Author Topic: German svastika  (Read 4650 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
German svastika
« on: December 26, 2002, 02:35:12 PM »
I am making update and couple of new skins to FinRus CT-map and I have one question:

Can I use svastika on German plane's tails or is there some rules/laws you can not use them?

I really have NOT nazi sympathizes, but I think of them in historical meaning on skins!
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
German svastika
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 03:07:10 PM »
I think it is best not too.  

Some countries have laws regarding the display of the swastika.

Might want to email HT and ask him for yourself.

F.

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
German svastika
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 03:55:24 PM »
Wow.

There was a few people that really went ape over the Finnish AF emblem on some of the skins you made. They were  informed, that it was not the Nazi Swastika, and that calmed most of them down.
However you may get grief from some of the more politically correct people if you actually add the German swastika to the tails.
Personally I don't have a problem with it.  You got to wiegh the fact that it's not really going to be visable being on the tails, but of those people who do actually see it, some are going to be offended.

Like I said your choice, but you would prob be better off leaving that one alone.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
German svastika
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 03:58:19 PM »
Originally posted by Löwe
Wow.

There was a few people that really went ape over the Finnish AF emblem on some of the skins you made. They were  informed, that it was not the Nazi Swastika, and that calmed most of them down.
However you may get grief from some of the more politically correct people if you actually add the German swastika to the tails.
Personally I don't have a problem with it.  You got to wiegh the fact that it's not really going to be visable being on the tails, but of those people who do actually see it, some are going to be offended.

Like I said your choice, but you would prob be better off leaving that one alone.

My sentiments exactly!

eskimo

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
German svastika
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 04:23:54 PM »
Ya if you ask me they ought top just grow up and get over it, but a lot of people get get quiet bent about such things, better to leve that dog a naping.

To help get in the mood I have an aray of head bands. A big rising sun one I tie on, or a Nice Swastica one for German planes, I have one for when I fly spits thats says 'Puss" on it but I havent worn it in years, I could be preswaded to part with it if their any takers?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2002, 04:26:06 PM by brady »

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
German svastika
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2002, 04:52:15 PM »
OK OK!!!:D

As I said, my aspect is only historical and those things just happened and the signs were what they were.

This is a great game and we don't need politics with it... it's not so necessary thing if it irritates some people!;)
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
German svastika
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2002, 05:08:43 PM »
kanttori,

No.

It is illegal to use that symbol for anthing, even simulators, in Germany.  For this reason it is highly likely that HTC would not accept a map with such skins for CT use.

(France may also have laws about it, but I seem to recall their anti-Nazi laws didn't cover the swastica)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
German svastika
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2002, 05:15:09 PM »
As Furious said.  It is my understanding that display of the swastika is banned in Germany except in historical/educational settings.  Use in a game is not considered to be one of those settings by the powers that be.
Since we do have some players in Germany, it could possibly present a problem for them from an legal standpoint.  I'm not sure how their laws apply in cases of Internet traffic.

To illustrate the point, the international version of IL-2 Sturmovik(granted, it's a boxed sim, not purely online) defaults to the blue-dot-in-white roundel for Finns and an absence of the swastika on German planes.  Those of us who aren't barred from it by law can enable the historic markings with a simple add-on utility.  The Russian version defaults to the historic markings -- no such laws against its display there.  (Ironic, huh?)

Anyway, I'd reluctantly weigh in with the prevailing view.  Leave'em off the tails of the German planes.  Keep using the proper markings for the Finnish planes -- there's already an AH precedent with the 109 G2

Splash1

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
German svastika
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2002, 08:00:44 PM »
The "Maltese Cross" is a fine replacement/compromise for the Swastika.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
German svastika
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2002, 08:28:26 PM »
Thats not a Maltese cross.

nice looking plane though:D

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
German svastika
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2002, 05:16:55 AM »
The US version of Combat Misssion: Barbarossa to Berlin has SS units and the respective insignia.

The European version is distributed by the German company CDV, and it has all SS units replaced with Panzer Grenadiers or some such unit. This goes even for British versions of the game.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Re: German svastika
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2002, 11:50:03 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
I am making update and couple of new skins to FinRus CT-map and I have one question:

Can I use svastika on German plane's tails or is there some rules/laws you can not use them?

I really have NOT nazi sympathizes, but I think of them in historical meaning on skins!

Ya know, this reminds me of halloween in Germany, circa 1957...  Here it was cool to fashion a "ghost" costume from an old pillow case and sheet.  But on arriving in Virginia in 1964, it was like frowned upon, for some bizarre reason... :(

I agree it's just a symbol from an age long past.  And IMHO, people SHOULD just get over it.  Or, at least stick their heads in the sand like before and ignore it.  Which is probably why it engenders such animosity.
Similar cases can be brought forth wherein one ethnicity is caught traveling in another ethnicity's turf.  

Racial hatered is a "LEARNED" thing, taught to the truly ignorant that wish only to be led around by the nose by their supposedly great and honest example of leadership.  Most of whom are taking bribes under the table anyway, and just want to stir the pot for their own gain, and deffenitely NOT the gain of their followers.  Be these leaders parents, religious, governmental, they are all culpable in the spreading of myths to further their own ends.

I say leave it in, IF you are going for historical accuracy.  If not, then follow your heart.  Either way, the fear mongerers will have won their battle, so the point is rather mute, no?
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
German svastika
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2002, 04:55:39 PM »
I think the problem is not so much that it is illegal in some countries for very good reasons (there are even tards in the US that want to ban flag burning).  It is that when people are flying axis in here, it is not because they agree with the political movement of the 30s and 40s of germany, it is because they like the planes guys like kurt designed.  The swastika is nothing more than a political symbol.  It would be like slapping a donkey on the tail of all the american planes cause a democrat was in the white house during the war.

AAANNNDDDD... you have to admit, what those bastards did is sooo fricking terrible, that telling people to 'get over it' is probably not the best thing to say.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
German svastika
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2003, 11:17:46 AM »
I was refering to the placement of the swastica on the tails, I mean it is realy silly if you think about we all know they were they their, and when I think of these planes I always see the Swastica even if it is not their.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
German svastika
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2003, 12:36:59 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
........AAANNNDDDD... you have to admit, what those bastards did is sooo fricking terrible, that telling people to 'get over it' is probably not the best thing to say.

Try reversing the symbol back to its original EGYPTIAN(?) design.  Then no-one can say a thing about it because it isn't NAZI anymore. :eek:

Now to be totally honest... we (the USA) did some pretty horrible things in WW2 also.  Thus if 'we' follow your reasoning, ALL planes in AH should not have U.S. nor Nazi markings.  Oh yes, let us not forget the Japanese death marches, and that means another countries 'flag' gets removed.

Wonder what the Finns, and Russians did?  Look it up.

So now we have a WW2 "fantasy/alternate universe world that needs NEW flags/symbols for all of its vehicles/planes/ships, yes? :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2003, 12:39:43 PM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/