Author Topic: Corsair Comparisions  (Read 373 times)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Corsair Comparisions
« on: June 27, 2002, 09:48:26 AM »
Is it me or the aircraft?

The Hog-4 seems to compress more easily than the Delta in a dive, while the Hog C seems to be a more stable platform overall than the D or 4. I don't fly the 1 too much anymore, but it seems to yaw more easily than the others.

Also, I'm really looking for some hog pilots to get some more training in with me. I've been AWOL much of the summer, and I need a refresher, bigtime!

Any thoughts?

Gainsie

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Corsair Comparisions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 03:40:17 PM »
I Almost exclusively fly the D and am lousy in it but willing to help..with luck maybe I will get better...after all theres no where else to go but up from here :)
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Corsair Comparisions
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 03:55:21 PM »
I've been flying the F4U-1 a lot recently and haven't discovered the secret to actual "phone-booth knife fights" yet.  I have learned to avoid the dogfight and pick my target well and jump him.  But get most late-war European aircraft behind me with more E and I'm dead.   I hear Lazs is very good with the Hog but I have a feeling he won't reveal secrets.  MAG-33 probably knows what they are doing with the Corsairs and you should probably look them up.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Corsair Comparisions
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 04:29:48 PM »
The -1 hog has a much bigger gas tank...once you get down under 25% it'll really pick up as a "knife-fighter"...of course dont get carried away :). The hog turns very well at higher speed...alot of times you can "outturn" a nimbler fighter (spit9,nikki etc) at higher speed (290-320 or so). As the turn tightens extend up and/or out to maintain your energy. Additionally the hog has outstanding rudder authority and you can combine it with the superior role rate to "out turn" enemies using the vertical. The hogs kind of like the jug...proper use of E, flaps and good ACM really make a differance.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline 4343

• Zinc Member
corsair training
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2002, 10:46:36 PM »
hunt me down sometime if u wanna training buddy...i've always wanted to learn the hog, it's really versatile with the rockets and bombs and 6 50 calibers, u can do some real damage.  the roll rate is good, and it turns good at high speed...i just can't keep mine up to that...

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Corsair Comparisions
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2002, 10:10:59 AM »
Yeah I fly the hog pretty much exclusively, and it's all about feel.. I never characterize the hog as a knife fighter, it's more effective getting the enemy to bleed E relative to you. I do fly with MAG-33, but have been AWOL a lot lately. I don't fl;y the  Hog-1 despite its 40 ENY rating...I like to land every sortie, and I can't run or disengage with the hog-1 like I can in the Charloe, Delta, or -4..look me up on Bishops inthe MA.

gainsie

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Corsair Comparisions
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2002, 12:24:15 AM »
The hog can turn with anything at higher speeds.  It also has one rather fun trick, the landing gear can be deployed up to about 400mph, acting as a speed brake.  The corsair tends to retain E pretty well, but if you drop your gear, and slam the rudder to one side, you can slow down unbelievably fast.  Conversly, if you're on an f4u's six, and you see the gear go down, you better be slowing down fast.

The f4u-1 is faster than the C or D(which i believe in AH have roughly identical performance)  The D climbs better though.  The f4u-1 seems somewhat more stable at low speeds, although the D seems to be able to turn just a little bit tighter.  F4U-1 is an excellent perk-getting plane.

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Corsair Comparisions
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2002, 01:40:16 AM »
The f4u-1 seems somewhat more stable at low speeds

I have to disagree.  The F4U-1 likes to snap roll you every chance it gets and I think this is historically correct because the Corsairs that come after have some type of device installed on one of the wings to help prevent this.  

The F4U-1 just looks the coolest with the 3-tone paint scheme remeniscent of 1943.