Author Topic: Open letter for HTC.  (Read 1202 times)

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Open letter for HTC.
« on: September 04, 2000, 07:23:00 AM »

Greetings and salute, HTC development team.

I am writing this letter to make you see my points of view about the new Combat Trim feature incoming in V1.04. It is a feature that worries me a lot, in the sense that it will be a true easy mode (EZmode) for the pilots that use it.

I have stated a lot of times in your webpage's BBS how much do I dislike this feature. I have stated, too,that if any means of EZmode are included in the main arena, mixing that way EZmode with REalistic one, I will leave Aces High.

I am not the only one who thinks that EZmode it is bad for AH. Read the BBS of your page and you will realize that there is a lot of momentum against this feature, and very few true support for it. Some people say that they will hold their opinion until they test it, that means, in truth, that they dislike the feature but trusts you in the way of implementing it.

I'm not the one who doesnt trust you and your work. I love Aces High, a sim that only can be the product of a love project, and I know that only VERY capable people can make AH possible. Still I dont see how a feature that keeps your plane trimmed in all the flight envelope can be implemented in something near "realistic" ways. I will stay to test 1.04. But I'm scared, I think that it will be what I fear, a true EZmode.

Please ,you see that the customer base doesnt like the idea. Aces High was programmed as a hardcome simulator, one that features the most realistic FMs in the market. Please PLEASE stay in that way. Some concessions have to be made for playability, I agree, but that concessions can be more or less "acceptable" (autotrims in angle, speed and level, Autotakeoff, Better buff guns, padlock, etc). There are other concessions that change the basis of this simulator, EZtrim is just that. A Me109G10 MUST be a unstable plane, a very unstable one. To give a pilot the chance to engage a trim mode that keeps the 109 stable during all its envelope, sorry, but it is unnaceptable for me.

Planes in WWII were different between them. But the differences between them weren't only in performance, and/or maneouverability. Some planes were more stable than others, and that is a BASSIC PART of the simulation. If you bring EZtrim here that part of the simulation (a BIG part of it) will be erased from one day to another.

Please take this letter as a support one, not a critic one. I wish stronger than anyone that Aces High goes ahead as good as always, I LOVE this simulator. I beg you that you left trims as they are, no EZmode. There is a wonderful training corps in Aces High, and I am raising a squad that will help and train newbies in Main Arena. The community always is willing to help new people ,there is no need to implement a feature that will piss off half the community.

If you still do it, means that, or you really think it is neccesary for Aces High, or that the decision isn't in your hands (private money went into AH not so long ago, I know it). In the first case I can tell you that I feel the measure is a wrong one. If it is the second, I remember Pyro stating that to be part of a successful simulator in an unssucessfull company sux. State your own decisions, not the other's. This simulator is yours, and you only know to make it work.

Said that, the only thing I can say is that I thank you for all and every minute of joy that AH has given me. It has been my best time in front of a computer of my life, and ,as someone stated in the BBS, nobody can steal that from me.

Salute HTC.! And good luck in the future, whatever your decision is.

Regards:

Javier "RAM" Bringas
Bilbao, Spain.
C.O. Erg/Jg-26
Aces High

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2000, 07:30:00 AM »
See anti RAM crowd.

RAM *is* a nice intelligent guy who can put forward his opinions in a non provoking way (for a Spaniard).

Ive' got some worries about CT as well, but I've voiced them in another thread and will not repeat myself. I trust the people at HTC; this far I've been skeptical of all updates and found myself througoutly enjoying them. So I am skeptical about my skepticism (a true skeptic, lol).

I'll wait and see, but I do share some of RAM's worries, all be it in a lesser degree.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
All we can do is vote with our cc-cards...

HTC dont seem to get new players in fast enough and we get to pay for it, we are getting yet an even more fantasy arena then we got now.

I say 1 arena for easy mode 1 arena for full realism.

And why on earth call it Combat trim instead of easy mode? lol!

Regards.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2000, 08:09:00 AM »
Dr. Strangelove

or

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Combat Trim

What difference does it make?

Sun will surely rise morning after 1.04, girls will be pretty as ever and world is full of nice things to do and experience for a young man like me.

Really, what difference does it make?

------------------
jochen
Jagdflieger JG 2 'Richthofen' Aces High
Geschwaderkommodore (on leave) Jagdgeschwader 2 'Richthofen'  Warbirds

Kids today! Why can't they fetishize Fascist military hardware like normal people?

Ladysmith wants you forthwith to come to her relief
Burn your briefs you leave for France tonight
Carefully cut the straps of the booby-traps and set the captives free
But don't shoot 'til you see her big blue eyes

[This message has been edited by Jochen (edited 09-04-2000).]
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »
Very well written RAM ! <S>!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2000, 08:16:00 AM »
Now I've seen everything... and can die happy.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
I was just getting ready to tell RAM to "quit taking every reletive post so personally" when i read this

wtg RAM
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline garrido

• Zinc Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
Por favor RAM, traduce  

Soy piloto que ama el BF109, mal piloto si, pero aun asi no quiero nada que favorezca el manejo del 109 o de otro avión, quiero que se parezca lo mas posible al avion real en su comportamiento.
Prefiero aprender siendo derribado o que alguien me enseñe a llevar un 109 a volar un avion dificil como si fuese un zeke.
esa es mi opinión.

gracias (gracias RAM)

Supong

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2000, 09:52:00 AM »
<S> RAM,

sharing ur concerns too.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!

Make sure HTC get's it.

Maik
<JG54 Gruenherz>

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2000, 10:17:00 AM »

Originally posted by garrido:
Por favor RAM, traduce    

Soy piloto que ama el BF109, mal piloto si, pero aun asi no quiero nada que favorezca el manejo del 109 o de otro avión, quiero que se parezca lo mas posible al avion real en su comportamiento.
Prefiero aprender siendo derribado o que alguien me enseñe a llevar un 109 a volar un avion dificil como si fuese un zeke.
esa es mi opinión.

gracias (gracias RAM)

Supong

------------------------------------------
Please RAM, translate  

I am a pilot who loves the Bf109, not a very good one thats true; still I dont want anything that improves the handling of the 109 or that of any other plane, I want them to handle as close as the real ones as possible.
I'd rather want to learn being downed, or that someone teaches me to ride a 109,than flying a difficult plane like it was a Zeke.

that is my opinion.
Thank you.

Supong
------------------------------------------

<S!> Supong. You are a good 109 driver, dont be so humble!  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-04-2000).]

Offline DR00

• Zinc Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2000, 10:41:00 AM »
Well put RAM <S>
I for one, trust that HT and crew are very aware of what game "improvements" did for that other sim. I also trust these guys when they say they that their product is for SERIOUS simmers.
I'm sure it's a squeak trying to juggle all the different considerations that rear their head when one wants to improve the "experience". Especially when expectaions differ among the users.
With people like RAM intelligently placing their concerns before HTC in this forum, I doubt we are going to get my favorite line from Animal House as a response ("You f--ked-up, you trusted us

Renfield

Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2000, 10:44:00 AM »
The way HT explained it, Combat Trim won't be like WB's "EZ Mode". Aircraft performance won't be enhanced over a properly trimmed plane.

However, a properly-trimmed plane is still a significant advantage and I doubt that anyone will fly using manual trim once CT is introduced.

I prefer manual trim and the advantage one gets by paying attention to proper trim. To make that automatic will reduce the appeal of AH to me.

I am all for helping the newbies get up to speed and keeping fresh players coming into the sim but think that Combat Trim would best be implemented by making it a feature that times out  - either by time similar to the two week trial, or by pilot skill via getting x number of kills.

Combat Trim may help bring new people in, but I think it will also help to push old hands out if blanket implemented. I hate to say it, but if it is too much of an advantage and in practice is not unlike the WB EZ-Mode, then I too will be a dot.

I'll give it a chance though.

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2000, 10:49:00 AM »
hossa RAM,
for an 190 jockey, you said right!

no EZmode in AH pls

habicht
XO jg54"Gruenherz"

Offline metronom

• Copper Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2000, 10:49:00 AM »
Yes RAM you right.
I'm a normal Pilot who's giving his best in the MA. I like the unstability of the 109, the torque of the Typhoon at start, the constant watch on the speed indicator in the 190 etc...Sometimes its not easy, but I enjoy it. I like the feelin of satisfaction after a good flight and fight.It's not needed to be the Winner (isn't bad either :-)) I like the competition. With a easy mode its gone.
A hardcore sim, fair and hard competition without whining, that are my goals.

Metronom flying as Sailor

Offline Lucchini

• Zinc Member
Open letter for HTC.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
I totally agree with you Ram!
From the first to the last word

Ciao

Lucchini