Author Topic: To the guys that have been here awhile  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
To the guys that have been here awhile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2002, 07:41:44 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Its still not impossible to get a 1v1 in MA you just gotta try and tease 1 away from a gang bang by looking like an easy kill.
Problem is it takes time and you gotta look like your running to hook em far enough away from the crowd.
As for the MA sometimes i log off in disgust and go read a book, i have no interest in raping or being raped and its very rare you catch me vulching as thats not what i consider a fight.
You will usually find me fighting away from my squad for the simple reason i prefer not to gang the Rooks.
A good fight was definitely easier to find when the numbers were lower.I reckon the mass land grab and gang banging is driven by those less skilled and noobs, safety in numbers kinda thing.

exactly.  this is why you see me going off about lamer ganger dweebs... i work hard to pull 1 or 2 away from the lemming trail, often by being at a disadvantage in some manner. yet... because the lemmings won't stray tooooo far from that trail, there will always be a few more lemmings desperate and eager to kill something that isn't immobile and come tearing in to gang me while i'm already working on giving 1 or 2 an exciting time.

i just hope that i can piss people off enough with my taunts to make them say to themselves "by cod, i'm gonna get good enough to shut that idiot shane up on my own merits!"

pipe dream, i know.

:rolleyes:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2002, 08:33:41 PM »
I've been over here since May from WB. Leaving an empty arena to a full one was a great change.

Not to say those rare nights when all the old timers were up furballin over the channel and you new every one of them on both sides. The smack floweth. Good time, but rare. One on ones were easy to find, good fights, good times. But an empty arena does not make the juices flow.

My kind of fight is here. Fly for a squad that enjoys the fight as I do. Have a great time. The trick is to find the fight because they're out there.

Some nights you find them, some nights you don't. Had a few good ones lately.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2002, 12:59:05 AM »
Some things to think on...

It is one thing to learn about the past; it is another to wallow in it.
Kenneth Auchincloss

Nostalgia is a seductive liar.
George W. Ball

The past always looks better than it was because it isn't here.
Finley Peter Dunne

...and some sage advice from a pop icon...
Say goodbye to the oldies, but goodies, because the good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.
Billy Joel

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2002, 04:02:57 AM »
I liked the game most pre-AW-influx. No offense to the former AW players, I would have come to AH as well, ;)

The game changed from a combat flight sim to a Lemmings invasion game.

And I agree with Wotan, the big map didn't just give room for 300+ players, it gave way for milk running to polish up the overall rank, :eek:

I flew allot in the pre-1.08 versions, now I fly less and less.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2002, 04:39:49 AM »
What a lot of whining, you all sound like AW-Dos vets bewailing the influx of AOL dweebs. Over time you've all got exactly what you've whined for and you still don't like it.m (and ain't the CT proof of that!)

The BS over "atmosphere" in the MA is just that - BS. The MA (and AH as a whole) is a lot more friendly and clique free today than it was in the days of "wish it was Warbirds".

As for events: What a load of codswallop. The Axis were outnumbered in Sicily, and we won. The Allies were outnumbered in BoB, and we won.

Guess what? I'm going to win Nieman too, and then you'll have to find another whine.

Nutless rutabagas.

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2002, 05:23:22 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker

Nutless rutabagas.

Feel the power of the dark side Luke.

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2002, 06:00:30 AM »
The BS over "atmosphere" in the MA is just that - BS. The MA (and AH as a whole) is a lot more friendly and clique free today than it was in the days of "wish it was Warbirds".

Utter rubbish. I started playing 2 and half years ago and things were much more friendly. Channel 1 was nowhere near as bad then as it was now. The proportion of nutjobs seemed to have risen dramatically - or maybe they are just more vocal - it's hard to tell.

AH has always been very open. From the very first day I played, people were always willing to lend a hand. How an arena can have a clique is beyond me...

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2002, 06:30:58 AM »
Seem's to me a few people are suffering from what I like to call "MMOG Tunnel-vision".  

I've got some serious complaints about Aces High of late.  Spit and Lala hordes... suicide JABO/Buffs.....  The Pizzacrap map.... Facestudmuffin N1K's... Ganger-lamers.... etc etc... the list goes on.  Got to the point I was irritated before my first launch...

I used to be the same way in AW.  After awhile I got to where I found the game was more irritating than fun.....

SO I TAKE A BREAK[/size]

It's a great remedy, I figure allot of folks around here ought to give it some thought.  If you find you don't like it, but love it...just take a break and find something else for awhile.  I haven't launched a plane in AH in close to two weeks (very long time for me over the last 9yrs or so... at least by choice)... and I don't miss it a bit....yet.  My "love of the moment" is OpFlash, It's damn fun.  I will eventually wake up one day and find my addiction to Aces High is back in full swing and have a GOOD TIME flying and not give a crap about all the irritating little things. I'll get the bug and be in there full time again having the time of my life.

I made a serious complaint to the folks at Kesmai over AW once, stating I was thinking about quitting the game.  The reply I got was a suprise... "We'd hate to see you go but we'd rather see you quit than not have fun"....good advice.

One thing about other games... after awhile, "There's always Aces High"... and I'd like to thank HTC and staff for that.

.....take a break, it does wonders.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2002, 08:29:25 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
It turns them mostly into low alt furball fighting.

It is how the scoring is set up, guys are just playing the game as designed.   It is really just that simple.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2002, 09:31:09 AM »
Originally posted by Oedipus

Look what happened to AW (it's shamefull slide into being an RR arcade game and no significant improvement or advancement to it for 12 yrs) and look where it is right now.

Oed

The demise of AW had nothing to do whatsoever with the player base.  It had to do with Electronic Arts love muffines and thier tendency to ruin any flight-sim they come into contact with.  Electronic Arts HAS (had) the resources to do wonders with AW... they just didn't, because IMO they put greenbacks ahead of "anything" and the console kiddies have more to offer, lots more.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2002, 09:31:22 AM »
Originally posted by Oedipus

Look what happened to AW (it's shamefull slide into being an RR arcade game and no significant improvement or advancement to it for 12 yrs) and look where it is right now.

Oed

3 points in one sentence.  Two of them wrong.  You are 33% correct :).

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
one word
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2002, 09:56:10 AM »
CT
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2002, 09:57:08 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker
What a lot of whining, you all sound like AW-Dos vets bewailing the influx of AOL dweebs. Over time you've all got exactly what you've whined for and you still don't like it.m (and ain't the CT proof of that!)

As for events: What a load of codswallop. The Axis were outnumbered in Sicily, and we won. The Allies were outnumbered in BoB, and we won.

Guess what? I'm going to win Nieman too, and then you'll have to find another whine.

Nutless rutabagas.

Isnt the entire concept of a "nutless popsicle" absurd? I mean...to have one..you dont have the other. And IF you do have both well...thats just wierd.

Maybe its an attempt to point out ones lack of "bravery..manhood extra". In a video game? OMG...THE LITTLE GHOSTY DUDEi s GONNA EAT ME (ie PACMAN, the yellow chopper dude)!!! RUNNNNNN. "Golly-geen your a stinking coward for running from that icecream looking squeak."

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2002, 10:03:16 AM »
one word
CT

Eagler

I don't know Eagler, maybe I've just been unluky but in at least half of the few times I've ventured into the CT, I've encountered exactly the same behaviors. The CT, for me at least, was like the pizza before the pizza arrived. The 109e running to ack over the "German Fleet" from my low Hurricane, and joining a buddy there who was also menaced by a sole Hurrican without an e advantage was my last experience there.

Charon

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2002, 10:17:26 AM »
[I miss the fact that fights use to actually be spread out.

Fields limits....................... .... (elsewhere called zone limits)

an arena adjustable setting that sets the maximum number of players that can be inflight having spawned from any one field at any one time................

a) limits size and source of uber missions

b) forces stuff to be spread across and behind front lines when arenas are busy.........

c) naturally keeps stuff away from the 32 plane limit
Ludere Vincere