Author Topic: Moscow theater, best move?  (Read 768 times)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Moscow theater, best move?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2002, 09:33:31 AM »
I think they did the best they could in the situation.  what else could they do?  sit on their hands so no hostage deaths could be blamed on them? all would be dead but at least it's not their fault, right?

now they should continue to do the right thing and go ahead and tell the people exactly what they where breathing so they can continue to save the hostages.

btw- the latest news I'd heard was that they where releasing no info on exactly what this gas was. making treatment virtually impossable.  if this is not the case disregard paragraph 2

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2002, 09:43:18 AM »
The next time this happens the Terrorists will wear gas masks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2002, 09:47:13 AM »
just a matter of time before it happens here ...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2002, 10:11:16 AM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Here "left" means conservative, bonehead commies or nationalists. "Rights" are liberals, "free enterprising" freaks and thieves.

God, but sometimes I love our species.

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2002, 12:10:51 PM »
i think they used way too much gas. Probably they were trying to get some in every nook and corner and make sure all the terrorists got some.

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2002, 12:53:36 PM »
Harry: "Alright, pop quiz: The airport. Gunman with one hostage, he's using her for cover, he's almost to the plane. You're a hundred feet away."
(Long pause)
"Jack?"
Jack: "Shoot the hostage."
Harry: "What?"
Jack: "Take her out of the equation. Go for the good wound and he can't get to the plane with her. Clear shot"
Harry: "You are deeply nuts, you know that? 'Shoot the hostage'... jeez..."

-Speed (1994)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2002, 03:37:05 PM »
I think that they were wearing gas masks..or some of them. Must have used a skin agent.
This is the best that could have been hoped for. Including the instant trials. Next time they will have a better after strike medical response plan.
Hell of a price to pay for success but I salute the Russians for having the nutts to assess their options and move.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2002, 03:43:39 PM »
The only other option open to the Russians, was to sneak into the projection booth (yes, there was one retrofitted to the theater in 1995) and begin showing a Pluto Nash/ Glitter double feature. I shudder to think of the casualties had they taken that course.

-Sik

oh what? I'm not supposed to joke about this either?
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2002, 03:47:41 PM »
Oh, I thought you were serious.... my bad.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2002, 07:29:04 PM »
I think the Russians did the best the could given the difficult circumstances.  All things considered it could have been much worse and I see no way for it to have come out much better.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2002, 07:34:21 PM »
Why would giving the victims antidote compromise the secrecy of the gas composition?

Just give them the antidote and don't tell them what it was. Can you reverse the composition of the gas by analysing traces of antidote in victim's blood? If yes how hong would the military has to quarantine the victims for the traces to disappear.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2002, 07:45:32 PM »
Sorry guys, they screwed up badly and the hostage takers won.
The hostage takers took hostages so that either their demands would be met, or a lot of innocent people were going to die.  The goal of any rescue effort is to deny them both.
sure, the details aren't available yet, and we probably should withhold final judgment.
But we can certainly issue an interlocutory and state that deliberately killing over 100 hostages to get to 50-odd terrorists is not a successful outcome.  Tey'd probably have killed less by dropping a bomb on the building and charging into the chaos.

Again, this is a hostage situation.  In dictatorships, this kind of stunt only works if you take VIPs as hostages.  In semi-free countries like the US and Russia, where the media has some ability to incite fear without fear of governmental reprisals, there's no difference between 100 and 600 innocent people dead.
Of course, there is a media difference between terrorists killing them and an HRT gassing them, especially when the hostages are weakened by three days of fasting, medevac is slow arriving, and nobody bothers to tell the doctors what poison the hostages inhaled.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2002, 09:49:49 PM »
Russion Pres makes Janet Reno look lame..
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2002, 10:32:33 PM »
Ruskies did the right thing, watching the news footage the terrorists had that place wired with a TRUCKLOAD of explosives. Any breach and there would have been nothing but a smoking hole in the ground.

And I doubt the terrorists planned to surrender.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2002, 10:37:46 PM »
My mother-in-law pissed me off on this one last night. Her thought on the gas being introduced to the theater was; "Those stupid Russians could have negotiated their way out of it." I then told her to take the hostages place in her mind and basically told her to think of sitting next to a bomb wired to blow the entire theater area (as we were told by the media). Or to get shot by some wired terrorist or Russian HRT member who was trying to get a bullet into the terrorist holding her as a shield. Then I asked her which way did she want to die? That shut her up and changed her mind about the outcome.

The Russians did it the only way they thought they could get out with the fewest casualties. For that I applaud them and hope they get better for the next time. Because they may not have nearly as much time the next hostage situation the Chechen's put them in.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"