Author Topic: Religious T-shirts  (Read 4088 times)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Religious T-shirts
« on: November 10, 2002, 12:51:03 AM »
This is something I've seen an increase of in the past few years. Every day I see someone walking around with a T-shirt or a keychain or something telling the rest of the world that they believe in God and that they will be "saved".

What gets me is the complete audacity of some of the people I meet wearing them. I once commented on one and I got a 20 minute preaching of why God is our savior and that those who don't read their Bible every day will go to Hell. (Which I didn't belive, I'm an atheist)

What exactly is the purpose of these shirts? Most if not all of them a Christian things. Remember the WWJD things a while ago? I've always wondered what these people are trying to do by wearing the shirts...

Oh well...more ramblings from the bored teen...

Semp out...

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 01:05:21 AM »
No harm in wearing a shirt depicting something you like.  If somebody likes Jebus, why not wear a t-shirt with him on it?  The key is, don't ask them about it and hopefully they won't tell you about it.  If they offer up "the word" unsolicited and tell you you're going to hell because you don't pray to their imaginary friend in the sky every day, walk away or antagonize them.  My favorite is to analyze why this imaginary friend needs so much praise or he'll damn ya...I like to offer up that he must be low on self esteem (hence the need for all of the positive re-enforcement) and should probably seek therapy.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 01:33:09 AM »
Wearing a T-shirt doesn't make one a Christian.  If they told you, you were going to Hell because you didn't read the Bible every day, then they were wrong.

You are young and haven't lived long enough to call yourself an Athiest.  Please don't judge these well-intentioned folks with the T's too harshly.  They are doing what they feel they must do.  And that's spread the news about God.  

Be wary of churches that add to or detract from the Bible in their messages, or that present any message other than Jesus Christ was and is the Son of God, sent here to die on the cross to take away our sins.  And who was resurrected and ascended into Heaven.  Christians believe in only one God through Jesus.

I'm 45 years old, but I remember when I was about your age, I had a friend who was my best friend.  I was concerned about his soul and wanted to be sure he didn't go to hell.  And I can tell you, we weren't no angels.  We smoked, drank whiskey and smoked pot together.  The one thing he did that I didn't do was take LSD.   I was so serious I was crying when I talked to him about it.  It took guts, but I really meant it, because I was truly concerned for him.  I think he respected me for it, and may have changed his life because of it.

I was 16 at the time.

Les:cool:

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 02:25:22 AM »
this one was trying to save my soul but the deal she was offering was pretty bad.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 04:22:30 AM »
If you found a way to achieve eternal life, wouldn't you want to share it with others?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 06:05:00 AM »
Leslie - I'm older than you, and a life-long atheist and the son of a Methodist Preacher.  I say let 'em wear what they want. Just don't make me wear it.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 06:13:32 AM »
You should see Salem, MA, on Halloween.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 07:02:51 AM »
Well Beet1e, at least we have something in common, I'm Methodist too.:D

Les

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 07:09:12 AM »
hehe

<< NOT methodist any more.

It's a delicate issue. My father is no longer living, but my mother is. We have to avoid the subject of religion. I might ask her if she enjoyed the Sunday morning service at her local Methodist Church, but that is all.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2002, 07:17:49 AM »
Beet1e.

Les

Offline GWH

• Zinc Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2002, 07:55:28 AM »
Texace, the surest way to avoid getting a lecture is to simply not bring it up.  Remember, their evangelical goal is to sell you on their worldview, so think of their shirts as being like Tommy Hilfiger or Nike clothing - just brand advertisement.  No big deal - they can and should do it if they want to, and so can you, although wearing clothing with an atheistic message may only end up attracting those people who bother you in the first place.  :)

In the case of unsolicited evangelism, I would suggest simply politely declining and then walking away or changing the subject.  Most of these people might mean well, but many can get downright arrogant and patronizing, and this is annoying, yet amusing, considering the nature of religious faith.  Attempting to put these people in their place via debate just breeds more hostility and you're not going to change any minds that way, as I've observed conversion (deconversion?) to atheism is a very personal thing that requires much deep thought.  

If you're serious about your atheism, I'd suggest reading good books about the subject (Smith, Martin, Nielsen, Flew, Drange, etc.) to achieve a better understanding.  Also, just be glad that in America we still have that pesky Bill of Rights which prevents these people from forcing you to believe as they do, or else.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2002, 08:08:29 AM »
Texace, you certainly are old enough to decide for yourself if you are an atheist or not.  No one can tell you what is in your head or what you believe.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2002, 08:52:36 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Texace, you certainly are old enough to decide for yourself if you are an atheist or not.  No one can tell you what is in your head or what you believe.

I'm sure Texace has chosen his college major already.  Of course Thrawn, he is mature and knowledgable enough to chose whether or not to be an athiest.

Les

Offline marauder

• Copper Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2002, 08:56:21 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
No harm in wearing a shirt depicting something you like. SOB

Hmmm, but in todays world if I were to wear something I like (a nude picture of Petra Verkaik for instance :D ) on a T-shirt, people would get on my case about it and demand I stop wearing it in public.. but something thats offensive(or not relevant) to non christians and atheists on a t-shirt is okay.  ...go figure:confused:

BTW: a post here + religion?!! eeeeeeeeeeek! run, run while you still can!:p
« Last Edit: November 10, 2002, 09:01:19 AM by marauder »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am SO far behind, I will never die!

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Religious T-shirts
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2002, 09:20:39 AM »
If this is the texace im thinking of, he is old enough to be my dad by more than a few years.

Besides, i didn't know you had to be "x" age before you can make such a decision.