Author Topic: Brief thoughts on Sadam  (Read 1657 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« on: August 05, 2002, 11:32:32 PM »
After studying the releases in the news media I believe the USA is merely trying to inflame his anal leakage condition for the moment.

However, we may witness and example known as "hyperwar" in the immediate future. Should be interesting when and if such happens.

Question: What do you think will be the method and plan of attack?

Disclaimer: This is not to say we should attack Iraq or promote agression, but merely my comments on the current situation. The intent is not to start that debate with this thread.

Rogue out
« Last Edit: August 06, 2002, 09:45:15 AM by rogwar »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 01:53:44 AM »
The seemingly renewed interest in Saddam Hussein makes me wonder if we've learned he played a role in the attack of 9/11.

Even if it were now suspected that Al Qaeda was not the primary organization behind the 9/11 attack this information probably would not be made known publicly. I suggest the reason being that we're certain that Osama has been at least involved in other attacks on the US and we don't want to be perceived as having made a mistake about 9/11.

Of course this is sheer speculation and Saddam is still a threat to region stability if for no other reason than the obvious.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 04:04:12 AM »
It really doesnt matter if Saddam was involved in 9-11 or not. He is an insane moslem dictator. He funds terrorist organizations, and he is constantly trying to increase his stock of chemical and  biological weapons.  He is constantly trying to get his hands on nuclear weapons or radioactive materials. He has no hesitation to use chemical weapons, he has no hesitation to do pretty much anything.

We should invade Iraq, kill their leaders and convert the people to Christianity.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 05:49:54 AM »
Ah the old "[Insert enemy of the week] is evil because he nearly has half the scary toys we do,  funds and trains less terrorists than us and is nearly as vicious" propaganda rears it's ugly head. :D

I reckon the renewed interest in the leader of the world's second greatest oil source may have a lot more to do with this:

"The effect of a permanent $10 increase in the price of a barrel of oil would reduce U.S. economic growth, slow productivity increases, increase unemployment, and have other negative impacts on the economy, according to an analysis by the respected macroeconomic modeler, Dr. Allen Sinai, president
of Primark Decision Economics."
culled from a "it's too expensive to save the planet" argument against the Kyoto agreement here:http://www.accf.org/OilPriceACCF.pdf

And this (my bet: he'll be in big trouble when it tops $30 a barrel):
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 09:04:14 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
It really doesnt matter if Saddam was involved in 9-11 or not. He is an insane moslem dictator. He funds terrorist organizations, and he is constantly trying to increase his stock of chemical and  biological weapons.  He is constantly trying to get his hands on nuclear weapons or radioactive materials. He has no hesitation to use chemical weapons, he has no hesitation to do pretty much anything.

We should invade Iraq, kill their leaders and convert the people to Christianity.

Hortlund! Such a blatant troll. This is so out of character. :)
sand

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2002, 09:16:08 AM »

We tried that, like a thousand years ago.........but hey I'm game;)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2002, 09:22:14 AM »
Heh, fun thing is I mean every word of it :)

Although I cannot take credit for the "We should invade Iraq, kill their leaders and convert the people to Christianity"-part.

Yup, those are the words of Ann Coulter...now I ask you all again...is it humanly possible NOT to fall in love with that girl? :)

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2002, 09:28:03 AM »
I saw Dick Cheney on TV the other day talking in extremely vague terms about the motivation behind an attack on Iraq. And it wasn't like he was trying to conceal information, more he was trying to conceal a blatant lack of information.

He's the most untrustworthy politician I've seen in a long while. And we have plenty to choose from over here.

It seems certain elements of the US administration want to use "the events of 911" (oh how I am sick to death of hearing that phrase) to justify acts otherwise abhorrant to its own population. If it's done in the name of the 'War against Terrorism', it can't be a bad thing. To say otherwise would be to disrespect those who died in the WTC.

BS.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2002, 09:33:53 AM »
Anyone having any problems with Saddam Hussein & Co being removed from power needs to check his priorities. Exactly why  anyone would want to see that murderous bastard remain in power is beyond me.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Re: Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2002, 09:48:02 AM »
Originally posted by rogwar
After studying the releases in the news media I believe the USA is merely trying to inflame his anal leakage condition for the moment.

However, we may witness and example known as "hyperwar" in the immediate future. Should be interesting when and if such happens.

Question: What do you think will be the method and plan of attack?

Disclaimer: This is not to say we should attack Iraq or promote agression, but merely my comments on the current situation. The intent is not to start that debate with this thread.

Rogue out

This thing is taking off weirdly. My questions was what do you think will be the method and plan of attack?

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2002, 09:53:27 AM »
Originally posted by -dead-
"The effect of a permanent $10 increase in the price of a barrel of oil would reduce U.S. economic growth, slow productivity increases, increase unemployment, and have other negative impacts on the economy

If we were soley motivated by the price of oil, why wouldn't we just get on board with the Russians and French, and lift the Sanctions on Iraq, and let them sell as much as they wanted?

Of course I think that Oil plays a large role in our policy in the region, as it does every industrial nation.  I think that we are trying to promote "stability" in the region, by eliminating Saddam, and most importantly his potential nuclear program. But I don't think we are doing this to keep him from "nuking" the US (after all, that's what we will have our pie in the sky ABM system for ;) ) Anyhow, I think that the US is trying to prevent the Arab nations from developing a nuclear deterrent. If the Arab nations were reasonably sure that Israel would not use their nukes, I think that we would see another Arab israeli war. And the US is against that, since it will probably have a negative effect on the price of oil, and our economic growth.

-Sikboy

PS: Yes, this is all half baked.
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2002, 10:53:49 AM »
Originally posted by rogwar

This thing is taking off weirdly. My questions was what do you think will be the method and plan of attack?

Well, it seems there are basically two ways to go about it. One, build up forces in the region and attack like we did in '91. The other is we sneak in and assasinate Hussein and any others we don't want taking over in his place.

The first method would be very expensive in both money and possibly lives. It might also require us to commit troops for an indefinite period.

The second method would be relatively cheap but doesn't present the image many in the US would like to project. There is also the problem of installing a new leader that would be malleable or at least friendly to the US.

If we could have incited a coup from within he probably wouldn't be in power now. Nor has economic ruin turned his people against him, at least not enough.

I think we'll sneak in and take him out and install a puppet.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2002, 11:09:50 AM »
Anyone having any problems with Saddam Hussein & Co being removed from power needs to check his priorities. Exactly why  anyone would want to see that murderous bastard remain in power is beyond me.

His regime is more liberal than those of many of our friends - like the same Kuwait or Saudi Arabia.
 Can women work in those countries? How about vote? Is oil nationalised there or owned by monarchs? Is there a representative elective body of any kind in those countries? Are their regimes secular? Who actually finances terrorism against US - Iraq or Saudi Arabia?

Going after Hussein instead of them would have been like going after Franco instead of Hitler. Which is what we are about to do.

Even forgetting him being the most progressive of the bunch, why would we care about that particular murderous bastard? He never hurt us - even after what we did to him.  He will be replaced by similar bastard if removed. We acted as Saudi mercenaries once. Then we stayed there to protect the monarchy from their people. Look what it got us - our best friend and fighter for saudi democracy OBL got upset...
 Let Sweden depose him if he bothers you that much.

miko

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2002, 12:14:20 PM »
Well Miko, at the end of the day Sweden won't be commiting forces in any meaningful scale to such an action. It will be the good ol' US, with token support from the UK (despite the fact our armed forces are stretched past breaking point).

Perhaps Sweden could sell some arms to the protagonists? That's usually our job, but for obvious reasons there is a gap in the market. If you can sell to Nazis, I'm sure Saddam is almost a step up the moral ladder.

Frankly, there's been ample opportunity in the last 12 years to overthrow Saddam. Kurdish uprisings encouraged, but not supported when they finally come out into the open. Iraqi military uprisings encouraged and not supported... etc etc etc.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Brief thoughts on Sadam
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2002, 12:24:18 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d
His regime is more liberal than those of many of our friends - like the same Kuwait or Saudi Arabia.
 Can women work in those countries? How about vote? Is oil nationalised there or owned by monarchs? Is there a representative elective body of any kind in those countries? Are their regimes secular? Who actually finances terrorism against US - Iraq or Saudi Arabia?

Going after Hussein instead of them would have been like going after Franco instead of Hitler. Which is what we are about to do.

Even forgetting him being the most progressive of the bunch, why would we care about that particular murderous bastard? He never hurt us - even after what we did to him.  He will be replaced by similar bastard if removed. We acted as Saudi mercenaries once. Then we stayed there to protect the monarchy from their people. Look what it got us - our best friend and fighter for saudi democracy OBL got upset...
 Let Sweden depose him if he bothers you that much.

miko

meanwhile on planet earth...

Saddam Hussein has started two wars, one against Iran, one against Kuweit. He has used chemical weapons against Iran and he has used chemical weapons against insurgents in his own country. He rules his country the same way a mideaval baron would do it. He orders people excecuted whenever he suspects anything, no matter how trivial. He has placed relatives in all positions of power in Iraq. He funds numerous terrorist organizations, he is implementing an agressive Chemical and Biological weapons program. It is a known fact that he has large stockpiles of Nerve gas and Anthrax, it is also widely known that he is agressively seeking to get his hands on nuclear weapons or radiaoctive material. He is also trying to obtain the smallpox virus from Russia.

Like it or not, he has named the USA and Israel as his main enemies. He will do whatever he can to destroy the USA and Israel. If you want to sit around arguing over womens rights in Iraq, then by all means go ahead.

When he gets his hands on any more potent weapon of mass destruction he will use it. And he will use it against the USA. No matter what you say, no matter what you hope, no matter how unpleasant that thought is to you, he will use it. Not through Iraqi intelligence agencies, not through his own armed forces...not in any way that can be traced back to him. But when that first smallpox virus bomb detonates in New York, or when that dirty bomb goes off in Seattle, he will be the one who ordered it.

Stick your head in the sand and compare womens rights or who gets to vote in what country. In the real world, real people have to deal with real dangers. Saddam Hussein is a threat to the western world, he will continue to be such a threat until he is removed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2002, 12:26:27 PM by Hortlund »