Author Topic: First Person Shooter?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2002, 05:54:45 PM »
Ghost Recon has one WW2 Mod that I know of .

War of Infamy 2.0

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=1747

good luck finding a server.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2002, 05:55:40 PM »
Go download the Raven Shield (R6 3) demo.  I love this game (even though the netcode is poop).
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2002, 06:02:21 PM »
Streak the weapons models in AA are significantly more realistic than OFP, so are the comms (radio + voice + hand signals), and the AA doesn't have the limitations of OFP with regards to buildings.  OFP handles buildings terribly.  House to house fighting in OFP is so cheezy that I just deleted the game.

OFP has AFV's and aircraft which is cool though.
And the maps in OFP are bigger.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2002, 06:06:54 PM by funkedup »

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
Heres and Idea.....
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2002, 08:25:07 PM »
want a real FPS?  1-800-GO-ARMY   they give real people to shoot at pretty soon I imagine. Gaurantee to be realistic.;)

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2002, 08:49:55 PM »
OpFlash resistance (with the SEB_Nam 2 addon).

AARMY is ok, but doesn't have the scope Opfor has.

BF1942 ,Medal of Honor:AA and the like are fun if you wanna just park the brain and waste 20 mins or so.

DOD is probably the best cross between the arcade and realism online game, but the maturity of your average DOD player can leave alot to be desired.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2002, 09:06:08 PM »
ooooooo....i forgot about a gem of a game.

If you can find it try and get hidden and dangerous, it's pretty old but it's a great game.

BTW has anyone heard anything about H&D2?  I went to just about every fansite and none of them have any news more recent than 2001.:eek:   Has the game died or something?
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2002, 09:43:43 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Streak the weapons models in AA are significantly more realistic than OFP, so are the comms (radio + voice + hand signals), and the AA doesn't have the limitations of OFP with regards to buildings.  OFP handles buildings terribly.  House to house fighting in OFP is so cheezy that I just deleted the game.

OFP has AFV's and aircraft which is cool though.
And the maps in OFP are bigger.

I have been playing OFP almost daily for well over a year now, never get tired of it. Your preference for AA compared to my preference for OFP is not unlike the IL-2 vs. AH argument. To each is own... I would say the two games have different goals, but I would never brush off one as not being a sim compared to the greatness of the other. In the case of OFP, I have to strongly disagree with your opinion of AA's superiority as a hardcore sim based on my own real world experiences. House to house fighting is a rather small shortcoming compared to the big picture... most battles are fought in fields and forests. The focus of OFP is finding good cover and using good tactics: overlapping fields of fire, careful aimed fire vs full auto, cover fire while moving, etc. Everything I was trained to do works in OFP (except for bayonet fighting :(). Stand up in open ground and you are dead.

Realism is in the eye of the beholder. I have fired the M-16 on ranges and in combat training.

When I play Flashpoint, the M-16 looks and feels right regardless of any calculated values. With a user made soundpack (as with AH) it even sounds perfect. I get what I want out of an infantry sim: total immersion. The large islands with total freedom of choice and well scripted missions that give the AI the illusion of being almost real... I find it to be exceptional at total immersion aside from a few glitches in the way things "bounce". The latest Vietnam addon is staggering when you take a Huey over a VC occupied territory or vice versa... are on the ground as VC when Hueys show up. Having the vehicles whether they are jeeps, tanks, or helos does much to add to immersion regardless of the flaws in their modeling (once again the way AH has vehicles and ships despite simplified models).

From the very first shot I fired in AA, I was pissed off that  an official Army sim could get it so wrong. In all the thousands of rounds I have fired through M-16s and AR-15s, I don't believe the recoil ever pulled the weapon to the right... it can't!!! In fact, I am far more accurate with the real rifle despite my trigger pull and breathing errors than this sim permits with the sterile video game environment. I never make it past training because I always turn around and shoot the instructor and quit to go play something I like. How good a sim can it be if both sides think they are American, but see the other side as terrorists? Imagine playing AH like that... You always think you are an American, but your F4U can't ever outrun a Zero because while you see a Zero, the enemy is flying an F4U and thinks you are a Zero... Now tell me how much better a sim AA is again?

A lot more to a simulation than basic ballistics mechanics and graphics. OFP has a lot more to offer in the long run than run'n'shoot. Every aspect from simple patrols to very large scale battles. Even one user designed mission "Siberian Fox" where you are a Russian equivalent to James Bond (the scripting is that powerful that almost anything can be modeled if someone takes the time). OFP isn't perfect, but like AH it is well supported and keeps on improving. The USMC decided it was good enough to buy it for actual combat training. To me, it simply has the best feel of any of the M-16 based infantry sims.

House-to-house tactics on small maps = Quake :p
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2002, 10:48:41 PM »
Agree with Streak.  OFP/Resistance  is the best combat sim around.  "House-to-House" fighting is in every Quake-based FPS in existence(see MOHAA).   OFP has awesome battles over forested/open terrain which can include armor, helos, and aircraft plus squads of troops.  OFP's "House-to-House" fighting is adequate enough.   But as has been said, it takes a pretty good system to run the big battles in OFP well.........

Once you have tried the rest, try the best.  Operation Flashpoint-Resistance...........

Cabby

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2002, 12:03:07 AM »
OFP-Res.
The one big weakness is the damage model.
As for house-to-house, yeah it sucks with the original game, but that's largely due to some poor config choices with hand grenades (indirecthitrange is _Way_ too high).
By the way, I've been playing with NP2 lately, and it's an impressive improvement gameplay-wise.  They boosted dispersion on the weapons, so full squads engage and the bullets fly.  The IHR of the grenades, mortar shells and thumpguns is reduced, so you can't clear buildings by popping one on the roof.  Plus, if you play with my little shrapnel toys (like claymores), being behind cover (like a bump in terrain, a rock, a building, a body) makes a helluva lot of difference.
THe overall effect is pretty darn cool.  When they start shooting at you, you usually have time to take cover before being hit.  The whole squad gets on line.  Fixed MGs are behind sandbags and far more accurate, making them the long-range threats they should be.  I wrote a little mission where a battery of 105s preps LZ-Xray.  Right as the last shell splashes,  4 ARA ships pull up, and saturate the edges of the LZ.  As they pull off, two waves of 4 hueys come in at treetop, and plop two platoons of Aircav on X-ray in 30 seconds.  One platoon secures the LZ, while the other advances towards Chu Pong in echelon left (left being the uphill side).  The rightmost element makes contact with the Recon/Security element of the defenses, causing the AI to commit the reserve units.  The other AirCav folks attack from on high, while the far group flanks around and tries to take out the position (with pits for a dshk and a 60mm mortar).  That mortar's more scary than lethal, but the dshk usually gets about a squad before it's neutralized.  As that site is cleared up, the enemy counterattacks on the LZ.  Kill them, and the hueys come back in and take everybody home.

The next improvement will be an aircraft pack.  They've got a version of the Spad more or less ready, but I need to give them proper napalm (tumbling bombs, fireball, smoke, burning patches, crispy bodies, the works).  Since the "whizzing shrapnel through the air" coding necessary for a CBU is already written, I'll probably throw that in too.
Mm.. and I need to do some decent-looking WP anyway....

yeah, OFP/Res's strengths are the size of the battlefields and engagements, and the versatility its scripting/mod system offers us.  Its weaknesses are: well, the graphics engine is about a year out of date (and being optimized for long view ranges, doesn't have all the fanciness of the "bandbox" games), the damage system could be better, the AI is optimized for infantry (which means helos and tanks have trouble spotting inf. platoons 1000 m away, and planes have trouble hitting waypoints), and the default infantry units are much better shots than they should be (so the maximum distance a guy with an AK74 will fire at an infantry guy is 250m, but when he fires at that range, he hits).  There's not much we can do about the graphics (but I still think they're plenty good), but skillful mission editing can take care of the AI, and NP2 fixes the engagement issues.

It would still be nice to have a grenade that works the way it should (like in the Rainbow Six franchise).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 12:11:28 AM by Dinger »

Offline tically2

• Zinc Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2002, 02:22:18 AM »
Day of defeat has announced somewhere that they have teamed with valve and are making a port for the Half Life 2 Engine news should be on the http://www.dayofdefeatmod.com site.

Also would have to agree about above threads and OFP is a great sim and would only wish they had higher server limits for online play although haven't really trried as of yet but appears only few 15 or players on one server at a time although could be wrong just my impression.

If anyone could drop a link to any WW2 mods for any version of OFP would really appreciate it as I would definitely play the game again if could get a hold of these.  I have only seen pics and info on these mods but cannot find them for download or when they will become available if not already thanks in adavance for/if any help and have fun gaming y'all

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2002, 02:44:05 AM »
try these for starters:
http://www.ofp.info
http://www.ofp-zone.de

Or follow the avon lady's faq.
http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

or just check out the addons -- complete section of the official bbs ( at http://www.flashpoint1985.com)

OFPEC is where the nerds are.

As far as I know, there are some WW2 mods out there, but there's not (yet)  a "complete package" out there like for vietnam.
http://www.invasion1944.com for example is still far away from release.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 02:56:11 AM by Dinger »

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2002, 03:37:01 AM »
The ones I like the most are Quake ]|[ - based - try

True Combat  - It has no magic crosshair ! Either aim from the hip, or with your weapons modeled sights in "tactical" mode. Very fun, plus insulting voice messages ("You piece of toejam !" ratatata "diddly you, motherdiddlyer !" bang - bang). Nice physics modeling, too.

Navy Seals Quake  is a beefed-up Counterstrike, without all the annoying stuff in CS. Good damage/weapon modeling, no bunny jumping, gives a very good feeling of tactical assault. Teamplay rules.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2002, 05:43:02 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Swoop for INF, AA owns OFP.  No contest at all.
GR is maybe a little off in realism from OFP but the graphics are so much better.
I'm talking strictly INF here.  For combined arms OFP rules obviously.

We're in agreement for a change.  ;)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2002, 09:43:31 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I asked the same question not too long ago.  I'm going to d/l America's Army (hey, its free) as soon as I get over my Aces High addiction.

Started downloading last night after getting my butt kicked in the Baltic by the Rooks.  America's Army is 3 files, about 100Mb each.  After starting the download of the first file, I realized it would take 45 minutes per file so I canceled the d/l and will do it again tonight when I can monitor the d/l process.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
First Person Shooter?
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2002, 10:36:31 AM »
ok you guys me interested..  going to grab a copy of OFP today..