Author Topic: To the guys that have been here awhile  (Read 3407 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
To the guys that have been here awhile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2002, 08:01:42 AM »
hahem ...
What you are saying Verm is that you feel like a dinausor ?

Running away ... :p

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Re: two words
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2002, 08:02:55 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
Combat Theater :)

Unfortunately, my visits to CT been quite worse than MA in almost every measure (especially in the ganging department).

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: two words
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2002, 08:06:07 AM »
Originally posted by Turbot
Unfortunately, my visits to CT been quite worse than MA in almost every measure (especially in the ganging department).

my advice would be to wait for company or pick ur battles more carefully - 9 to 10 pm on weeknites, even later on weekends - CT can't be beat - that is unless you NEED 20 countrymen surrounding you to get a kill :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2002, 08:14:27 AM »
Some guys flying in a squad in there "...but, but we are a squad we have to fly together, etc etc etc...." like that makes it OK or something.  (Quite a rude bunch too - no thanks, been there done that.)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2002, 11:43:44 AM »
Originally posted by thrila
Lol!! I hope you're joking!:D There's usually atleast one US fighter in every setup- even if there was none historically but just to add "variety" to the setup.

Here's the allies planes for the last 4 setups-
This week
F6F, SBD, TBM, P-47D-11 & D-25, P-38L, P-40E, Boston-III, A-20
Week before
P40E ,IL2, LA5, Yak - both models, Bost II, B26, A20
Week before that
P40E,Huricane MK I,Boston,
Week before that
F6f5, TBM, SBD, FM2
US aircraft are anything but under represnted in the CT.

I stand corrected, and thanks for the follow-up.

perhaps I was only referring to F4U-s and PJs and Ponies....it SEEMED to me I have been flying an awful lot of Hurri2c's  or other's each squad night for the past several weeks I was able to attend. I guess I missed the good weeks.; In any event, I am burned out, and jaded. That's not my idea of RnR from work...so I'm on an extended hiatus...

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2002, 11:51:25 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
exactly.  
i just hope that i can piss people off enough with my taunts to make them say to themselves "by cod, i'm gonna get good enough to shut that idiot shane up on my own merits!"
pipe dream, i know.
:rolleyes:

Exactly, I also had to taunt people into a 1-1...and that's not me, I didn't like what I had to do to get a decent fight.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2002, 01:47:17 PM »
Hell...  Straffo I AM a Dinosaur ! ;)

I'll be in touch soon about that Mirage III information.  I've been busy with my job lately.

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2002, 04:27:25 PM »
Originally posted by Vermillion
I've been busy with my job lately.

Your priorities are boviously outta whack :).

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2002, 01:27:53 AM »
feel free to mail me Verm :)

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2002, 06:39:43 AM »
Wotan - welcome to the nightmare.  :)

AW went through *exactly* the same growing pains but it didn't have the time (or the will) to find a solution. I think I heard it best expressed that "The landgrab should be a *vehicle* to promote Air Combat as opposed to the be all end all of the game."

However correct the above statement may be, the problem remains that a whole lotta players "like" the stratego land-grab and that can't be ignored either, it puts fannies in the seats.

First thing HTC could do is find a way to not reward abberant behavior like suicide missions. Of course there has to be a way to differentiate a "suicide" run as opposed to lousy planning. :)

Now, to really take a page out of an old musty book.....

The old AW1 had some maps where only the center of the map had capturable bases. As opposed to land grabbing the *entire* map, the objective of a team was to capture and hold this central area. Other bases could be "closed" but not taken.  Attacking the strat targets of the team that held the middle would weaken thier means to continue to hold the middle. Perhaps a bigger version of a map like that, with the "objective" being for a country to hold that area for 12 hours straight to force a reset, could work out. I really dunno. It's one thing to "win the war" but that's a finite point in time. Capturing and HOLDING turf (over time) is a slightly different game. The map would have to be designed so that the team currently owning the middle was "spread a little thin" by virtue of having to allocate resources to maintain the controll. If it takes 1/2 your side to maintain controll, you have less people available to defend your strat - yada yada.

(I will editorialise a sec and say that this is not an unrealistic model for a "war game". IE in many wars the objective isn't to drive your opponent into the sea, it's merely to assert (and maintain) controll over a "disputed area". There exists an understanding that the countries themselves will continue to exist.)

What I do know is that the problem was not solved as AW grew bigger. The Big Pac map was good - but it also got knicknamed the "Big Pork" - because the land grab, (and the abberant player behavior a total land grab spawns) took center stage. There was constant friction between the "pure ACM dweebs - and the "stratego wannabe's". Not at all unlike what's going on in the MA now except that I believe that there *may* be a solution if HTC is willing to hunt for it. As I said before, AW lacked the time (or the will) to ever solve this issue - so theres no history to tap.

The trick will be, to both design a map, and gameplay rules, to thwart people from merely "gaming the game" to achieve an objective, yet providing an objective that somehow rewards good ACM over silly gameism.

It's still virgin turf..............

-W

(PS:  Allowing players to perma-squelch individuals on channel 1 would stop a lot of the whining about silly loudouths)

Originally posted by Wotan

I never viewed AH as something that can be "won". Resets always happened but the base capture seemed a side show to the a2a war. Now we have whole groups of folks who only play the  land grab reset game. They take the paths of least resistance whether it be undefended fields or suicide runs.

People wonder why ostwinds get the majority of the kills in ah. Its because everyone is busy killing themselves in the great land grab going for that reset.

Folks would rather die to ack or auger before fighting. [/B]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
two more words
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2002, 06:44:01 AM »
Combat Theater

(CT marketing director :))
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2002, 07:44:10 AM »
Originally posted by Ratbo

- because the land grab, (and the abberant player behavior a total land grab spawns) took center stage. There was constant friction between the "pure ACM dweebs - and the "stratego wannabe's".

Ya know... I never really saw it that way.  I mean there was allotta crap going on but I just never saw it get that (this) bad in AW.  Of course.... the last 9mo or so AW was alive I was almost never there, did it degenerate THAT bad in those last months??  I really don't know.

VERM... sent you and email.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Catching Spies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2002, 08:00:12 AM »
AH is a game for enjoyment I don't take it serious I don't care who is better than me... personaly I find 250+ arenas very boring I would like to see the community grow to 5k online 24/7.  Most of the hard core players are very good, even the medium player is better than most... this presents a problem for new players who want to experience immediate success.

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2002, 08:04:07 AM »
Come on.....you must have heard the term "Big Pork" and reference to the "Pork and auger dweebs" ??  Both were born out of the same issues Wotan adressed.  I don't think it was the last months - it was when the Big Pac was at it's peak. The "fightertown atoll" was the attempted solution - more of a band-aid.

-W

Originally posted by Tumor
Ya know... I never really saw it that way.  I mean there was allotta crap going on but I just never saw it get that (this) bad in AW.  Of course.... the last 9mo or so AW was alive I was almost never there, did it degenerate THAT bad in those last months??  I really don't know.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2002, 08:41:08 AM »
Originally posted by Ratbo

The old AW1 had some maps where only the center of the map had capturable bases. As opposed to land grabbing the *entire* map, the objective of a team was to capture and hold this central area. Other bases could be "closed" but not taken

This produced a problem in game play often referred to as the "disney land" effect.........  2 sides at the end of one of the rivers battling it out whilst a third far away watched on.......... or flew for 40 mins to get to the action

The Big Pac map was good - but it also got knicknamed the "Big Pork" - because the land grab,

Big pork came from the fact that a player could (in AW3)carry out a suicide raid on an enemy fuel silo and "pork" the quality of fuel such that its octane level was reduced......and all players upping (with the exception of the 109F) would fly poor performance planes.......... hence land grabbers would pork fuel of any field they intended to capture........this was later resolved.

AW lacked the time (or the will) to ever solve this issue -

Infact it lacked the tools...........making a terrain was a massive job...........

The trick will be, to both design a map, and gameplay rules, to thwart people from merely "gaming the game" to achieve an objective, yet providing an objective that somehow rewards good ACM over silly gameism.

agreed...........in the MA balance is about game play and creating conditions for optimal combat.......... I believe that HTC are doing just that..........they have the tools to do it.........they can adjust stuff............try stuff.......... what they have said they will try next seems very logical.........

Be sure there is a large group of players who are very much into winning the land grab.........they enjoy it ...............just go to the MA and watch...........

HTC's challenge is to make something for every one without splitting stuff up............ the gap between RR & FR was a serious problem for AW............ AW also had a fighter only arena which after an initial spell became just what the duelling arena is here.........

I do believe the MA seriously needs a field limit (AW's zone limit) to spread stuff out more, reduce mass raids from one single field etc etc
Ludere Vincere