Author Topic: Under Construction  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Under Construction
« on: December 19, 2002, 03:19:47 AM »
I am making a new Cripes A'Mighty skin (with apologies to Superfly). I decided I needed a really detailed model to work with and I just happen to have a nice P51D started. Here it was in the very beginning (see attached). I am going to increase the polygon count by a factor of ten and render in Pov-Ray, which should eliminate the over-enhanced edges you see in both images (another post to follow).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 03:22:41 AM by Voss »

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 03:21:35 AM »
This is the completed work. The details will help to make a much more detailed skin with even more realism, but how it ends up looking in AH has yet to be determined. From my work on gauges I expect spectacular results.

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
Under Construction
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 03:44:57 AM »
Looks very nice....but, why?

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Under Construction
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 08:03:32 AM »
Looks good Voss!

Offline DOODY

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
new models
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 10:45:20 AM »
I didnt know you could embed new models in the game too!!

how is that done?

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 12:31:14 PM »
You can't and that's not the intention here.

You could just build a plastic model, take photographs of it, and then paste the images together to form a new skin. I'm doing it this way instead. The idea being that I should get photorealistic effects and accuracy that would be extremely difficult to attain with a paint program.

Plus I can reuse the models. :D

Offline Kevin14

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2002, 03:51:26 PM »
VERY GOOD!

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 12:10:41 AM »
You didn't deserve that off the cuff remark so I'll refrase it.

POV  ray doesn't offer anything for AH. Unless your 3d Modeling can be imported into AH. But I think thats Superfly's job. It's not just about 3d'ing airplanes, but sacrificing some details for lower Poly counts to make the game playable to all. I'm sure you know this. You tried in the past to Convert Me and others into using RayPOV before. I can't see what the program has to offer people making maps for AH. If you can enlighten me HOW this program will help people making maps , I'm all ears.

NUTTZ
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 05:24:38 PM by NUTTZ »

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2002, 05:49:50 AM »
Somebody has either hijacked your handle, learned your password, or the fine balance of sanity has slipped from your grasp. I'm betting on foul play. and I hope they release the hostages without further incident.

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2002, 12:08:56 PM »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 12:34:57 PM by 10Bears »

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Under Construction
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2002, 03:51:50 PM »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 03:59:07 PM by WldThing »

Offline DOODY

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2002, 07:15:16 PM »

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2002, 08:22:38 PM »
This is why you fail to use Pov-Ray, Nuttz. You don't understand it, or how it can come to make far better textures and skins than a mere paint program. Sure, it's SuperFly's job at HTC. We were given a skin editor to play with though. Are you saying that if a user makes a fantastic skin that it will be ignored? It sure sounds like it.

No, the above images have not seen Pov-Ray yet. Pov-Ray will make the base skins for which I will do color reduction and pasting to AH's format. Pov-Ray will produce a great starting place.

Map making? I'm not making a map here. This is where I am starting in the creation of a new skin. However, I told you in the past that Pov-Ray can make height-fields very easily. Height-fields are very easily controlled and manipulated if correctly coded. Further, they will be created directly into bitmap data, or a cunning programmer could create a custom version that outputs directly into the AH map format. Pov-Ray is open source. HT gave us the tools and has made this really very easy. Anyone that has just a few coding skills could save a great deal of time by using Pov-Ray.

I really thought you would have more insight then you do.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2002, 08:57:19 PM »
I use Corel draw in my everyday use, It suits my needs being vector based. Bundled with CorelPaint, It's a program that I prefer. It does not make me ignorant to other programs that are used by others, nor am i saying Corel IS the greatest program out there. I'll admit i'm not well versed in RayPOV, But that is not my point. My point being "IF" it is a great program and can run circles around most paint and 3d programs, WHY haven't we've seen ANYTHING in AH from rayPOV, either 3d or textures For 3 years the Terrain Editor has been around? I'm not saying that you Can't make great textures In rayPOV, nor did i say "fantastic" skins should be Ignored. But it has been 3 years now and sofar i see nothing.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Voss
This is why you fail to use Pov-Ray, Nuttz. You don't understand it, or how it can come to make far better textures and skins than a mere paint program. Sure, it's SuperFly's job at HTC. We were given a skin editor to play with though. Are you saying that if a user makes a fantastic skin that it will be ignored? It sure sounds like it.

No, the above images have not seen Pov-Ray yet. Pov-Ray will make the base skins for which I will do color reduction and pasting to AH's format. Pov-Ray will produce a great starting place.

Map making? I'm not making a map here. This is where I am starting in the creation of a new skin. However, I told you in the past that Pov-Ray can make height-fields very easily. Height-fields are very easily controlled and manipulated if correctly coded. Further, they will be created directly into bitmap data, or a cunning programmer could create a custom version that outputs directly into the AH map format. Pov-Ray is open source. HT gave us the tools and has made this really very easy. Anyone that has just a few coding skills could save a great deal of time by using Pov-Ray.

I really thought you would have more insight then you do.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2002, 11:19:49 PM »
Case in point, your explanation on tiling. How long does it take you to go through those steps? Wouldn't it be much easier just to open up Pov-Ray, edit one filename in the code listing to follow, and then render to a 256x256 image?

Change "Nuttz.bmp" to what ever image you are trying to tile. Yes, you still have to reduce the color count.

#version 3.1;

global_settings { max_trace_level 75 assumed_gamma 1.5 ambient_light 0
   radiosity { brightness 1 count 300 distance_maximum 1 error_bound 1
      gray_threshold .5 low_error_factor 1 minimum_reuse 1 nearest_count 1
      recursion_limit 1 } }

#include "Colors.inc"

#declare TilePigment = pigment { image_map { sys "Nuttz.bmp" } frequency 1.2 phase 0 lambda 2 omega .5 turbulence 1.67 }

light_source { <-500,500,-350> color rgb 5 } //5*<.65,.46,.1> }

#ifndef (TilePigment)
      #warning "No TilePigment specified.  Pigment not tiled.\n"
   #else
      #ifndef (TileSize) #declare _TX_size = <1, 1, 1>
         #else #declare _TX_size = TileSize * <1, 1, 1> #end

#declare _TX_xpigment = pigment {gradient x pigment_map {
         [0 TilePigment scale <1 / _TX_size.x, 1, 1>]
         [1 TilePigment scale <1 / _TX_size.x, 1, 1> translate x]}}
      plane {z, 0 pigment {gradient y pigment_map {
         [0 _TX_xpigment scale <1, 1 / _TX_size.y, 1>]
         [1 _TX_xpigment scale <1, 1 / _TX_size.y, 1> translate y]}}
         finish {ambient .45}}
      camera {location <.5, .5, -1> look_at <.5, .5, 0> orthographic up y right x}
   #end
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 11:34:02 PM by Voss »