Author Topic: Ostwind  (Read 849 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Ostwind
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2000, 01:46:00 PM »
 I believe the electronic proximity fuse on air-air munitions was solely an Allied (U.S.) advantage.
 Not aware of the Axis or Germany having anything as lethal and refined. It saved the tulips of many a sailor in the Pacific war and also off the beach heads in the Italian theatre from what I'd read.

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ostwind
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2000, 02:00:00 PM »
Well, I'm no ammo expert, they did have something  that allowed it to go off at a certain height...so maybe I'm thinking altitude fuse, dunno.  My point is, if you have to hit something directly with this gun, its worthless for AAA role.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Ostwind
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2000, 02:28:00 PM »
Hmmm effective alt 5k (BTW Thanks NATE!)
coupled with 80 rounds per minute.(per data above) AWESOME!

I'm not sure if it will be more effective anti air with flak rounds or not.
True, if you had proximity rounds then you could easily put a hail of shrapnel in front of a diveing Aircraft.

However I believe (could easily be wrong here, Funked? Anyone?) that most Flak used by the germans was altitude fused. If so then I'd rather take my chance of hitting a plane directly.

How long does it take to dive from 5k?
With 4 of those 37MM screaming up at you every 3 seconds it's going to take nerves of steel to attack field targets.

I think either way that it's a given that life just got tougher for the P47 jocks!

As to what it will do to Panzers, field targets or sitting 4k from a field ranged in on the map room waiting for troops. Well, I  can't wait to find out for myself  

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Ostwind
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2000, 02:36:00 PM »
I'd say wait and see, Rip.  It might not be so worthless.  Heck, Panzers are shooting fighters down with the main gun.  It sure will keep the bombers above 15k.  

With the new ack settings allowing effective jabo, I think the Ostwind will be a good addition to the game.  It will allow players to augment the ack, AND give jabo fighters a new target.  

popeye

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
Ostwind
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2000, 02:36:00 PM »
Im curious as to whether they had prox fuses or not.  That would be awesome if it did.  

Nothing question, if it could be altitude set, would it still detonate on contact?

If this has any kind of fuse settings, weeeeeeeeeee!

------------------
Dnil
Maj. 900th Bloody Jaguars
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ostwind
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2000, 02:40:00 PM »
I only have one thing to say:
We need a tank that is not german for historical tank vs tank, yeah, I know , this is a flight sim, but hey!  Tanks are a nice diversion, to drive, and to kill!

T34 !

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Ostwind
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2000, 03:11:00 PM »
Not proximity fuzes, but they did alt fuzes. A proximity fuze requires the projectile be able to emit a electronic pulse such as an active or passive radar (not unlike AIM-7 air AIM-120 missiles).

However an altitude fuze detonates at whatever altitude it was designed to. You guys have seen all that old combat film right? All those flak burst in the air?

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Ostwind
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
The gun is a Flak 43.  It uses the same ammo as the Flak 36 but has a higher rate of fire, 150 - 250 round per minute.  The Germans did not have proximity fuses and fuze setters were used on 88mm and larger AA weapons.  The 37mm AA used a simple impact fuze.  I guess they didn't have any experts around back then to tell them it was impossible to hit at long range and that it would be totally bogus if they ever managed it.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline spora

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.iki.fi/juhave/
Ostwind
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2000, 03:47:00 PM »
-ammo- , sorry to be nitpicking, but as far as I know there were no 'alt' fuses.  What was used were 'timer' fuses - and even those were used only on 75mm, 76mm, 88mm and larger calibres.  Smaller calibres were impact fuses.

And Pyro, nice comment!  It must be impossible to hit a plane from 1000m, 2000m 3000m range - can't be done, so ack must be wrong in AH...   I wonder why every army in WWII shot millions of shells in the air and brought down tens of thousands of planes.  Maybe they knew something we dont :-)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Ostwind
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2000, 03:51:00 PM »
"higher rate of fire, 150 - 250 round per minute."

Yipe!!

When....er....nevermind.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Ostwind
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2000, 03:55:00 PM »
On the Flak 18:

"A highly sensitive fuze was used on the high-explosive projectile.  During one test at a range of 5000 yards it was fired against a metal wing of an airplane.  The projectile, upon entering, made a very small hole and then detonated, tearing out a section of the wing over 8 feet square."

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Missile

• Zinc Member
Ostwind
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2000, 04:24:00 PM »
An 8 foot square hole....

Nice rate of fire and a longer range....

MUST  try this out on MOSS or any other Bishies.

"Incoming fire has the Right of Way."

Missile

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Ostwind
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2000, 04:56:00 PM »
I *really* don't want to get hit by that.

Oh. btw, why does it have that awful desert camo.. wouldnt something like spring or summer be better  

funked

Ostwind
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2000, 09:15:00 PM »
Exposed crew... YUMMY

Luckyone

Ostwind
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2000, 11:30:00 PM »
This is a nice direction for AH to go. These models will be used later on for the train and bridge defence/assult.   I hope.