Author Topic: Bombing Runs  (Read 619 times)

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2002, 10:19:49 AM »
get her an account too :)

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
Bombing Runs
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2002, 01:30:34 PM »
Funny, you mention that, once I updgrade she'll get my current box then I'll get her flying :)  I could always use a good gunner in my bomber :)

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2002, 01:45:49 PM »
in AW there were some husband/wife bomber teams, each had own computer , he was pilot , her the gunner

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2002, 01:59:20 PM »
A short note on 'Joining'.
Always , always ... ALWAYS ask before you try and join someone.That pop up window can really interfere with what the pilot is doing. There is a dot command , /.showjoin _ , but I'm not exactly sure how that works. I did do a /.showjoin 0 on someone's suggestion, but yesterday haveing a nOOb join to see a landing in the TA, I received it in the same pop up as I had before the showjoin. Maybe the correct was to make them text is /.showjoin 1, or is it arena specific?
Can anyone clarify?

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Bombing Runs
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2002, 12:07:41 AM »
There have been a couple posts in here regarding wind compensation. Basically, the idea is to calculate approach vectors given the speed of your aircraft, speed of the wind, and angle between the two.

Quick, no-math figuring of the course adjustment to compensate for the wind.

First step: Figure the angle between your course and the wind. For example, if you were flying a course of 135, the angle would be 45° from astern. Then look up the wind angle and the wind speed on the chart below:

The number above the diagonal slash is the crosswind component; the number below the slash is the direct component. If the wind is behind you, add the direct component to your TAS (true airspeed); if it is in front of you, subtract the direct component.

Second step: Look up the course correction on the chart below, using your adjusted TAS and the crosswind component. The number is the number of degrees you need to turn into the wind to cancel the sideways drift from the wind.

If you have correctly compensated fro the wind drift in your course, not only will you fly a 'straight' course over the ground, but it will eliminate any sideways drift in your bombsight that you have to calibrate for. Of course, if you turn to line up on your target, all this goes out the window, and you have to do it the hard way in the sight calibration, so you might as well learn to do drift compensation in sight calibration.

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Bombing Runs
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2002, 03:52:21 AM »
Shiva!

Thank you for these tables.

I was bored of endless Easterly and Westerly approaches to target and was busy trying to work out what vector would take me over target accounting for crosswind.

Then you go and spoil my fun(!) by showing us this ready reckoner. I take it it's a real world table for use in real world aircraft?

Man thanks for saving this dense old pilot a lot of maths headache!

WTG

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Bombing Runs
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2002, 10:15:30 AM »
I take it it's a real world table for use in real world aircraft?

It's a pair of tables I found on a general-aviation site for figuring the course adjustment to make good a ground track with a crosswind. Except for the Ar-234 being out of the speed range of those charts, it should work will all of the buffs in AH.