Author Topic: Flight Sims: Why Choose Aces High?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Flight Sims: Why Choose Aces High?
« on: October 12, 2002, 06:21:04 AM »
I'm new to the internet and flight sims.  AH was my first and so far only sim - I'm hooked, but am still a novice.

Why do you prefer it to other sims? (e.g. over MS Combat Flight Sim - it must be massive on the net)  Is it the flight charactersistics? Accuracy of computer modelling? More fun?  Interconnectivity with other players?  Tech support? Or none of those things?

I'd appreciate your comments.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 07:17:14 AM »
All of the things. :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 03:17:54 PM »
Other than potentially Fighter Ace, which has from what I hear very poor Flight modeling. There is no other current Massive Online Flight sim. Nothing else comes close. Warbirds is going the way of the dinosaur, same as Airwarrior did. World War II Online is WAY more of a tank infantry game with a bit of flight sim thrown in.

Yes there are boxed sims out there with good graphics like IL2. But thats apples & oranges.

No nothing else out there quite matches the all round performance of AH for price, numbers of people, flight modeling, Gunnery, etc.

Also, for the unbelieveably low price of 15$ a month you can fly all you like.

How do you beat that?

Plus, show me another online game that adds features, planes/ and fixes problems as often as AH. Plus their customer support is #1.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 03:30:26 PM »
If you want to play an onlined ww2 flight sim that has a bright future, this is the only place to be.

The MS CFS's are limited in the number of real life players.  16 or 32, I think.

IL2 is by far the most handsome of the boxed games available, but agian is limited to 32 people in any one game.

F.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2002, 03:23:43 AM »
besides all already written, another aspect thats not the least, the AH COMMUNITY and this BBS, I love them.  ;)  Where ,all around, can you find people with knowledge of flying, planes, armament, and so on, lihe this; and better, where can you find such a bunch of "professional whiners"? :D :p
Believe me, you'll never feel alone in AH :)
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 05:33:16 AM »
Why Aces High?  It's "simply the best, better than all the rest!"  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 04:11:17 AM »
For me it's the comunity,
                  Yeah the techsupport is the best out there. Yeah the updates come faster than any other online gaming comunity that I know of. Yeah alright the gameplay is the best out there and the flight modeling is just splendid. Yeah the whole company is totaly focused on AH and is run by WW2 Flight Sim freeks who live breath and eat the game. Okey we all know that problems are solved here faster than any other GAME out there. And finaly we all know that the game is in a constant state of development but that is all nothing compared to the comunity.

I have been witness to this type of friendlyness anywhere online in a comunity. Nowhere where people will go out of there way to help you out. Not only on a gaming level but on a personal one too. Only in Aces High do you get people like my own personal mentor Ghosth who will be there through thick and thin on more than just a gaming level. Only in Aces High do you find people like Daddog, Ripsnort, Flossy, and others who I probably should remember put so much into this comunity and game trying to make it enjoyable for everyone. Only in Aces High do you get people who are no so well known Like Chenault who put so much time into the Training Arena, trying to help others new to the game.

This is why I fly Aces High

Offline AV8

• Zinc Member
Why chose AH
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 11:56:14 AM »
Hi Dr Lecter :)

I have just noticed that only Senior Members answered your  Question.

Well, what can I say: These poor people have been brainwashed by Aces High:D
However, I can confirm that everything they say is TRUE:rolleyes:

Its a great game.  It has its occasional hiccups, but all games do!

I have been shotdown/killed/blownup/exterminated etc.etc in quite a few sims. Moreso in this one as I tend to fly a C47 (Gooney) and get very little support from these poor brainwashed, full of self importance, deluded, misguided, pig headed, irrational, fighter jocks :eek:

Having said that, these aformentioned "Senior Members" are really very helpful to everyone who is not flying a Goony;)

So if you want to have fun, in the kill or be killed arenas, then choose any fighter and these people will bend over backwards to help you. Remember though! On no account fly a C47 goon as you will be ignored by everyone except enemy fighters.  I personally think that as soon as friendly fighter pilots see a Goon, they head in the opposite direction and broadcast over the open net your exact position:mad: :D

Its a great game

:)

AV8

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2002, 02:15:40 PM »
Time to say 'thank you' to all for answering this thread.

As a newbie, the rest of the online sim world is unknown and is likely to stay that way.  I'm impressed by the online support here (especially tips & advice) and am glad I seem to have struck gold with my selection.

I don't know if you guys know how AH is publicised, but I got to hear of it through Download.com.

Thanks again

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2002, 06:03:40 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Why Aces High?  It's "simply the best, better than all the rest!"  :D

looks like you been assimiliated. anyone mention how cute you look with those pom poms?

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2002, 08:50:04 PM »
ohh ohhh ohh...once you fly with and against real people you find offline drones b-o-r-i-n-g. After beating the guy who toasted you when you started you become irreversibly hooked on the online sim. Plus, the other people bring a dimension to the game that cannot be duplicated.

Fly on brother! :D

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2002, 12:21:42 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
looks like you been assimiliated. anyone mention how cute you look with those pom poms?
ROFL!  Yep, guess I have.... what else is there, anyway?  :)   Ummm and no, you are the first to mention the pom poms....  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2002, 01:20:43 PM »
community...massively multy player

and as for the mcfs weeeeeeeellllllllllll it has prolly some of the worst grapphics its incredably gliutchy small games and limited in realism andplanes

il2 looks nice but it has some problems

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2002, 01:55:27 PM »
Because it goes nicely with fava beans and a nice chianti.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2002, 12:52:10 PM »
I like the free beer.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?