... maybe it's just me.
lazs