Author Topic: IL2 and Aces High wouldnt it be good if....  (Read 624 times)

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
IL2 and Aces High wouldnt it be good if....
« on: July 26, 2002, 06:45:57 PM »
Just got IL2 and WOW

Graphics

Detail

Flight model

Now, i dont want to tread on any toes, HT and the guys do a awsome job, and if i had half their programing and 3D design talent i would be a very happy.

But due to obvious net restrictions an Aces High with IL2 detail is a few yars off yet.

But things i liked about IL2 that i think would be great in Aces High, the little things that look cool are.....

Smoke spluttering out of the cowling when the engines start :)

Thos cloudes, ohh thous cloudes :)

cockpit shell blowing out and the guy standing up to bail out when ejecting

smoke coming off the wheels when touching down or traverling over dusty terrain :)

Some fo the sounds such as

An engine that sounds liek its about to blow a piston when its shot up, that rattling knocking sound when the oil leaks out and engine is hit.

MG sounds  wow

The flack blast sound, gee whizzz soudns liek itll rip though the aircraft.

Sorry im just a little in aw of IL2 at the moment :) its a very well made flight sim :)

Ohh cant wait till technolagy allows HT to add this stuff to AH.

Roll on lowest spec PC's are P4 1 gig RAM and Fibre optic internet connection :)  and ill go and invest in a Virtual headset too :D

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 07:37:17 AM »
Il-2 is the best boxed sim period....and better in all respects than aces high except for the flight models......AH wins hands down.  The roll rates in Il-2 are all wrong.  The stall model is way to forgiving...etc....oh and overall feel is way mushey.  Flight models are like night and day and that's why I play AH 90% of the time.

Offline Gnappo

• Zinc Member
      • http://digilander.iol.it/gnappoah/
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 09:01:35 AM »
Only a thing I would want from IL2... THE SKY:

its color, the sun, the clouds, the haze, the fog...

...please give us a realist look for our virtual sky :cool:

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 09:18:08 AM »
I totally agree their needs to be more eye candy but there are those that are struggling even now and they probably account for a major share of HTC's earnings.

obear you can use sound packs made by customers like mitsu to add a lot more to the game and it means HTC hasnt got to go sample the engine sounds etc which again id assume costs a lot of money and time.They have left AH customisable so you can use whatever sound you like, if you can sample the flak sound you like or find a wav file you can use it.
the engine knocking sound would just need htc to programe in a seperate sound file for a damaged engine Id guess triggered off at the same time as the black smoke is rendered.

the start up smoke and wheel dust would be simple to add i think.

Im all for aircraft remaining in the FM after a bail out and spinning to the ground to explode if only because you could then make it have a slight blast effect and do some damage with your burning plane :p

I have a shiney new radeon 8500 which utilises new shading and texture effects that i was astounded to see working in a new motrbike racing game motogp 3. shine effects,motion blur and bumpmapping to name a few. If AH started to use directX8.1 id be very glad now but how many others have these new cards?
my old geforce 2 mx would have seen no benefit from this addition so how many would truelly want too many new graphic effects?

not that I care about them anymore!! mwahahaha :D

BRING ON DX8.1 SPECIAL EFFECTS!!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 09:20:16 AM »
Finally installed IL-2

Neat intro

Get to Main Menu, game is locked (no mouse).

:rolleyes:

Golly, glad I upgraded to play this killer game  ;)

Let me guess, need a patch or two (or three...)

My system
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.667 ghz)
512 mb 2100 DDR ECC RAM
MSI K3T Ultra motherboard
VisionTek GeForce 4 4600
80 GB Maxtor ATA 133 HDD
Windows 2000 Pro
DX 8.1

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 09:52:06 AM »
Did you run Il2setup and pick the appropriate video and sound settings for your hardware?
-SW

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 09:56:54 AM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Did you run Il2setup and pick the appropriate video and sound settings for your hardware?
-SW

Yup, just left it all stock thinking that would suffice.  Will tinker with it some more.

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 11:11:36 AM »
Alt-Tab out, then back in. Sometimes that happens to me if I click on the desktop or taskbar before IL2 loads ... the software cursor gets "detached." Alt-tabbing in and out refreshes it and fixes.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 12:01:04 PM »
The flight models of IL-2, in my opinion, are just as objective as AH. What kind of sources the developer chooses to use naturally affects the game itself, and the level of objectivity is determined by careful cross examination of existing data and picking out the 'right' from the 'wrong'.

If I remember correctly, AH relies mainly on the western data and charts(escpecially the famous NACA flight data), and uses other sources as back up material for cross examination. In the case of IL-2, Oleg chooses the TsAGI data for main material and other data for back-up.

Some of the conclusions Oleg seems to make, I admit, are quite hard to 'swallow' if you have a certain level of trust for the western data on flight performances of WWII planes. One such example is the examination on the roll rates by Soviet data and concluding Bf109 roll rates as "excellent".

But if you take one step back and stop thinking about which is 'absoultely realistic', it's quite interesting see different views on a historical basis. His observations on the 190s, LaGGs, and P-51s which were separately posted on "Oleg's Ready Room"(a room for open questioning and discussions) at the IL-2 main web page was very informative, and his techinical knowledge as a former engineer of the TsAGI give a lot of weight on his assumptions, too.

For the most part, except perhaps the roll-rates of certain planes and the way engine over-heating is modelled, personally I find the planes that are both in AH and IL-2 perform very simular in flight behavior. Especially after version 1.04 where Oleg accepted the credibility of Luftwaffe data and decided to model LW planes according to their performance charts claimed by Germany. Whether this is the result of 'succumbing to popular demand' or a purely technical decision, or perhaps the result of both factors working, is still yet to be debated since Oleg doesn't say much about his reasons behind FM changes. However, the very fact the planes react in simular ways gives credit that both AH and IL-2 arrive at a certain point where two different developers agree on how a plane should perform. This IMO proves that AH and IL-2 are both top-notch in FM modelling and adjustments.

As an AH player who enjoys the potential of IL-2(however, not the other way around I admit..), some of the planes in IL-2, in my opinion, are modelled a 'little too good' - such as E retention in La-5FNs, general acceleration of late war Yaks, but that is perfectly understandable.

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 12:46:41 PM »
I just can't believe the roll rates Kweassa......they can't be right..

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 01:15:15 PM »
Neither can I,  28sweep, but it's a "my word(NACA) against his(TsAGI)" situation. I'm not ready to just sign this off "bah, Soviets lied".

Propaganda is something used to cloud the general masses, not exactly the guys who are doing the fighting at hand. I don't think aueronautics engineers would lie to their pilots when you were in a deep shi* situation as the VVS was in before 1943.

Frankly I dunno what I should believe.

ps) Maybe the 109s and 190s operating in the Eastern front were behaving differently compared to the captured 109s and 190s in the West for some reason.. not sure though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2002, 01:18:03 PM by Kweassa »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2002, 01:20:00 PM »
IL2 view system sux... hmm wonder if i've said that b4...  guess i'll repeat it again..

IL2 View system sux!!

SKurj

Offline JoeDirt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2002, 01:30:50 PM »
i get 9-20 FPS right now as it is. if HTC adds all that stuff they should prolly put an option to turn it off.

i would like more realistic skys tho. like in pearl harbor when the p-40's and zekes went up high to fly. like if you get really high the sky should get darker. and what about accumbulus(sp?) clouds?

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2002, 02:14:20 PM »
best reason for me to stay with aces high

ITS FREE or at least the hth part is but if i had hte money i would gladly subscribe

just find the sound files from il2 and change there names rescpectivly then trasfer em into aces high

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2002, 02:25:03 PM »
It's not that simple vorticon, I think IL-2 has its sound files compressed into some sort of a single file like the way it was in EAW. Gawd I'd love to get my hands on the sound files of IL-2.. and hope it's in *.wav format too.