Author Topic: The war on Iraq is already under way  (Read 663 times)

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
The war on Iraq is already under way
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2002, 03:54:57 PM »
By Toad:

"It's like an onion, this recon game."

Or maybe a parfait?  A lotta people don't like onions, ya know.

(Just trying to inject a little humor while checking the inventory of bottled water and dried and canned food, hehe)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2002, 04:09:49 PM »
I've read the Debka site a few times... somewhat sceptical still.

Found this about the editor:

"Giora Shamis is editor in chief of the Jerusalem-based "Debka File," an electronic defense newsletter."

Thoughts that this report generated in my mind:

1."the US air force used new precision-guided bombs
capable of locating and destroying fiber optic systems"

Fiber optic sniffing bombs? We've got a bunch of savvy folks here. Anyone know if fiber optic cables radiate a "capturable" signal of some sort.

2. "opening the airport for giant American and Turkish transports to deliver engineering units, heavy machinery and electronic support equipment, which were put to work at once on enlarging the field and widening its landing strips. "

VERY easy to check this one, given the availability of commercial satellite imagery. One would think groups that oppose intervention would be all over this and pointing fingers.

3. Iraq's sovereignity has been violated, actual combat has taken place and NO WORD of this outrage from Baghdad? No appeal to the UN to stop the aggression? Christian Amanpour is having her nails done and can't get to the scene?

I'm having trouble with this.

Once again, I'll wait and see. As I said, I'll be pretty disappointed if this is going on without Congress having a roll call vote.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2002, 04:21:34 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline N1kPaz

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
IQ??
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2002, 08:38:57 AM »
I find it hard to believe that the peanut farmer has the highest IQ out of those shown in the article that Toad linked to. I reckon its possible, but I think it’s unlikely.

As far as the whining bellybutton liberals, they oppose war until that position is proven unacceptable, then they pretend they are pro-war but it was just handled improperly in the past. Maybe they would prefer to use cruise missile strikes to draw the public attention away from their immoral leaders...uh...sorry that already happened. HEHE

I know this. The only people in the European area with the gonads to fight are the brits. They see the lessons learned about trying to appease evil tyrants, and are willing to freely apply those lessons. It appears the rest of Europe would rather sit on their tulips and speculate about nuclear and biological weapons. But then again, if my little country was not on the target list, I might be complacent too.

I don’t really think Europe has much say in any of this. They have proven their lack of foresight in the realm of dealing with insane whackos, and since they still have this pacifist, walk all over us while we paint and dance attitude, the United States and the United Kingdom will be forced to do the hard work required to help secure the lives of THEIR citizens.

All I know is this. I am for the destruction of any country on this planet that threatens the United States and the United Kingdom.

My children have to grow up here, and I don’t give a rats bellybutton if we have to whoop every too bit toejam hole country on the planet to increase our national security. I say.... roll out the cruise missiles baby...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2002, 09:23:38 AM »
The top half of the page merely reprints the totally bogus article that went around.

The bottom of the page has the debunking.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2002, 08:30:10 PM »
You guys are missing the most important part of this whole post.  
Was a bit concerned about my draft age daughter
Soooooooooo, umm is she single?

Offline Creto

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2002, 08:39:16 PM »
From Janes Defense Weekly:

After Saddam is defeated: a confidential American projection of a new Middle East

If the Western media and armchair generals are to be believed, the impending war against Iraq will be disastrous. The world oil price will rise and financial markets will remain wobbly. The backlash against the US and its allies will be huge, perhaps toppling pro-Western monarchies and governments in the Gulf and Middle East.

This is the received wisdom of the critics. Foreign Report has had access to the thinking of advocates in the Bush administration about the US intervention in Iraq. Although the risks inherent in any war cannot be overlooked, the critics may exaggerate the dangers and underestimate the advantages for the entire Middle East should the operation go well.

At the outset, remember who the critics are. They are the people who predicted Armageddon in all recent conflicts. The critics claimed a decade ago that the war to remove Saddam from Kuwait would last 'for decades'; its most intensive phase lasted less than a month. They also said that 'huge numbers' of Western soldiers would be killed. In fact, hundreds died. They predicted that Saddam's Republican Guards would 'fight to the end'; in fact, they ran away.

Could the critics be wrong again?

Saddam Hussein is not Bin Laden. He is a classic dictator, dependent on the apparatus of a state, a disciplined security service and a small clan of his own people, the Takritis, who are despised by most ordinary Iraqis, not to speak of other Arabs in the Middle East. When his regime begins to collapse, he will be finished.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2002, 09:56:15 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Thoughts that this report generated in my mind:

1."the US air force used new precision-guided bombs
capable of locating and destroying fiber optic systems"

Fiber optic sniffing bombs? We've got a bunch of savvy folks here. Anyone know if fiber optic cables radiate a "capturable" signal of some sort.

Toad, a friend of mine worked a major fiber optics company, that is based locally.  His job was to put these things together.

Apparently, the heart of a fiber optic cable is a a tiny transpartent medium that is "painted" with a reflective substance.  The light goes down the center of this transparent medium, bouncing off the reflective "paint".  I imagine the only signiture it would have is very very very low heat signature as some of the energy fromthe the light is lost in the imperfections in the medium and the "paint".

Unlike electical mediums, you can not detect the signal going through a fiber optic cable at all.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 10:13:25 PM by Thrawn »