Author Topic: Is Someone Hacking My PC?..Help!  (Read 1005 times)

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
Is Someone Hacking My PC?..Help!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2002, 11:02:21 PM »
umm,,anuff memory thats for sure,,umm,did you check if auto update is turning its self on? or nortons?

geforce 3 should be good anuff,,ever have problems with it before?,,you have anothere card you can try in its place just too see if there is anything wrong

it mite just be a simple hard drive crashing,,doesnt matter what scan disk says or defrag,,they lie to you somtimes,,,if you know what kinda hard drive you have,,i guess you can go to there web site,,and download a scaner that will work for your drive,,because windows stock scan disk doesnt not pick up every flaw in a hard drive<~~my cousins computer just had a bad hard drive,,but scan disk came out perfict everytime and defrag,,and every time we pulled the trigger we got grafics lag,,and frame rate would go down to nothing,,,well after allmost rebooting his hole computer all his drivers,,checking vid card in my computer,,after all the trouble,,it turned out too be just a stupid hard drive,,it works great now,,lol

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2002, 11:03:06 PM »
and does the frame rate drop online and offine?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2002, 05:48:07 AM »
Make sure that you don't have FastFind installed or listed on your Windows startup routine.  

If you have QuickTime installed, make sure that you have LoadQM disabled in your startup routine and disabled in QuickTime options.

If you have WinME/2K/XP make sure that you have the auto-updater disabled.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2002, 01:55:20 PM »
Turn off ICQ as well, or at least put yourself in N/A or Occupied mode while playing.  I find that if an ICQ message window pops up while I'm playing, the game will start to stutter in the same frequency as the little message window is flashing.  Odd, but turning off ICQ stops it.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2002, 08:48:47 PM »
Disabled Autoupdate,closed all progs and still same...Is there any maintenance program that will tell my what function is driving my CPU crazy?
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2002, 01:49:23 AM »
Might be a virus scanner or indexing service hogging up your hd.

If you're worried about hackers, close AH and go into command prompt. There type netstat /a and you'll see every active connection to your computer. If you have no games running and no internet pages open, there should NOT be any 'established' connection between your computer and an address outside your own subnet.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2002, 02:33:47 AM »
On a sidenote and not really related to this problem, I used Sygates firewall for a time, also a free version, and it seemed to respond to AH version changes better than ZoneAlarm did. I'm on dialup so I stopped using a firewall all together for more resources.
Here's a link to them:
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Good luck with your problem,
fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2002, 02:52:51 AM »
the brand new zonealarm seems to work great with aces high now,,,just make sure you set it up to trust aces high,,i even hosted a little bit today,,with out any troubles

im afraid to tell you sir loin,,that your 3d card mite be bad,,,or maybe your hard drive is going to poo,,just because scan disk tells you its ok,,doesnt mean your hard drive aint going to hell<~~just got done fixin a computer that we allmost replaced everything to find out it was just  bad hard drive the hole time,,,scan disk and defrag said it was fine,,but it really wasnt,,,now all his problems are gone<~~no more bad frame rates or anything<~~his computer was making nosies too like it was allways doing somthing more,,it was just the hard drive slowing everything down and going to hell

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2002, 12:37:45 PM »
Originally posted by fuze
On a sidenote and not really related to this problem, I used Sygates firewall for a time, also a free version, and it seemed to respond to AH version changes better than ZoneAlarm did. I'm on dialup so I stopped using a firewall all together for more resources.
Here's a link to them:
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Good luck with your problem,
fuzeman

I use Nortons InterNet Security Firewall, it's a bit more user friendly than Zone Alarm Pro, and it updates with all the other Norton Utilities and Anti-virus, plus it can block ads, and also blocking unsuitable sites when the kids are using my PC when I turn that facility on. These are added to nearly every week. It doesn't interfere with AH which is "allowed".

However, it is yearly subscribed, so it costs a little but not much.

On my client computers (networked to my main one) I have ZA Pro, it works just fine, though it's not really necessary. :)

It's amazing how many attacks it stops, especially rogue websites that incorporate trojans. Mainly sub seven trojans, but there have been many others. and the blocks quite often occur when playing AH when some ports are open for the game. If you don't use a router then a software firewall is a must IMO.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2002, 02:53:17 PM »
Just a thought, but is it your email app polling for mail?

Offline VgasX

• Copper Member
Free disk space on Hard drive
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2002, 07:22:48 PM »
Check your free space on hard drive, Clear all unused space. Also you might want to uninstall video driver and reinstall latest driver. I believe Ti is a Detinator driver, There is a Detinator killer to uninstall all the detinator driver componets if you are using a Detinator driver now.
VegasX

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2002, 05:26:23 PM »
Originally posted by mrsid2
Might be a virus scanner or indexing service hogging up your hd.

If you're worried about hackers, close AH and go into command prompt. There type netstat /a and you'll see every active connection to your computer. If you have no games running and no internet pages open, there should NOT be any 'established' connection between your computer and an address outside your own subnet.

How do I enter "Command Promp?"
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2002, 10:53:21 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
How do I enter "Command Promp?"

Not sure if this guess is worth a whole two cents but here goes.
Could he mean the ms-dos prompt?
[ I use Win98se so I still have one. ]

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2002, 03:56:15 AM »
For win98: Start menu --> run --> type command
For Winnt, W2k, Winxp: Start menu --> run --> type cmd
« Last Edit: December 20, 2002, 03:59:51 AM by mrsid2 »