Author Topic: aces high may not last long  (Read 1261 times)

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
aces high may not last long
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2002, 02:36:09 AM »
AH Graphics is fine... ofcourse it could be better..

I am a spy!

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2002, 02:45:09 AM »
This is AH ? I seriosuly doubt it, never seen a lense flare in AH. You showing us an edited screenshot, eh ?

DL WarbirdsIII. Take the P47D in the external view. Roll the plane and watch the reflections and shading. Same with P51D. Then take P47C - watch the textures. Then 109K and 109G-6. Then Ki84 and Ki43. They are just beautiful. Not even Il-2 is close.

Now if only they had shadows.

AH cockpits are crying for reworking. Il-2 has followed the landmark set by Jane's WW2 Fighters  (too) long ago.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2002, 02:48:20 AM by Hristo »

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2002, 02:51:36 AM »
Yep.. it is edited but it sure is from AH. :D  BUT I only added lensflare and some lightning effects.
I am a spy!

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2002, 02:57:03 AM »
Yup, default shading looks a bit flatter ;).

How about sun effect. Anyone compared it to Il-2 sun effect ?

I repeat, if you are curious about how superior plane graphics look, take p47/p51d of WBIII in external view.

P.S.
Isn't the placement of the lense flare illogical ? I mean, it should come from bright light sources, but the shading suggests that light comes from behind the camera. Just being a nitpick ;).

Anyone seen lens flares in Battlezone, 4 yrs ago ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2002, 03:02:09 AM by Hristo »

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2002, 03:05:50 AM »
Yes. It is illogical but most people dont understand it. :D
I am a spy!

Offline Mushkin1uk

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2002, 03:15:16 AM »
The thing with custom skins is that you would either not see it as what the person who done the skin wants you too see it, or like some one said earlier when ever you log on you would have to download all the skins to your computer that are being used in the arena. I used to fly CFS and if some one had a Plane you didnt have or had changed the skin, then they were flying a B17, or thats what it looked like.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2002, 03:19:09 AM »
Does WB look like this???

NON EDITED AH!!!
I can't wait till we can do skins:)

NUTTZ

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2002, 03:22:39 AM »
NUTTZ, WBIII planes look better than AH Ki61. I am at work now, so I can't go snap some screenshots. Just go and download WBIII and then compare. Compare the shiny Ki61 of AH to the shiny P51 or Ki84 in WBIII.

As for terrain, it looks nice. But it is just a flat texture. Il-2 terrain has it beat, IMO.

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2002, 03:29:42 AM »
Originally posted by Hristo
As for terrain, it looks nice. But it is just a flat texture. Il-2 terrain has it beat, IMO.

As for shiny planes... The ones in WB3 are sometimes shiny way too much... As for terrain please keep in mind that AH is 30MB download and Il-2 is 650MB CD stuff... So lets say that basic engine of Il-2 has also lets say 20MB (which I doubt) so they have 620MB of space for shiny graphics, sounds etc... go figure yourself...

For the record:

AH is still No. 1 for me and no other online sim comes even close to it so far. IL-2 is not a masive multiplayer game. WB's graphics maybe looks better (WB3) but its FM is total BS. WW2OL ehm... all planes there are even worse UFOs than NIK has been before modification :)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2002, 03:57:38 AM »
Size doesn't matter (tm) ;).

Seriously, I'd DL even 300 MBs with my 56k if it offers me great graphics.

Otherwise, AH graphics has still glitches. Hit sprites - visible ar any distance no matter of round type that causes them. How about clipping ? You still see hit sprites through the instrument panes.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2002, 04:07:27 AM »
No offense, but your comparing the planes of AH with the planes of WB and the terrain textures of AH with the terrain of IL-2. Are we comparing all 3?

NUTTZ

NUTTZ, WBIII planes look better than AH Ki61. I am at work now, so I can't go snap some screenshots. Just go and download WBIII and then compare. Compare the shiny Ki61 of AH to the shiny P51 or Ki84 in WBIII.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2002, 04:27:57 AM »
well why not ? all to the benefit of the player ;)

Terrain in Il-2 really adds something. The feeling of speed when you fly 500 kph at 15 meters height - something that is missing in AH. Even WB lack this.

Right now you can fly at sea level with 500 mph in a 262 and yet  it looks little different than driving in your car. Is it a view angle, ground objects or textures - I don't know. I've always imagined flying at this speeds that low as something that makes your heart pump ;).

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2002, 08:31:06 AM »

Seriously, I'd DL even 300 MBs with my 56k if it offers me great graphics.

Otherwise, AH graphics has still glitches. Hit sprites - visible ar any distance no matter of round type that causes them. How about clipping ? You still see hit sprites through the instrument panes.

Nope, I'm on the opposite side of this one.  WB made a huge error, IMHO, (but one common in the game industry) of putting a massive amount of time and effort into appearance of the planes before attending to basic game-play issues--i.e. what you would be able to do with those planes.

I really appreciated the craft that went into the WB planes, and the realistic cockpits in particular are something that I miss (although, the full 3D make-up of the AH planes actually feels better to me; when I'm flying in a JU88, it feels like I'm sitting in a glass house, whereas in WB it just feels as if I'm sitting in the middle of some great art work), and IL2 as well (although bringing that into the MMOG conversation is like comparing apples and oranges).  But AH is where it's at for me because of their level of attention to the combat environment.

But WB is still trading on the idea that they have the best-looking sim around (although I've heard that Fighter Ace has them beat on that score, but it depends on who you talk to).  They don't seem to realize that there is a lot more to simming than how good the graphics are, and that astounding graphics are never going to make up for crappy gameplay (and that, by the way is why IL2 is so good, not because of its graphics, but because the graphics are married to some great flight models, a lovingly detailed historical environment, and some pretty good gameplay).

Offline Mushkin1uk

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2002, 08:45:33 AM »
I honestly think that AH graphics are Excellent better than any other sim(havent seen WB3) I have seen, I mean even down to little things like moving control surfaces, Decent looking moving prop even the dam undercarage moves up and down(semi realisticly).

IMHO   ;)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2002, 08:49:52 AM »
Yup, you put it great in your last sentence. Il-2 managed to round it all pretty good (except for the online part).

Please make no mistakes, I don't consider WBIII a better game than AH (otherwise I wouldn't be here). Not in FMs, not in other features - geez, they fired a guy who coded droptanks and they still have the same old 1 fuel tank system !

I only consider the WBIII plane graphics better than AH graphics - and by a lot. Try the shiny planes in WBIII.

As for view systems, head positioning etc - AH beats WBIII.

Face it, AH is not the best game in everything. It might be best overall online sim, but it has its problems. Graphics being on top of my list. All the question of priorities it seems.