Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 456 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Taxes
« on: October 31, 2002, 12:05:52 PM »
Originally posted by Curval

My friend..your "freedom" is a farce.  The most omnipotent organisation in the world is in america...namely the IRS.  They know all about you...and if they feel you haven't "pinked" up the correct amount...you go to jail.  I have no such restriction of my freedom to conduct business.
Who lives in a country where you do not have to pay taxes?

In those countries where you do have to pay taxes, what happens if you don't?

I found this statement to be one of the most incredibly niave things I've ever read.

AKDejaVu

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Taxes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 12:47:05 PM »
Don't even ask about the taxes we gotta pay up here. It's a total joke.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Taxes
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 01:11:17 PM »
Brunei

http://www.brunei.gov.bn/

They dont allow immigrants though.

We pay far less then Europe......

my mom worked for the irs for a long time. They only enforce the laws that are given to them. The irs has been reformed somewhat. You dont automatically go to jail. Most people settle with the irs for far less then they actually owe.

You dont like giving your money away? never vote for a liberal.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 01:16:29 PM by Wotan »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: Taxes
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 01:21:40 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
Who lives in a country where you do not have to pay taxes?

I found this statement to be one of the most incredibly niave things I've ever read.

AKDejaVu

Funny, but lazs agreed with me (and he was the guy I was arguing with).

What exactly is so naive about it?  It is a fact.

See lower down in the same thread you took that from and you will see how taxes are paid here.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Taxes
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 02:22:24 PM »
curval... I don't think deja is a real fan of the IRS either.   Pretty hard to find anyone who would vote to keep the IRS.  
lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Taxes
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 02:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
my mom worked for the irs for a long time. They only enforce the laws that are given to them. The irs has been reformed somewhat. You dont automatically go to jail. Most people settle with the irs for far less then they actually owe.

That's because they realized that sending a perp to jail really didn't make other people pay their taxes any more than they would've without the example.  It was realized that convicts usually lose their business after their conviction and can't find gainful employment afterwards and, hence, aren't able to pay taxes anyway.  There were also a number of lawsuits for damages brought against the IRS, based on several different claims but the general idea was that the IRS had wrongfully interferred with the operation of a business and had impacted more than just the wrong-doer.  The IRS got smart and realized that they can only get their tax money if the perp is able to earn income, hence the drive to settle claims with a lump-sum payment or to spread payments out over time.

Chuck Berry went to prison.  His career ended.  Eddie Murphy is still working.  He has a new movie coming out, following a string of commercially successful films.  From whom did the IRS get its money?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Taxes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 03:11:57 PM »
no that was because there was a change in the political make up of the congress.

The irs on its own didnt decide to stop enforcing its mandate as vigorously as before. It was told to.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Taxes
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 07:21:45 PM »
Curval,

Your post about the IRS was naive on many levels... as was Lazs' reply.

You pay taxes too.  If you didn't, you would starve.  Seems your country goes about taxation on a whole new level.  Of course... I'm sure they don't do anything to property owners that don't pay their property tax either.. right?

I also like to see someone from a country that does not have the ability to be self sustaining and doesn't export anything trying to compare his tax system to a country that does.

As far as what kind of power the IRS weilds... I think you and many other would be amazed.  Who was it... Udie?  Ask him what dealing with the IRS on back taxes is like.

Man... it really was a stupid statement curval.

AKDejaVu

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Taxes
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 08:21:05 PM »
Curval,

Your post about the IRS was naive on many levels... as was Lazs' reply.

You pay taxes too.  If you didn't, you would starve.  Seems your country goes about taxation on a whole new level.  Of course... I'm sure they don't do anything to property owners that don't pay their property tax either.. right?

As far as what kind of power the IRS weilds... I think you and many other would be amazed.  Who was it... Udie?  Ask him what dealing with the IRS on back taxes is like.

Man... it really was a stupid statement curval.

AKDejaVu

I disagree that it was a stupid statement.

Your point about property taxes.  That is taxation based upon the value of a property.  Recourse in this case is swift and direct.  They take the house if a creditor is in serious default.

Income taxes are a whole different ball-game.  They are based upon your labour, not a feasable, tangible asset.  When you don't pay "the man" from the sweat off your back you catch yerself a whoopin!

Your defense of the IRS is amusing.  Without offending Udie (I'm sure he would be the first to admit it) he is extremely "small fish"...and I'll bet to cut a deal with him was nothing more than a very low level manager's signature.  Get on the wrong side of the IRS when you are talking slightly higher figures and I can assure you...a barium high-colonic would be a more pleasurable experience.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Taxes
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 08:32:00 PM »
Oh.. I see curval... it goes from being an all powerfull tyranical entity to being something that really just goes after the wealthy.  Coincidently a tactic you seemed to praise your own government for doing.

And... pssst... if someone in America defaults on a loan, they get their property siezed too... unless they are in Florida.

Loans and taxes are two separate things.  Come now.. you should know that.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Taxes
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 08:43:43 PM »
And... pssst... if someone in America defaults on a loan, they get their property siezed too... unless they are in Florida.

Or if they're hiding from regulators basing their business out of somewhere like, I dunno, Bermuda? (Tyco anyone?)

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
Taxes
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2002, 09:31:13 PM »
the only thing that bothers me is wastage, such as people on the welfare system that don't need it.  Also, foreign aid pisses me off.  I'd rather see Israel get wiped off the face of the earth then have to have some of my tax money goto them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 09:35:23 PM by Soviet »

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Taxes
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 12:03:53 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
You dont like giving your money away? never vote for a liberal.

this would be valid only if the 'conservatives' were not as free spending as the 'left'.  
a green party budget would probably spend much less than one written by bush.
vote libertarian or anarchist.
'crimes' against the IRS are the on criminal charge in which the burden of proof is on the accused, so the Gov't can send just about any waiter, cab driver or nude dancer to jail on a whim (tips).
i'd rather have them send the nude dancer 'round to my place

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Taxes
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2002, 06:30:03 AM »
Oh.. I see curval... it goes from being an all powerfull tyranical entity to being something that really just goes after the wealthy.  Coincidently a tactic you seemed to praise your own government for doing.

Loans and taxes are two separate things.  Come now.. you should know that.

AKDejaVu

What on earth your first paragraph is on about I have no idea. So I simply cannot comment.  Perhaps if you re-word it and make it relevant to what I wrote I can then respond.

As to your second and third paragrah, I was not talking about loans...where do you get that from what I wrote.  Perhaps I should spell it out...if you don't pay your property TAXES the government will take your house.  Comprende?  It is probably the same in the US.  We don't have income taxes here, which as I said before are taxes based on your labour.  

Now what is your point?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Taxes
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2002, 06:39:25 AM »
Originally posted by Fatty

Or if they're hiding from regulators basing their business out of somewhere like, I dunno, Bermuda? (Tyco anyone?)

Hiding from regulators is absolutely one reason to base one's international company in Bermuda.  Have any of you ever tried to operate a company which is conducting international business from the United States?  The environment is akin to banging your head against a "wall" of regulations and red-tape.  It is one reason that so many US companies are moving their operations outside the US.  If you want to lay blame for this, level it at your own government for making the laws that frustrate the free flow of capital and thus business around the world.

Tyco is a stain on Bermuda's reputation, I fully admit that....but the reality in that case is that an American who was running that company ripped off it's employees and shareholders through the use of bad accounting practices and fraud.  Not one Bermudian director is facing prosecution.

Speaking of fraud and bad accounting practices...can you say Worldcom?  Enron?  Talk about throwing stones in a glass house.

Jeeeze.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2002, 06:46:05 AM by Curval »