Author Topic: Overstepping the mark?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« on: December 16, 2002, 11:52:11 PM »
OK, I know theres a need to moderate some of the stuff on channel 1... yes another moderators whine.

But this is just a little silly...

Tonight I'm flying over A38, a P47 dives in and zooms out and I have the E to keep with him. He slows to get me overshoot and eventually I do, but I manage to push through and keep just out of gun range. A few more passes and this guy is good, but I keep my E in vertical zooms while he flies flat to the deck evading, eventually I get my shot in.

Later, back at 38, 3 P47s turn up high, I know its the 56FG, one zooms in on me and missed, I say "missed me frenchy", frenchy replied wasn't him, I replied "comon I saw garlic in the cockpit". The P47s stay high, I go in to clear another nits 6 of an La7 but I see a P47 peel in for me again, I nose down for speed and floor it. He saddles up and gets me. Its sancho.

What do I say? It was a good kill. No excuses, so all I can give the 56th guys back is "geez frenchy sending ya woman to get me? :D " <--- note the smiley face.

Next thing a moderator warning pops up, "VULCAN PLEASE BE COURTEOUS TO OTHER PLAYERS".

Now, this is light hearted banter on ch1. No accusations of cheating, foul words, or anything else. I flew with the 56th guys in one of the Norway scenarios - I know them they know me.

Can someone from HTC please tell me what I did wrong exactly? Did I really overstep the mark? Or did the moderator?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 12:00:35 AM »
In might have been about the insinuated insult to women.  There are a few women who play AH.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 12:13:52 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
In might have been about the insinuated insult to women.  There are a few women who play AH.

Indeed, and a few ladies as well! ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 12:15:01 AM »

Perfect! Perfect!  Perfect liberal response!  Even mentioning the existance of women in a joke is now considered evil sexism!  Perfect! Perfect!

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 12:24:39 AM »
Vulcan, hehehe. It was a good kill on me earlier, you kept your E and it was the only way for you not to get shot down, good show.:cool:

As far as the moderating warning, I don't see why you are so offended, it was just a warning or you got actually muted?

To tell you the truth, being called Frogy is pissing me off. The lame jockes about French are pissing me off. I know you didn't intend them as being mean, but if it wasn't for you, I'll start a fight in a bar with someone for it.

You may think it's funny, but for me, it's not really the case even if I know it's a "friendly punt". Assuming this, I'm not surprised that a moderator found them insulting too. For the story, Sancho didn't liked being called "frenchy's woman" either.:)

Honestly, no hard feeling Vulcan, but maybe something for you to consider and that may explain the moderator action.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline BlkWidow

• Copper Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 12:24:44 AM »

Yes, and I am one of them and IMO a woman has no business in the game if she's offended by such a remark.  

BW

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 12:38:29 AM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
For the story, Sancho didn't liked being called "frenchy's woman" either.:)

That was the point. Its what ribbing/banter is.

I get called sheepshagger, all the time cos I'm a kiwi. We have a game full of pommies, ozzies, canucks, and yanks. Hell, its part of the game. A bit of ribbing. Really frenchy I didn't think you're that think-skinned that a light reference to garlic or frogs would be so hurtful.

I don't think Sancho broke down in tears at his keyboard, threw his joystick into the corner and screamed "thats the last time they call me Frenchy's woman... I quit!".

Was there an endless tyraid of abuse on ch#1? No... there was a single line. Was there foul language? No... not even close.

Guess Ch#1's gonna be a quiet place here on in.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 12:56:19 AM »
GRUNHERZ,

I was simply positing a theory (one that only occurred after I'd left the thread), not saying that I agreed with be censured over it.  I do find the suggestion that women are inferior to be crass, but I'm not going on any crusades over it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 12:59:50 AM »
Vulcan was suggesting Frenchy was inferior and that he had to have his woman, Sancha, take care of bidness.  That is in fact quite empowering to womyn as your crowd might say.. :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2002, 01:04:02 AM »
I'm thinking of all of the blue banter that Vulcan and I have traded over the years...
And they warn him for THIS? :confused:
As Sgt. Hartman once said, "HOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY GEEEEEZUS!"

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 01:07:44 AM »
Funked I am offended at your insinuation that Jesus is holy...  Consider yourself warned your eurocentric racist sexist pig!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 01:12:13 AM »
Got warned tonight for yanking the resident Napoleon's chain too.  Beats me, moderator must be "spotting" this week  :p

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 02:03:31 AM »
Sounds like the frogs DGSE have infiltrated the AH moderator corps!

Ahhhhh it all makes sense now.

(Kiwis and the DGSE have a 'history')

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2002, 02:19:58 AM »
Wouldn't have bothered me, as I know the banter for what it is....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Overstepping the mark?
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2002, 03:36:29 AM »
bwahahahaha welcome to my world slobberdonkeys!!

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798