Author Topic: Abatic is a chute shooter  (Read 4717 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Abatic is a chute shooter
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2002, 10:45:04 AM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
Can you not read as well?

let me break it down for you......

1. you claim abatic is a chute shooter
2. i was in a chute yesterday, right in front of abatic, right after he shot me down.
3. he didn't shoot my chute.

why? was my chute not plump and tempting? was it not fortified with chutey goodness?

there was a time when 3 or 4 pilots at once would want a crack at my chute, now i can't even get a nibble....

:(

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2002, 11:04:39 AM »
oh god.....i'm gonna need more popcorn.

p.s. chute shooting is an artform. don't dabble in that which you do not know.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2002, 11:38:16 AM »
Actually when abatic shot him he wasn't in a chute, he was on the ground . Not that it matters, a pilot is a target untill he's either a prisoner or dead .

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2002, 12:04:58 PM »
Well, let me hold your hand and walk you through the replys...

First:
When I fly in the CT one of my goals is not to get killed
 From Pangea and is my reason.

Second:
It was apparent to me that you were acting as a forward air controller - directing your squad in attacking me. I chose to end that function.
 It was not me he shot but a squad mate. Abatic thought he was being a foward controller and asured us he was not a chute shooter.

So the next time you read a post, how abouit read the whole damn thing. You would have answered your own questions.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2002, 12:56:02 PM »

Isn't that everyones goal in any arena ?

You're avoiding the question . You didn't come on the bb to berate abatic for shooting you down . You're here becasue you got pissy when he straffed you on the ground . Your goal is  not to get killed, well you did . Who's fault is that ?  

Fact- You're here publicly putting him down because he straffed you on the ground .

Why ?

You said it's because one of your goals is not to get killed .

So ? The reason you are so angry about it that you couldn't refrain from this fit on the bb is becasue when you fly in the CT one of your goals is not to get killed ?

Somehow I think that if you're plane had exploded without giving you a chance to bail out it wouldn't have made you as angry, even though your goal in the CT is not to get killed. Now why is that ?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 01:07:20 PM by Samm »

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2002, 01:25:54 PM »
First:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Pangea and is my reason.

Hawk,
You are saying that no one should kill you because its not one of YOUR goals?  That doesn't make sense.  We all play this game so that we can "kill" each other.  It’s OK to kill someone when they are in a plane, GV or boat right?

The only difference between killing a guy in his chute and killing him any other time is that he is defenseless and poses no threat in his chute.  By not shooting him when he is in his chute; we are only pretending to be chivalrous, we are only pretending to be humane.  If you lose the fight and have to bail, what does it matter if you “survive” or “die”?  You lost either way.  Fair, or not.

In reality, in war, your goal is to eliminate your enemy when he poses the least threat to you and your country, when it will pose the least risk upon yourself.  If you could sneak into an enemies’ airbase, in the middle of the night and kill all of their pilots by bombing their barracks while they slept, you would be doing your country a great service, there would be no dishonor in it.  
I have read, in many sources, that approximately 80% of all air-to-air kills in WWII were bounces.  Pilots didn’t fire warning shots to wake the enemy, to give them a fair chance, they killed while they held the advantage of surprise.  This game simulates war, and is not meant to always be fair.

Imagine that you are a Russian fighter pilot in WWII.  You’ve been hunting for Erich Hartman for months.  He has killed many of your comrades and will probably kill many more.  
Then one day you find him.  You quickly realize that you are out-matched.  But you land a lucky Hail-Mary snap shot, his wing breaks off, and he bails.  He opens his chute and you realize that he is floating safely down into his own territory, only to fight you and your comrades another day.  If he lives, he will probably shoot down and kill another 100+ of your country’s pilots and planes, maybe even yourself.  You’re not going to shoot him in his chute in this situation?  If you do, you kill an enemy soldier, its part of your duty.  If you don’t, you’re probably sentencing 100 or so of your countrymen to death, not to mention the loss of resources. Then there’s the trickle down effect of how many Russian infantrymen and tankers will be saved by all of the damage that those IL-2s would have been able to inflict on German tanks and troops had Harman lived, to shoot them down.

You would have shot him in his chute, we all would have.

But this is only a game.  What each of us does perhaps only simulates in our minds what we would have done had we been pilots in WWII.  Clearly we all have different motives for all that we do, and our motives can even change from minute to minute.  Some of us, at times, play for immersion.  But why do care that someone else has a different view on such a situation at a particular moment?  As I have illustrated above, there are times when it is your duty to shoot an enemy pilot in his chute.  In this game, there are many who like to watch chutes turn into 100’ fireballs just for a laugh.  And then there are players who just get a kick out of watching enemy players go ballistic on channel 1 over something they view as a non-issue.  I have to admit, even though I (generally) don’t shoot chutes, I do get a good laugh when players freak-out on channel 1 over being shot in their chutes.  It’s just so silly to get upset over this.  
It’s just a game.
It’s just a game.
It’s just a game.

eskimo

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2002, 02:17:58 PM »
Im surprised this is still going but its good reading anyway. I dont think anyone really disputes the real life applications of what you said eskimo. But in the game, some of us look down on chute shooting for reasons already stated. Thats our opinion. If some disagree fine. Nothing we can do about. I guess it is to much to ask for a little mutual respect in here.

BTW Samm, you got to be kidding. No way in hell did you read every post then ask "why does being shot in a chute bother people?".

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2002, 02:28:21 PM »
No I'm not kidding and nobody has answered my question yet .

They think it's "chickenshit" and bad and dishonorable etc. but nobody yet has answered why they think that .

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2002, 02:38:38 PM »
Here's what I think, people get pissed off when someone else shoots their guy in a video game because they're taking it personally .

How funny is that ?

If chute shooting bothers you, you really need to get a grip . When you do you will see the humor in it like the rest of us .

This is in reality a "so'n so won't fly the way I want him to" thread .

The way a guy responds to being shot in a chute is revealing .

If he's cool when he's blown to  bits he'll get a chuckle out of it like I do.

If he's square he'll get all pissy, and go throw his sand box minatures around .

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2002, 02:53:46 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27

BTW Samm, you got to be kidding. No way in hell did you read every post then ask "why does being shot in a chute bother people?".

I agree with Samm, no one has given a GOOD explanation as to why not shoot chutes.  And remember, this is coming from a non-chute shooter.

As far as "I guess it is to much to ask for a little mutual respect in here. " goes,... remember, mutual respect is a two way street.  We ALL interpret this game differently.  Why not respect those who chose to shoot chutes?  Asking all to "respect" how you (or even many) want to play the game is assuming that your thinking is the right way, when clearly there is no "right" way, because its only a game.

If I thought that it wasn't cool for anyone to shoot me when I flew a C-47 and had a big hissy-fit whenever someone did, how would everyone take that?  They'd call me a big silly whiner.  Yet when it comes to chutes, the community is divided.  Why?

Have you ever wondered why chutes are killable?  They don't have to be.  HTC could make them impervious to gunfire, but they didn't.  The are intentionally made to be killable.

eskimo

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2002, 04:18:28 PM »
Originally posted by Samm
Fact- You're here publicly putting him down because he straffed you on the ground .
Why ?
You said it's because one of your goals is not to get killed .

i'm just wondering why he didn't .ef as soon as he hit the ground?

if you stand around admiring the sheep... well, i'd shoot 'em on general principle because they're *my* sheep!!   avert your  gaze!!!  :mad:

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2002, 04:27:54 PM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
Mr Fish, blah de blah de blah blah

My god, you are special!  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2002, 04:39:51 PM »
Samm are you a (edited) ?

I DID NOT GET SHOT DOWN AND IT WAS NOT ME IN A CHUTE THAT GOT SHOT ALTHOUGH THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME MANY TIMES.

IT WAS A SQUAD MATE THAT THIS HAPPENED TO. IF YOU WILL GO BACK AND READ YOU WILL FIND OUT WHO IT WAS THAT THIS HAPPENED TO AND WHY THIS POST SURFACED TO BEGIN WITH.

BEFORE THIS HAPPENED I WAS ACCUSED BY ABATIC OF SOMETHING ELSE AND I COULD NOT DISCUSS THIS WITH HIM BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO TALK TO ME.

This is a game but this is the "Combat Arena" not the Main Arena. Many of us take the CT quit seriously.

I don't have the right to sit here and yell at guys for some of the things I have done myself (but never a chute shooter) but what I can do is tell everyone how WRONG I was and how we, the players, can change the CT for what it should be.

If you want to shoot chutes, fly full throttle all the time, take off out across the grass, kill yourself while making a kami attack in a P-47 , 190 or whatever, then keep your pathetic "gaming" ideas in the MA or some other arenas.

We try to fly the CT with the thoughts of the guys that actually fought during these times. We try to respect one another for each others thoughts but continue to try to change for the better of the ARENA.

Out of respect for you guys, I don't log into the MA and try to get you guys to fly like we do in the CT, and I expect the same from you. Don't log into the CT and bring your MA practices in there.

I do have a mouth on me and I can yell in a split second but that itself is disrespectful and is another reason for this post.

I am trying to change the way I act in here, as well as trying to get folks NOT TO ack as I use to and some times still do.

I am not wishy washy or two faced, just a guy that is trying to play a serious game in a serious arena with other serious players.

I am angry that I can not explain myself in a better or more professional way. I would however, request that you guys (including myself) respect the CT for what it's REGULAR players try to make it.

Samm, Abatic Forgive me for my disrespect, can I earn yours?

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2002, 05:02:51 PM »
It’s OK to kill someone when they are in a plane, GV or boat right?

NO! I am eliminating the weapon not the person operating it. If he is killed in it, thats war but if he bails, its murder. When his feet hit the ground, his hands better be up or he has become a threat. Pending the threat, he the person may have to be then eliminated. Its a touchy subject I know.

I dont normaly fly in the CT just to shoot something that some one else is in. I think my squad mates can back me up on that statement. Many time I pass up a con that is no threat to me, my squad mates, or our mission objective.

Normally when you see me in a GV its due to my frame rate being shot to toejam. Again, I hope my squad mates can back me up on that statement. When I do decide to screw around in an M16 or Ostwin, I try to choose a field so as to not to bother the other fighters, players etc.

However, If I am opposed where ever I choose to go, I will shoot whatever threatens me..boat, plane GV..NOT THE PERSON....AND IS WHERE I MET ABATIC which has already been explained in this "Thread"

I DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, I DESTROY OBJECTS and WEAPONS of WAR. Shooting a chute is killing a person. If that person climbs back into an airplane and shoots down my brother, he was not killing my brother, he was eliminating the weapon. If he shoots my brothers chute, then its MURDER and God will deal with him directly....if you are a religious person.

Whats the diferance between this game and the real wars?
I dont know, I have never been in a war.

I would rather not be shot in my chute and I hope others change thier minds and do the same. Do not ever give me a and then shoot my chute or anyone elses. You will be a hypocrite. My bail shoud be just as good as my fight.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 05:10:18 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2002, 05:07:40 PM »
Well at least you responded in a calm coherent manner and didn't flip out :D

You seem to be telling people that they should fly the way you want them too while in the CT . For whatever bizarre reason you have this idea that shooting other players in chutes is bad. Me and eskimo have flown in the CT since it's inception, we have no delusions that, that in some way gives us a right to preach what is the right way to fight . As for respect, well I've never met you, and I don't know you outside of AH . The only thing that will cause you to loose respect with your peers are your typed words. Not what or how you shoot at or don't in a silly video game .