Author Topic: Is Someone Hacking My PC?..Help!  (Read 1006 times)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Is Someone Hacking My PC?..Help!
« on: December 14, 2002, 11:48:13 AM »
I have been having this problem this last week.I fly for 20 minutes or so,then my PC starts making noises like it's installing a program and my frame rate tanks...Everytime...I'll be in the middle of a fight and then PC starts churning and my FPS's chugging.

Is someone accessing my hard-drive?I have scan-disced,defragged,done Reg Clean.No spyware detected

Is it a system problem and I'm paranoid,or am I being probed?

Appreciate any help..Thnx.

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Jagv81st

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 01:00:37 PM »
Good question SirLoin.  Do you have dial up or cable? Dial up would be a bit harder to hack, but if you have cable and no firewall then you may seriously consider gettting one, cause your chances are WAY higher.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 01:17:04 PM »
I have cable..Don't even know if I have a firewall..How do I get one?
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Jagv81st

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2002, 01:27:59 PM »
That might be it....ok, there are alot of different Firewalls to go after. I used to have Cable and I used Zonelabs.  Very good. But unless you know someone that can get it for you....not in the right way  :cool: ....then it can get expensive.  
  If you go to downloads  and put in Firewall as the search, you might be able to find some good ones. I hope that this helps some :D

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2002, 01:53:15 PM »
zone labs do i free firewall i used it for ages its good try it out you can get from the web site

Offline Jagv81st

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 02:08:56 PM »
Bingo, there you go Sirloin. Hope this kills the problems. Keep me informed sir!!

Offline PushRod

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 03:10:22 PM »
That was happening on mine. I have XP pro. When AH would start slowing down, and the HD light was on, I would Alt-Tab out to the desktop, CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager. Go to processes, and see which one is sucking up CPU percentages. Click on 'CPU' and it will sort the column. I think this works in NT2k also...

I found something that installed itself that I did not know about. Probably got there when I installed another program off the net. I just uninstalled it, so it was very easy.

Also if your running XP or W2k, check out Skuzzy's article on services..

Good luck.....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 03:12:35 PM by PushRod »

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2002, 08:57:55 AM »
Well,I installed a firewall.BUt with it activated,I cannot log into any arena.It connects to arena selection screen,I can see the # of players but "connection lost" when I enter.I quit the firewall and no problem entering...But again,in the middle of a fite,my PC starts to whir,frames drop to 8p/s,and I logg off in frustration.

Something is eating my CPU and don't know what.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2002, 09:35:09 AM »
Just noticed Skuzzy's tips post..Going to try it out.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2002, 09:39:55 AM »
Skuzzy,I am running windows Me and there is no Administration Tools icon for diagnostic...Is there another way to do it?
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2002, 03:47:20 PM »
Turn off system restore too SirLoin,also,are you running stuff in the background (antivirus,norton systemworks? ),if so turn them off before you play.
Login problem is ZA stopping you,alt tab out when trying to connect and "allow" aces to connect.
 Let us know how you are going.
 Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline SpadMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2002, 06:47:39 PM »
Could be your video card.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2002, 06:56:03 PM by SpadMan »

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2002, 08:10:00 PM »
well,if it aint hackers sirloin,,it could be your vidcard or your windows me updater<~~i got windows ME too,,and i have zonealarm firewall,,and all the time your windows is tring to reach out and update every time you sign online,,,so if you can shut down the windows updater in msconfig it mite help,,because i can tell when mine is tring to update because my games started to run like crap everytime it was tring to update or scan,,i had to turn everything off,,stupid windows updater ends up messing your computer up anyways then the problems it fixes,,lol

but allso i would check out the hard drive and vidcard,,sounds like vidcard if it drops to 8 fps,,what kinda card you runing? and how much memory?

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2002, 09:06:23 PM »
GF3 Ti500//520 ram.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2002, 10:41:00 PM »
go in ZA and bring up the list of programs and give permission for AH to access the net it should work fine always has done for me.