Author Topic: New pilots: Go ahead and fly that Spitfire!  (Read 785 times)

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
New pilots: Go ahead and fly that Spitfire!
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2002, 08:51:59 PM »
i'll tell u what master the Hurr Mk I and the Spitfire MK I then u can kick any planes a*

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2002, 06:48:20 PM »
Am I the only nut who prefers the P-40?? I've actually not done too badly in it... haven't earned a lot of kills, but don't get killed that easily either. :cool:

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2002, 11:17:38 PM »
I actually ran into a pretty good P-40 driver the other day in the MA, while I was in a 109-G10.  We had two knife fights, he won one and I won one.  The P-40E is a pretty good plane, only problem is it really doesn't have anything on the Spit9 or N1K2, so a decent pilot in one of those will win pretty easily.

Offline Geeesy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2002, 12:08:29 PM »
I used to fly the P-40b pretty often in WarBirds 2.01, where it could outturn and outroll the Spit V and later versions easily *eg*. Here it seems like wether the P-40b in WB was way too good or the Spit's were way too bad, which would take me by surprise since they were "dweebplanes" there too.;)
Anyways to everybody bold enough to take the wonderfull early ~hawk planes into battle against these late time monsters!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 12:10:40 PM by Geeesy »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2002, 03:44:29 PM »
Originally posted by paulieb
Am I the only nut who prefers the P-40?? I've actually not done too badly in it... haven't earned a lot of kills, but don't get killed that easily either. :cool:

When I can get on the Allied side, I very much enjoy the E version.  It has its problems, but it's just such a pleasant plane to fly.

- oldman

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2002, 07:15:12 PM »
Believe it or not, I have had reasonable success in the P40B versus Spits and 51s. I've only put up a couple of kills with it, but even when I get taken down, it takes 5 minutes plus for the opposing pilot to do it. B+Z works really well with this plane if you start with an E advantage. Because of its roll rate, the best defensive tactic when under fire is to roll inverted and go for the deck. So far, the only Allied plane I've seen that can dive with it is the P47D, and to a lesser extent, the P40E. Another plus for me is that this plane can take a real pounding and still bring you home. Anyone thinking about flying this ill-tempered beast should definitely read up on what worked for the AVG... it really works in this sim as well!

Offline stahler

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fmfnet.com/cmc/
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2002, 07:35:11 PM »
Originally posted by LoneStarBuckeye
Oldman:

...Nonetheless, that "advantage" is substantially--if not completely--outweighed by the Spits' inability to flee the scene and survive.  Unlike a faster, pure energy fighter, a Spit generally has no option but to fight his way home.  

Uh, The all of the spits retain Energy (and therefore speed) better than any plane I can think of off the top of my head.... unless you get way to wrapped up in your knife fight, you will still be able to run away from 70-80% of your enemies.

I have been flying AH ever since Beta 3 and sucked for a LONG LONG time.  I usually avoided flying the spits because I prefer flying other planes.  However, whenever I do up in a spit I almost always get 2-3 kills without much effort at all.  It is an extremely good plane to learn by, very easy to fly, relatively fast, is very forgiving for less experienced pilots who yank on the stick rather than use trim and gentle controls, it has those 2 nasty Hispanos and takes a fair amount of abuse (though Sac4 seems to like to run into the ground while straffing my parachute in them fairly regularly....  I don't suggest this, the ground is not very forgiving)  In the small amount of tutoring that I have done, I have suggested the Spit IX and the N1K2.

I don't hold anything against anyone who wants to fly them.  Each plane in the game has it's advantages and disadvantages.  Fly what you want!

Though, I do usually try to single out Spits, La7s and N1Ks out of the pack (not just because they are 'dweeb' planes, but because they can be generally more dangerous to face.

CHEERS!

Offline Jazz1

• Zinc Member
      • http://jazzmansplace.com
dweeb planes
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »
I'm trying to move up from the dweeb planes, but the non-dweebs are difficult to fly without a tail section, which I tend to loose fairly fairly quickly, but I'm working on it.   That security blanket I've relied on with the N1K2 and LA-7 is always too tempting.   So I guess I'll just be have to force myself to stay the coarse until I get better.  I can fly anything available, but I die less in dweeb planes!  Are Pony's and P-38's the next step to respect?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 07:37:11 PM »
ROFL..........nice 4 YEAR OLD BUMP!!!!

Jazz, hehe, fly what your heart desires,  respect is given/earned by the way you fly, not by what you fly...........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Jazz1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 08:06:08 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

Jazz, hehe, fly what your heart desires,  respect is given/earned by the way you fly, not by what you fly...........

Thanks TC,

That's pretty much what I was going to do anyway!  :aok

Offline toon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006, 10:07:40 AM »
love the spit vIII,9,5.  when flying them i seek other spits. seeems as tho ny mostest funnest, fights have been with other spits and that monster 109francine. it seems when i fly the spit there are more extended engagements involving the use of acms and grey noodley matter. depends on whose in the red plane tho.i like the pony as well but 2-3 fights in 30 mins. can get boring.

Offline Jazz1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »
Thanks COBA94,

I guess I've been chased and/or shot down by so many vulching spits I didn't even want to fly them.  I tried one last night and you're right, they are fun flying machine (still died, however).  I think I'll keep bouncing from plane to plane for a few more months, as I enjoy that.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 05:01:43 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

Suckered into reading an old thread. I have to pay more attention to the dates.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »
A couple of points, you can learn all the ACM you like and it won't save you half the time.
I'd say the 3 following things are essential to any new or vet pilot.
1. SA
2. Keep the guy below you
3. Alt= energy and energy= life
My 2 cents anyway

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »
Originally posted by thrila
Maybe i'm wierd (well i'm kinda weird anyway) but i actually find it harder to get kills in the spit than the tiffie.  Why? because in a speed demon all you have to do is get on the con's 6 and run them down.  They make an evasive? simple, perform a yo-yo or some other vertical related manouver and come back on their 6.  Eventually you'll kill them because they can't escape.  I find it more challenging getting kills in the spitfire.

IMO flying the tiffie actually made me a worse pilot not a better one.  The most used ACM was the "point the nose down and run".  I actually forgot how to perform barrel rolls- i had to go offline and using film re-learn how to do them properly.

P.S. I love spits:)

So very true..... It takes patience and good SA to avoid repeated attacks by a BnZ while slowly gaining alt where you can engage.

Get yourself in a situation with a couple 51 D's up high and a Hurricane down low..... requires some good ACM and SA to stay alive. Nothing dweebish there.  Dont think the plane will get you out of that mess by itself... requires some skill.
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>