Author Topic: Post HERE if you have given up on WB3.  (Read 952 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Post HERE if you have given up on WB3.
« on: September 26, 2002, 06:50:37 AM »
Stuck with WB2.77 till the bitter end, till the RPS (idiotic nature of) drove me away. Had enormous difficulty getting WB3 to run. They kept introducing new versions (95MB+ download), and I was unable to download because of the 2-hour connect time restriction on my ISP. I got various friends to download for me onto a CD, but just as I'd got things to work reasonably, another new version popped up, and my version was useless.

Then they went through the eyesight test phase, also known as Dotbirds. No icons at all. Baaah! Forget that.

Crap graphics, dots for aircraft that made one indistinguishable from another, crap connections, ad hoc changes, higher price, empty arenas, porked flight models, calamari & two veg and bleedin’ Watney’s Red Barrel – I’m starting to sound like Eric Idle in a certain Monty Python sketch, so long is the list...

So over to you – what made you leave WB3 and come here? Would you ever go back?

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 07:22:28 AM »
I could never really put my finger on what is is about WBs3 that put me off it,a number of things for me I guess,my main interest in it was for making my own skins online,then that was taken away,graphics are nice,but fancy graphics alone doesnt make a good sim,Id rather have playability over fancy eye candy anyday.
 Price certainly made me pack it in,for a 'sim' that has no strat,the promised online skins,awful flight model,and for me,having to centre my joystick all the time on flight drove me nuts,from time to time I look in to see if anythings improved,they can introduce all the 3d cockpits they want,etc,but the problems remain.AH rules.:)
Joc

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 07:25:26 AM »
Dotbirds and the control delays we reasons for me. I never have a lot of time to fly, even in ah. When I flew there was only 20 to 30 people in the main their (before the ww2a). I would pop in say hey wheres the fight and get guys saying we have gvs ib to xxx.

The control delays would be at the top for me, not being a pilot I have read plenty that real pilots have to say about this issue and I dont see how it can be sold as "real".

If one were to read agw you would that the folks there complain about every plane over there. From the porked zekes and corsairs, to the uber 109f and 190s and everything in between.

I like alot of folks watch whats going on but I dont feel its worth 24 a month to fly planes with artifical delays modelled into the controls or to fly planes that just about every there claims are model incorrectly.

I had np getting the game to run well and my first flights in the d9 there I went 12 and 0.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 07:35:19 AM »
Another reason can be seen in this thread where iEN employee's admit 'Groundhogday' Stealey has them working on other projects until the new year. Warbirds development was slow anyway but this is a joke. 'Groundhogday' Stealey almost killed Warbirds the last time he was in control, perhaps he can finish it off this time. For all Hotseat's sniping at Hitech's code compare the two sims and see which one has the most features, inovations every release and not just one or two planes released with suspect FM's (ie the P39 that had an FM like the space shuttle in the last release)

Squad's are the thing that has kept most players in Warbirds but iEN has twice now completely screwed the whole system up, their latest squad pages faled to work for most and someone pointed out a glaring hole in the security of the site whereby he could have logged in and changed everyone's squad motto and then locked iEN out of their own DB! and they still don't have ingame join facility.

P.S Alan please send me a mail I've lost your contact details when I formatted my system.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 07:39:06 AM by Revvin »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 07:38:58 AM »
Tried it once during their free trials and didn't like the mush FM, the graphics while nice are too vivid and would fit much better in a space or robot game than a WW2 sim.

Offline Zipper9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2002, 08:50:17 AM »
As i decided to move away from Fighter Ace 3.0 recently i did tes WB3 as an alternative but didnt like it. Graphic screwed up for me and i did not like the flight model. I do also agree that graphic is not all as i actually left FA3.0, which has the best graphic available for these type of sims. There is a lot of things i like with AH but one of the things a lot of people told me that the flight models are so different between AH and FA. The major difference is the screwed up acceleration in Intermediate FA, except that it is actually not that different to AH.  Advanced FA is harder and according to pilot friend of mine more accurate.

Despite that AH has a much better overall architecture, features and functions as well as the community is great. That means a lot to me and i will continue here.

Cheers

Zipper9

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 09:01:08 AM »
The primary reason is that our squad voted to come to Aces High.
Our primary reason was the price hike from $9.95 to $24.95 to play in an arena that had 50 players in it at most.  I did not play in the Full Realism main arena in WB.  Figured if I was going to do that, then go Aces High for $10.00 less per month.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 09:24:42 AM »
for me it was the lack of service.  I tried many many times to get account help and found myself getting more and more frustrated.. finally I migrated.  best thing I've ever done with regards to flight sims.
oh.. and the flat rate :)

Offline bizket

• Copper Member
WBs sucks A.S.S.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 11:53:34 AM »
Even though I was paying 25 dollars a month and not flying hardly at all I stuck it out for a long time. The last straw for me was two things. That stupid A.S.S game and I couldnt change my credit card information online at the account maintence site. I lost my debit card one day so I cancelled it and when I went to change my info with IEN that part of the site was unavilable. I was so pissed off and just sick of Wild Dill and they way things were run over there I opened my Aces High account the next day. I've been having a great time too, the last few months have been like my early days in WBs.

I highly doubt I'll ever go back to WBs, it has become a joke trying to compete with WWIIONLINE and the BF1942 crowd. It would take me a month to list everything wrong with that "sim" so I'm not even going to try. Even though I dont play it anymore, I still get pissed when I think about how bad that game has been screwed up the last couple of years.  Now I hear there that the staff has to work on WBs in there free time so that bonehead Wild Bill can get Warbirds Korea out the door :rolleyes: Another nail in the coffen.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2002, 12:49:16 PM »
a lot of ex WB'ers feel the same way.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2002, 01:02:45 PM »
I wasn't super happy with Warbirds at $9.95 and no way in hell was I gonna pay more for the same thing.  This led me to try AH, and once I got over the initial hurdles that make moving from Warbirds to AH difficult - I would not even go back if WB3 was free.  

(In fact they did send me an email with a free trial while ago - I popped in flew a single 190 killed somebody then landed and logged.  Never went back again, even though it was free).

The game ran fine for me, in hardware terms.  (I did very much hate RPS with all my heart, so WB 2.77 was out of the question as an alternative as well.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 01:22:22 PM by Turbot »

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2002, 01:11:12 PM »
WB3 ran fine for me.  BUt not many peeps online.  Boring
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2002, 01:33:49 PM »
The onlt thing that kept me in WB 2.xx were the great squad mission with the 332nd Flying Mongrels. After AH went public Beta I flew AH and nothing (except for the above mentioned squad missions) but AH from the first day and forward.

Changed to AH from WB together with many of 332nd Flying Mongrels some two weeks or so after AH went pay-for-play.

The control delays would be at the top for me, not being a pilot I have read plenty that real pilots have to say about this issue and I dont see how it can be sold as "real".

I am a real life pilot, flying gliders, and I can say with 100% certainty that the WB control delay is as unrealistic as anything gets.

Something else that surprises me with IEN is (except for name change to "totalsims") that they keep anouncing all these new games. First it was WB3, then quite recently it was DoA3, I got very happy as I loved DoA. However, now they've put up ANOTHER 3 games on their webpage.

Armored Aussult, Air Combat and Tank attack.

Air Combat is basicly WB 3 with another name (my guess). Tank Attack same, armored aussult same... they've allso anounced a Korean and a Vietnam game.

Sooo, why do they start creating 5 new games when they haven't even finnished WB3 or DoA?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2002, 03:22:23 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
for me it was the lack of service.  I tried many many times to get account help and found myself getting more and more frustrated.. finally I migrated.  best thing I've ever done with regards to flight sims.
oh.. and the flat rate :)

Ditto that.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2002, 04:39:54 PM »
My reason was the price change from 9.95 to 24.95 flat when the beta phase ended the SECOND time.

Now that I'm here I might add what I like about Aces High
- better looking graphics (except when seeing planes from less than d30...)
- more players online, therefore even some players flying worse than me :)
- no 90% cloud layer at 8k. flying at 30k was a whole new experience, hunting buffs at 20k is fun.

Things I actually did like when flying wb3:
- RPS, 109e vs. spit and hurri was real big fun, for one in three weeks
- The No-Icons time in the historical arean was fun.
- people. most respond when sending text to them on the radio. organized missions were flown - neither using a mission editor nor beeing a squad. players were complaining about the lack of a mission editor, but when players decided to fly together flying over there usually was a lot more disciplined.
- not overmodeled rocket damage. first thing i did when i came here was taking a p38 up with rockets. first rocket fired killed an m16 from 1.4k - aimed the same way i did in wb3. now that i learned that rocket hits don't need to be as precise as over there i lost that skill of hitting so close.
- a single player could archive something over there for his country. with a 109f or later i could strafe all ack, hangar and dar at small fields to close it in a single sortie.
- almost no vulching. before a field could be captured it had to be closed - no one upping, no one vulched.
- event schedule over there is much more easy to read. more events at euro friendly times than here (i think, but may be wrong). almost all working on walk on basis. here i haven't flown any other events than a few WW (at 5 a.m.), the one time i logged into the special events arena filled with 10 or 20 players it was bob training, one or two of them insiting that i may not join them during training because i did not sign up for bob. wb is better in creating a feeling of beeing accepted.
- rook-e, who happened to be online every evening i was, but unfortunately uses a mac.

Something about wb's muchiness: It's not that bad, just implemented wrong. The speed the control surfaces can be moved is not limited by the position of the control surface = the stick the virtual pilot is using but limited by the position the players joystick is at. therfore centering can take longer when the stick is immediately deflected to the opposite direction. hotseat wrote this would be a result of the PIO [=APC] limiter, which is part of the model of true fly by wire systems used in wb3. at least that's how i remember it. where there's APC in a PC simulation hasn't been explained ever since.