Author Topic: Grounded :(  (Read 462 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Grounded :(
« on: September 06, 2000, 04:10:00 PM »
 Welp it looks like im effectively grounded.  I reinstalled win98 yesterday and now my joystick, pedals and throttle have changed their names to SPIKE lee.  I just put in my other sound card to see if it was the port, but they are still spiking.

SO, it looks like I won't be flying for a while until I can afford a new set up   My online activities will be limited to CM duty.  Hopefuly I'll get this fixed in a couple of weeks....

Udie

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2000, 04:12:00 PM »
Udie, what's your setup?

I may just have the cure for ya  

------------------
-Rebel
JG2 "Richtofen"
"You Rebel Scum"
"You rebel scum"

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2000, 04:17:00 PM »
 4 year old Chpedals
 3 year old Chthrottle
 2 month old TM top gun platinum

I think the problem may be the ruder pedals or the throttle. All axis spike at the same time.  The stick plugs into the throttle which plugs into the pedals which plug into the gameport on my SB live value.  I'm thinking that either the rudders or throttle is causing the whole set up to spike.  My keyboard also plugs into the throttle which plugs into the keyboard input, when I type while flying I almost go into a spin it spikes so bad.

I have no clue what kind of gear to get now.  I'm thinking Saitek or CH, but I need a full HOTAS pedals and all. Do they make all that stuff for USB yet?

Udie

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »
Saitek makes a decent USB thing, but let's try and save what ya got.

Have ya tried changing pots yet?  If not, give that a shot.  

If ya have, email me your address.  I got a present for ya    

*edit* schitzo_duck@yahoo.com *edit*
*edit*  It's your new game port that's causing the problem, methinks.*edit*

------------------
-Rebel
JG2 "Richtofen"
"You Rebel Scum"

[This message has been edited by Rebel (edited 09-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rebel (edited 09-06-2000).]
"You rebel scum"

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2000, 04:22:00 PM »
I had to reformat, the whole bit, a few days ago. My MS stick was lagging on views, WEP wouldn't stay on, auto angle would would turn off after a few seconds, etc. After a couple days of flying, the problem apparently cured itself. No more probs.

You might try flying for a day or two. I've heard other people have the same prob after a reload, and the same cure (fixing itself) Sounds crazy, I know, but I didn't do anything else to it.  

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
 Whew that's going to be a tough one.  I'm so pissed at this new system.  I went through 2 weeks of lock ups.  Didn't know what the problem was, did 2 weeks of troubleshooting. Finaly I called the shop and said I was bringing it back in for them to check it out. Before I did I updated Virus sheild. BAM it found a virus, 1st one in 5 yrs online.  That's why I reinstalled.  Now this!!!  I swear I got chest pains last night in AH when I couldn't fly.   I'll try it for a couple of nights to see what happens.  

U

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2000, 04:29:00 PM »
after reading your last reply, youre right it may be your hardware. Buy you some hoffman pedals. They're digital, no spikes.  

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
he forgets he has a tech that lives about 45 minutes away that he NEVER asks for help.  Oh well.

------------------
Dnil---Skyhawk until I get Dnil back :)
Maj. 900th Bloody Jaguars
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
UDIE i cancelled my account over this, and now i am back. I have Ch peddals,CHpro throttle and CHpro joy. I FINALLY got them to work. First i used some air spray to clean the pods. I'm running the setup threw a standard gameport on the soundblaster 32 ( cheapo) Second the Spiking was in Win98, accually i could only squeeze half a throw from the joystick in windows. Trust me on this: you have to keep calibrating, and deleting the setup UNTIL it calibrates right in windows ( think it took me well over 20 tries) BUT it WILL finally calibrate! Scrap the dos utilies! they never worked for me. Just be persistant and you will get a calibration thats acceptable. Then of course recalibrate it in AH. I know the frustration i cancelled my account for 3 months over this. All my Ch stuff is brand spanking new and i still couldn't get it to work. I tried siatek ( crap) i tried Wingman digitals ( CRAP) USB.

NUTTZ  hang in there...
Originally posted by Udie:
Welp it looks like im effectively grounded.  I reinstalled win98 yesterday and now my joystick, pedals and throttle have changed their names to SPIKE lee.  I just put in my other sound card to see if it was the port, but they are still spiking.

SO, it looks like I won't be flying for a while until I can afford a new set up   My online activities will be limited to CM duty.  Hopefuly I'll get this fixed in a couple of weeks....

Udie

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
Actually, if all of your controls are doing a spike at regular intrevals, then I doubt it's actually their pots...especially if they're spiking without you moving them.  Try and isolate the problem.  First, plug in just the Top Gun Platinum.  If that works, then add the rudders.  If that works, then add the throttle, and see if the problem comes back.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2000, 05:17:00 PM »
ppppppppssssssttttttt  Udie scan those mpegs u get from Moviemart.com

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »
Have you tried this:

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BetaSoftware/CHJoy98.exe

or the stick works program:
 http://home.att.net/~stickworks/ctfjv320.zip

These work very well for folks who had problems after upgrading. Make sure you're using DX7A too btw!

I had a PC crash last weekend and in the subsequent process of scrubbing the HDD clean and then reformating for a fresh WIN98 install (had Win95B prior) I have yet to check and do my gamecontroller yet. That's for tonight. All CH gear too. Wish me luck!

-Westy

ezdoc

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »
Sounds like gremlins again  

------------------
ezdoc
48th Fighter Group "Checkertails"

Ice

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2000, 05:37:00 PM »
Udie....

This is what made my world a better place to live in
 http://gamesdomain.hol.gr/gdreview/zones/reviews/hardware/jun98/l4final.html

Good Luck!

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2000, 06:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by Udie:
I have no clue what kind of gear to get now.  I'm thinking Saitek or CH, but I need a full HOTAS pedals and all. Do they make all that stuff for USB yet?

The only full USB HOTAS right now is the Saitek X36 Flight Control System (throttle + stick combo) plus the CH Pro Pedals USB. Both items are selling at US$100 each.

CH doesn't say when they will release the Pro Throttle USB; they will have it in a UK show this month though. The F16 Fighterstick USB and the CH (regular) Pedals USB are probably farther off. (Right now there's only the F16 Combatstick with its 4-way hatswitch and the CH Pro Pedals USB.)

With 3 CH USB products you will need a USB port for each controller, so that means you wil need a USB hub. The Saitek X36 combo only needs 1 USB port (the throttle plugs into the stick).

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 09-06-2000).]