Author Topic: buff training available anywhere?  (Read 787 times)

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
buff training available anywhere?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2002, 10:33:47 PM »
Whatever you do, dont get discouraged!

With a little practice, you can take out hangers from 20k feet 90% of the time.  Its much more rewarding now that buffing requires a little skill :D

Offline Flittt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2002, 09:15:32 PM »
Very good point Soda, Thanks

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2002, 11:59:42 AM »
A couple of additional points for people looking for help in bombers.

1) Don't bother flying a formation of bombers until you master it as a single bomber.  The trick in point 3 will not work with a formation of bombers (or doesn't seem to).

2) Go into setup, offline, and turn off the flag "protect friendly objects" (or something like that).  This allows you to bomb your own structures so you don't have to worry about flying to an enemy field and facing ack.  Eventually you need to face bombing in ack, but not initially.

3) Take off, level out to gain a little speed, then open the clipboard, open the wind option, and set the vertical wind to 100+.  Don't have auto-pilot (level) on at the time or it will try and go nose down to stay level.  This will make your bomber climb like a rocket to the altitude you want to practice at.  When you get to the proper alt, open the wind settings again and set the vertical wind back to 0.  This way you can zoom to altitude quickly and practice.

4) practice with different delays and salvos.  it is important to know how a couple of these settings will affect your bomb dropping.

Add all these to the points about calibrating lots of times with the jabo sight on, and all the info in Kwessa's post and you should be able to get pretty good within an evening.  The only exception is when you bomb from above the wind level in the MA (14K) which can cause some additional wrinkles because of bomb drift.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2002, 11:47:03 PM »
Well, I had a succesful buff mission in MA tonite! I read  many of the sites listed above & still was confused. I ound a fellow countrymen & followed him on his buff run. I missed target but familiarized myself with procedure. I tried again & got shot before drop. Then on the 3rd try, also my first solo try I gave myself plenty of friendly area to get to safe 25k. Lined up 1 1/2 sects out.  Breezed in smooth & steady, calibrated, dropped, turned for home. Watched  as messages rolled on text.    Killed a con otw home & landed.     It is not as hard as it seems.     dont give up.
 Thnx to all those who helped!
Anton:D

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2002, 07:43:53 AM »
I was under the impression that

a) you can calibrate the bombsight by marking any point on land or sea, irrespective of alt, and all other things being equal, it should calibrate correctly providing you click on the target in the clipboard when in calibration mode (to set target alt)

b)the bombsight is sensitive to lateral drift, so will compensate for any crosswind. the difficulty in bombing above the windlayer is to set your course deviation so that you pass over the target; but the bombsight will, if correctly calibrated, always tell you precisely where your eggs will land.

If this is not the case will someone disabuse me of the notions above?

thx

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2002, 12:37:38 PM »
Originally posted by bounder
b)the bombsight is sensitive to lateral drift, so will compensate for any crosswind. the difficulty in bombing above the windlayer is to set your course deviation so that you pass over the target; but the bombsight will, if correctly calibrated, always tell you precisely where your eggs will land.

If you calibrate your sight correctly, the sight will compensate for any drift you are experiencing. The problem is that unless you have your course adjusted properly so that the drift puts you over your target, the course change you have to make to put the crosshairs on your target will throw off your calibration.

On the other hand, if you know your desired course to your target, you can figure the course adjustment you need to make to compensate for the drift, so your plane's ground track will be the course you want. First, look at the angle between your desired course and the wind, and then look up the angle and wind speed on the chart below to get the crosswind component  (the number below the diagonal line) and the component along your line of flight (the number above the diagonal line):

Add or subtract the component along your line of flight to your true airspeed (as appropriate, depending on where the wind is coming from), and then cross-index that speed with the crosswind component on this table:

That gives you the number of degrees that you have to turn into the wind to kill your drift. To verify that you've made the correct course change to kill the drift, when you go into calibration mode, you should not see any lateral motion of the ground in the sight view; iif you still have drift, you'll see the ground moving sideways as well as down toward the bottom of the sight.