Author Topic: Another point for the no "God" crowd  (Read 2377 times)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Another point for the no "God" crowd
« on: July 16, 2002, 11:50:40 PM »
I just heard in my local news today that a sophomore at my high school alma mater has filed a federal lawsuit against the principal and the board of education here because "God" is in the Code of Honor.  This code dates back to the 1920's... the school began in the 1800's.  Countless generations have gone through McKinley High's halls without complaint.. until now.  I myself do not go to church, but it didn't bother me, nor the thousands of others who have graduated from there.  This, added to the removal of the Pledge of Allegiance, is another defining moment of our times.  Geesh isn't there anything else for that kid to worry about???

(venting)
mauser

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 11:55:15 PM »
Is your alma mater in Hawaii?

If it is... I like the irony.

EDIT: This story is seven months old. http://www.lava.net/~hcssc/mckinley.html... and AFAIK, McKinley is in Hawaii... (Gotta love Google). :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 11:58:04 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 12:01:49 AM »
Yep Sandman, that's the place.  I didn't know about that attempt in 2001 by a teacher.  This time it's a student (heard just an hour ago in the evening news).  Still... yeah, you'd think a place like this would be relatively free of such things.. but ppl can surprise you!

mauser

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 12:09:21 AM »
Doh... two different stories, same school.

Still... kinda funny. American Missionaries and sugar industry all but destroyed Hawaiian culture.

They should have taken this fight up 100 years ago. :)
sand

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 12:44:58 AM »
Ah... that's what you meant by irony.  Yeah, that's true.. the Hawaiians (the more vocal ones usually) are still angry.  There are more ironic things along those lines too, but I'm not gonna get embroiled in that.  Just want these ppl to leave good enough alone.

mauser

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 01:16:02 AM »
People like to dismiss God.  Its very easy to do in our highly advanced (sic) culture.

Funny thing is though, when people see that telephone pole racing towards us at 60 miles per hour we all say the same thing, religious zealots and athiests alike: OH GOD!!!!!!!IM TOO YOUNG TO DIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Its funny really.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 04:06:52 AM »
God is nothing more than ancient mans attempt to explain and understand the world around him. Man made him up, there is no evidence otherwise. People write/interperet/modify religous text. It's all faith. Just think if we went back in time to 2-4000 BC with our current 'technology'. We'd be God's in ancient man's eye's.

Looking back through history, it's these 'faith's' and beliefs that start most conflicts. One man pushing his belief's on another or judging him based on his belief's.

I niether believe or deny God exists, or existed. You are free to believe whatever you wish, just don't expect me to always agree with yours, and I don't expect you to agree with mine.

This stuff about the Pledge of Alligence is pure crap. Wasn't it originally written with out reference to God, untill someone decided it needed to be re-written? Par for the human course through out history.  It's up to the parents to teach children these values anyway, not our public education system. There should be no religion what so ever in government orginizations or public schools. Like I said, it's up to parents to teach individual value's. Could you imagine catering to all religous belief's in schools with our country's 'tolerance for all religions'?

Can't we all just get along? :D

ts

PS Yeager, that's more of a language/culture thing than a belief thing IMO. Personally, I would say "SON OF A squeak!!!!!!! I'M TO YOUNG TO DIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! All though Golly-geemit is one of my favorite sayings hehe.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2002, 04:09:18 AM by tshred »

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 04:26:30 AM »
I niether believe or deny God exists, or existed.

Indeciveness is a sign of weakness.

Offline SC-Sp00k

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 04:59:15 AM »
Originally posted by fdiron

Indeciveness is a sign of weakness.

So is putting a bet on a place in a horse race instead of a win.

:)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 06:08:00 AM »
" when people see that telephone pole racing towards us at 60 miles per hour we all say the same thing, religious zealots and athiests alike: OH GOD!!!!!!!IM TOO YOUNG TO DIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! "

Do we?..how do you know?.

Daff

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 06:45:15 AM »
My high school in Canada was one of the first in the country to get rid of "The Lord's Prayer".In it's place over the PA,our principle would read quotes of famous people of all different races and religion and follow it with a minute's silence so you could say a little prayer to yourself if you so desired.

Keep the "our God" mentality out of "our classrooms".

"You can't run a country by a book of religion
Not by a heap or a lump or a smidgen
Foolish rules of ancient date
Designed to make us all feel great
It's just dumb all over..

It says in the book that God made us to be just like him
So if we're dumb,then God is dumb
And maybe even a little ugly on the side..."

(Chorus)

"Dumb all over
A little ugly on the side(repeats)"

Frank Zappa;"Dumb All Over" from "You Are What You Is"
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2002, 07:42:18 AM »
Originally posted by Daff
" when people see that telephone pole racing towards us at 60 miles per hour we all say the same thing, religious zealots and athiests alike: OH GOD!!!!!!!IM TOO YOUNG TO DIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! "

Do we?..how do you know?.

Daff

Didn't you see it in the movies ? :D

Hey, mauser, is that school public ?aka, does taxpayer's money fund it ?

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2002, 07:54:37 AM »
Sad... now every nutjob with an itch to see his or her face splashed across the news will sue their local school. Sad.

My concern of course is in part on behalf of religion, which is being pushed out of society hand over fist... but also the attack on our culture. We are headed to the place where it will be illegal to even say "God" out loud, for fear someone will be offended and sue you. I can't wait to see what moral values replace the ones being taken out of schools for being so corruptive. :rolleyes:

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2002, 08:07:21 AM »
What do you mean by that kieran?  Only religious people have "acceptable" or "good" morals?
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2002, 08:17:12 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
...we all say the same thing, religious zealots and athiests alike: OH GOD!!!!!!!IM TOO YOUNG TO DIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Wouldn't it be a  bit presumptious on your part to say so? Do you believe that God is misinformed and presume to dispell His ignorance about when you are supposed to die?
 Or do you think He knows that you are about to die but His judgement is unsound  and must be corrected?

If your God is so great and you are about to die, shouldn't you be smiling and thanking him for what whatever life you've had and for what you have coming?

Of course you did not specify what kind of imaginary friend cult you subscribe to. If your God is an incompetent indecisive nincompoop who's actions can be affected by mere mortals and there is no afterlife reward (provided you are a good boy), your before-death statement would make perfect sense.
 But such beliefs about God would be very contrary to main tenets of christianity - which is usually the God which is suposed to be "driven" from our schools and "dismissed" from our culture. Are you talking bout the same One?

miko